Mobileread
smart glasses as ebook reader - intelligente Brillen als ebookreader
#11  mdp 03-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Please see my post and thread,
Augmented Reality - Epson Moverio BT-300
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3816726

I found this thread while preliminarly searching for existing topics. But it seems I am probably the first one to actually introduce available AR products... Good.

Quote famfam
Why is there no ebook reader in the form of smart glasses (smart glasses, google glass, sony glass etc.). Unfortunately, the development in this area seems to have stagnated for years. But I am convinced that reading ebooks with smart glasses is the only true thing. Why no one has come to this is a mystery to me
Eh? No, there are products. Pls see my post.

Quote famfam
Or does someone know an intelligent data glasses, with which one could comfortably read lying on the couch his ebook
No. The AR product I have and reviewed is to be used while moving in a natural environment. It would (does) look terrible in "slouchy mode". For a couch and hands-free experience, I would recommend a head mounted mechanical arm (not joking - if that's what you need...). But stability of the "glasses" for comfortable reading is given and proven, while to hold firmly in place arm and reader, the weighs may be clearly an issue.

#12  mdp 03-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Quote John F
Excellent idea. I probably wouldn't buy one until I read a bunch of positive reviews first
You got your first one.

Quote John F
Is the display technology there yet? I'm used to 300dpi, is this doable?
Yes. Transparent Si-OLED, 1280x720 displays for example.
While the resolution remains important, the DPI notion is not fully relevant with twin screens an inch from your eyes.

Quote John F
Page turning? Remote device, or could it track eye movement reliably?
Hand control, vocal control... Yes, "eye gesture" is a possibility, but there exists a set of features you are supposed to control, of which your hands are an example - as the Police may have reminded you -, while others (the eyes) like to be free and it is easily unnatural, fatiguing in practice to control them (you may turn pages unwillingly etc.). Also, I believe continuous services like eye tracking would be battery drainers.

Quote John F
Battery life? I would want at least 5 hours battery life, longer if it doesn't have quick wireless charging.
You can already get more than 5hrs, with optimized setups. As written elsewhere, an external bank can help.

#13  mdp 03-03-2019, 06:58 AM
Quote Philippe D.
What a horrible idea. "Smart glasses" in themselves are already something that I'd positively hate, but using such a device just to read without having the page at normal distance... ugh!
Philippe, freedom is an objectively progressive parameter, and you are too used to your beautiful cozy University ambients... On Friday I read very proficiently for many hours while discussing territorial matters with wild boars taming the drifts of spunky streams. Which I would normally do with boredom and the feeling of being wasting my time. So, it may not just a matter of "normal distance". It is a matter of having information available anytime, outside the library (it is not "mobile reading" if you do not at least jump and skip once in a while).

#14  mdp 03-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Quote eldon
As an experiment, I have just installed FBreader on Google Glass (XE-C).

I was surprised at how easy it was to read the words of a book on the small screen.

Battery life on Google Glass is abysmal. A drains completely in an hour or two with the screen constantly on.

I used a wireless keyboard to turn the pages of the book.

Because of the battery life issue, Glass has to be plugged into a power source which makes the whole endeavour awkward.

Google Glass also has only one screen directly in front of the right eye so you are ready with only one eyeball. I found it more comfortable reading with my left eye closed.

I am nearsighted and wear prescription lenses, but even using G Glass without prescription frames, the text is easy to read for me which was surprising.
Hi Eldon,
yes the reading is surprisingly doable and efficient. The Epson Moverio BT-300 have a 6hrs specs and 5+hrs in my tests. They do not need radio (though they have almost all of them, Wi-Fi to GPS). To connect a power bank to the BT-300 you would have the main cable coming from "bottom" and the power cable coming from the "right side", so it would not be optimal either. Nonetheless, as written, 5hrs/day of that kind of reading is probably enough. The BT-300 uses two displays, one per eye, with transparent background.

#15  mdp 03-03-2019, 07:09 AM
Quote skillachie
I feel it might be too much in my face and it might put a strain on my eyes
No, strain noted and actively managed only the first day. You learn how to use them.
As per the "in my face", the experience was actually beautiful, fulfilling, completing, "this is what I needed, this is what I longed for".

#16  skillachie 03-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Quote mdp
No, strain noted and actively managed only the first day. You learn how to use them.
As per the "in my face", the experience was actually beautiful, fulfilling, completing, "this is what I needed, this is what I longed for".
Anyway to see screenshots of what it looks like from your point of view when reading? Also how does it look on the person? Is it clunky?

#17  mdp 03-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Quote skillachie
Anyway to see screenshots of what it looks like from your point of view when reading?
Not directly, but it can be reconstructed to give the idea. I will post it later.

Quote skillachie
Also how does it look on the person? Is it clunky?
If you need to ask, you probably do not want to be seen wearing it ; ) .
The IT identity of the product is not concealed. (It has a cable going down from the left...) The design is very (in absolute terms) to extremely (in relative terms) good, and yet it could look much better if the glasses were shorter (width-wise): the 15cm length may remind of Hajime Sorayama's mortgage paying sales strategy products.

Mine are with silver body (instead of black) and I normally wear them with the lighter sun-filter plugin (instead of bare, fully transparent, or with the heavy sun-filter plugin), so they may look like this pictures (the first edited from available stock, especially to add the "shades", the others from video):

image » image »

Given the vastly different effect of the available pictures, maybe you are better off with checking the available videos.
epson_moverio_bt-300_shades_worn.jpg epson_moverio_bt-300_shades_worn_2.jpg epson_moverio_bt-300_shades_worn_3.jpg 

#18  mdp 03-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Quote skillachie
Anyway to see screenshots of what it looks like from your point of view when reading?
Posted in the original thread.

#19  a12k 07-03-2019, 07:01 AM
The screenshots from the original thread show the background is still not dark nor opaque enough. I like the overall idea though.. anyone know what causes the lack of background opaque/darkness (/ overall contrast) and what needs to happen to improve it

#20  mdp 07-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Quote a12k
The screenshots from the original thread show the background is still not dark nor opaque enough. I like the overall idea though.. anyone know what causes the lack of background opaque/darkness (/ overall contrast) and what needs to happen to improve it
That the background is transparent is a feature, not a bug: that is an Augmented Reality device, not a Virtual Reality device - they are made to merge environment and computerized information. If you want the Moverio to hide the environment (which would be your personal customization), attach the darkest shades plugin which is packaged with the device. More clearly, you can use them as they are - full clear semi (say 90%) transparent screens -, or with the "sunshades" plugin, or with the "very opaque shades" plugin.

Contrast, you have a control (it makes the brights brighter). It seems to definitely impact on the battery.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register