Mobileread
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)
#2921  Catlady 07-02-2020, 08:51 PM
I listened to Riley Sager's new book, Home Before Dark. This was a fun book-within-a-book, with dual narration--the author of a "true" account of living in a haunted house, and his daughter who inherits the house 25 years later.

It had a bit of a Haunting of Hill House (Shirley Jackson) vibe and also reminded me a little of A Head Full of Ghosts (Paul Tremblay). There was nothing especially original, but it was engrossing and well-done and held my interest throughout.

The narrators were good; both of them are soap opera veterans--Cady McClain (All My Children) and Jon Lindstrom (General Hospital).

#2922  CRussel 07-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Finished The Shooting at Chateau Rock, the latest from Martin Walker in his Bruno, Chief of Police series. Excellent, as always, and the narration from Robert Ian MacKenzie is also excellent.

Now listening to Barnburner, an early Sharon Lee mystery featuring Jennifer Pierce. Narrated by Traci Odom, a new one for me. There were only two of these Maine mysteries from Sharon Lee, and I've read them in eBook format ages ago, but it will be interesting to listen to them. So far, Ms. Odom sounds like a Mainer when she should, so that's a generally good thing.

#2923  Tarana 07-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Finished Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold and narrated by Grover Gardner. He is perfect for this series. Vorkosigan series mostly follows Miles and the unusual ways his life follows.

Currently listening to the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury narrated by Scott Brick. I've never been as much of a fan of Bradbury's writing as I have of his screen plays. Lack of action, I think. This book is a series of short stories with the same theme. Skip the first couple of minutes of Bradbury's name dropping.

#2924  CRussel 07-07-2020, 01:08 AM
Quote Tarana
Finished Diplomatic Immunity by Lois McMaster Bujold and narrated by Grover Gardner. He is perfect for this series. Vorkosigan series mostly follows Miles and the unusual ways his life follows.
Grover Gardner does an excellent job with this series. Recommended.

#2925  ApK 07-07-2020, 09:07 AM
Quote CRussel
Grover Gardner does an excellent job with this series. Recommended.

#2926  CRussel 07-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Currently listening to A Grave Talent by Laurie R. King, and narrated by Alyssa Bresnahan. I read this book nearly 30 years ago, but this is the first time I've listened to it. The narrator, sadly, is no better than so-so. A stretch to 3 stars. However, not bad enough to abandon it.

#2927  pwalker8 07-07-2020, 06:34 PM
I have a bit over 4 hours left on my current book(Smoke Bitten), so I should finish it this weekend. Since Peace Talks comes out on Tuesday, I'm going to have to make sure I pick a short one if I finish up before then.

#2928  CRussel 07-11-2020, 12:51 AM
Quote CRussel
Currently listening to A Grave Talent by Laurie R. King, and narrated by Alyssa Bresnahan. I read this book nearly 30 years ago, but this is the first time I've listened to it. The narrator, sadly, is no better than so-so. A stretch to 3 stars. However, not bad enough to abandon it.
Nearly finished, and I admit, the narrator has grown on me. Now a solid 3 stars, maybe 4? No, but a solid 3. I will be reading the rest of this series, probably as a straight through binge listen. Because while I have lots of books to listen to, none of them is calling to me right now.

#2929  issybird 07-11-2020, 08:19 AM
Europe’s Last Summer by David Fromkin and read by Alan Sklar has been a terrible plod, both text and narration. I just renewed it a third time, but at least the end is in sight. I won’t be listening to Sklar read again.

#2930  SeaBookGuy 07-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Finished The Disappearance of Adèle Bedeau yesterday. Took a while for me to get into this one, which I'd call a hybrid novel-police procedural. Alternating point-of-view between the detective and chief suspect was a format I didn't feel I'd like, but it worked here. Will probably read the sequel as well at some point.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (293/295)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register