FREE/BARGAIN — Romance & Discussion
#3551  library addict 10-02-2022, 02:01 PM
Weekly Report:

Read:

Purchased:
none

#3552  Terisa de morgan 10-02-2022, 02:51 PM
Quote library addict
Just a heads up, if any of you are in KU and want to try Lindsay Buroker's books she plans to take more of her completed series wide in 2023.

I think the ones currently in KU are Dragon Gate, Star Kingdom, and A Witch in Wolf Wood.

Not sure if she plans to take Death Before Dragons out yet as she's writing a spin-off series. But she mentioned the other three series in her newsletter today.
Thank you for the heads up, I think I'm up to date but I'll check it.

#3553  sufue 10-02-2022, 06:37 PM
A Promise of Fire is £0.99 at Kindle UK right now.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D9011LO
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D9011LO

Quote ferrywoman
The first two books in Amanda Bouchet's The Kingmaker Chronicles trilogy are $0.99 each.

A Promise of Fire

Spoiler Warning below

Kingdoms will rise and fall for her...

"Cat" Catalia Fisa lives disguised as a soothsayer in a traveling circus. She is perfectly content avoiding the danger and destiny the Gods—and her homicidal mother—have saddled her with. That is, until Griffin, an ambitious warlord from the magic-deprived south, fixes her with his steely gaze and upsets her illusion of safety forever.

But not if she can help it

Griffin knows Cat is the Kingmaker, the woman who divines the truth through lies. He wants her as a powerful weapon for his newly conquered realm—until he realizes he wants her for much more than her magic. Cat fights him at every turn, but Griffin's fairness, loyalty, and smoldering advances make him increasingly hard to resist and leave her wondering if life really does have to be short, and lived alone.
{edited other book}

#3554  apesmom 10-02-2022, 09:59 PM
This week . . .

Call of Crows by Shelly Laurenston
#3 - The Unyielding - 3.5
Listened, I don't like this narrator (Johanna Parker), luckily she's not on the remaining 3 Aiken/Laurenston series I have left. I don't know if Laurenston's usual humor is lost in the narration or if this series just fell flat with me. Published in 2017, doesn't feel like the series is over but if she doesn't pick it up again, OK with me.
Mercy Thompson Universe by Patricia Briggs
#19 - Soul Taken (Mercy Thompson #13) - 5
Read this one. I don't get tired of the intricacies of pack hierarchy or political implications in the Tri-Cities but poor Mercy must be so tired of the beatings.
BDB by J.R. Ward
#22 - Where Winter Finds You - 3
#23 - The Sinner - 4
Same old narrator, OK. #22 Resolves outstanding issues with "The Shadows". She's clearly laid out the tie-ins with the Fallen Angel series, of which I still have 2 books to go in the series. It's been 8 years since I read book 4 but I'm going to finish it off before proceeding with the rest of BDB. It's actually a good spot to pause, major arc ends in #23 and now there are 2 spinoffs starting up in the next few books.
Shifters Unbound by Jennifer Ashley
#7 - Mate Bond - 3.5
Listened, narration OK. I have several more of these but need to read the next 3 novellas before picking up with the audio again. Could be a while.
Scarred Earth by G.A. Aiken
#1 - The Blacksmith Queen - 4
Listened, narration good. Same world as Dragonkin but very far away from that territory, maybe they'll meet up in later books. New cast of characters, very likable bad-ass heroine in this first book.

Purchased: none

#3555  apesmom 10-06-2022, 03:56 PM
Freebie! Psyched, I need all 3 of these.

Cold Justice Box Set Set: Volume III (Books #7-9) by Toni Anderson
Spoiler Warning below

Set contains:
COLD SECRETS. Finalist in the Book Buyer’s Best contest.
COLD MALICE. Finalist in the Daphne du Maurier Award For Excellence In Mystery/Romantic Suspense.
A COLD DARK PROMISE (An Oversized Wedding Novella)

COLD SECRETS
When an international ring of traffickers kidnaps an eight-year-old girl in Boston, FBI Agent Lucas Randall heads undercover. But his rescue operation goes disastrously wrong and Lucas barely escapes with his life. Now the ruthless traffickers are hunting him down, along with everyone else who threatens their operation.

Computer expert Ashley Chen joined the FBI to fight against evil in the world—evil she experienced firsthand. She has mad skills, and deadly secrets, and once she starts working with Lucas, she also has big trouble, because after years of pushing people away, she’s falling for the guy. The feeling is more than mutual, but as Ashley intensifies her online pursuit of the trafficking ring, her traumatic past collides with her present and suddenly Lucas can’t tell which side she’s on. And as the case escalates into a high-stakes game of cat and mouse, it turns out Ashley isn’t the only one with something to hide.

COLD MALICE
ASAC Steve (Mac) McKenzie is out to prove himself by leading a task force investigating a series of murders in the heart of Washington, DC. His undercover work in an antigovernment compound twenty years earlier is related—as is the sweet, innocent girl he befriended back then. Now that girl is a beautiful woman, and she has something to hide.

Tess Fallon spent a lifetime trying to outrun her family’s brand of bigotry, but someone is threatening her anonymity by using the anniversary of her father’s death to carry out evil crimes and she’s terrified her younger brother is involved. She sets out to find the truth and comes face-to-face with a man she once idolized, a man she thought long dead. As the crimes escalate it becomes obvious the killer has an agenda, and Tess and Mac are running out of time to stop him.

A COLD DARK PROMISE
In the midst of wedding preparations, a shadowy figure from Alex Parker's past reappears and threatens the joy he’s found with Mallory Rooney.

Four years ago, Jane Sanders’s rich and powerful ex-husband kidnapped their young daughter and Jane hasn’t seen her since. Now she finally has a lead on her location and she knows just the man to help her get her daughter back. Trouble is, he’s an assassin. And he terrifies her.

Despite his upcoming nuptials, Alex agrees to help, but it doesn’t take long for the routine operation to turn complicated—and deadly. Can the former CIA operative make it home in time to marry the woman he loves, or will his dark past destroy all hope for their future?

The Cold Justice® series books are interconnected, but standalone Romantic Thrillers, whose stories center around agents from the FBI's BAU-4, and other spin-off characters from the books.
Kindle | Kobo | Google

#3556  apesmom 10-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Freebie! Another well-rated Susan Stoker. Book 1 in this series was free back in May so you may have it.

Finding Lexie (SEAL Team Hawaii #2)
Spoiler Warning below

A chance encounter reunites two old friends. They never imagined finding each other again, or the attraction and danger that would result.

Lexie Greene hasn’t thought about Pierce Cagle in years. So when the popular boy she knew in high school shows up in the middle of the Somali desert, part of the SEAL team rescuing her and a coworker from kidnappers, she’s more than a little shocked. But her surprise turns to awe, then awe to respect…and attraction…when he saves her not once, but twice before they make it safely back to a US Naval ship. Before she can blink, he’s gone from her life again, but not before an emotional goodbye and a promise to keep in touch.

Pierce “Midas” Cagle hasn’t thought about Lexie in years. Though he’s not surprised in the least to learn that the shy, kind girl he knew is now an international aid worker, serving the poor both at home and abroad. His attraction to the woman she’s become, however…that’s definitely unexpected. He hates leaving her behind after his mission, but Midas is more thrilled than he can say when she chooses the Hawaiian branch of Food For All for her next assignment.

Their chemistry is just as strong as it was in Somalia, and neither Lexie nor Midas has ever been so happy. Nor could they possibly suspect someone is outraged that Lexie made it out of the desert alive.
Kindle | Kobo | Google

#3557  apesmom 10-08-2022, 03:21 PM
Freebie! Another author I haven't gotten around trying yet. Book 1 in this series is frequently free so you may have it.

Oak & Thorns (Wild Hunt #2) by Yasmine Galenorn
Spoiler Warning below

Caught between the worlds of Light and Dark Fae, Ember Kearney was born with the mark of the Silver Stag. Rejected by both her bloodlines, she’s turned her back on her people to become a freelance investigator. Ember and her best friend Angel are led into a glittering world of conspiracy and danger when they are recruited to join the Wild Hunt, run by Herne, son of the god Cernunnos and the Faerie goddess, Morgana. Now, Ember must not only face her heritage, but she’s bound to preserve the balance between the Fae Courts, for if order isn’t maintained, war and chaos will spill out into the mortal realm.

Oak & Thorns:
When Herne and Ember are approached by the matriarch of a group of water-horse shifters to help find her cousin's murderer, the Wild Hunt is drawn into a dark and shadowed world of the Ante-Fae. But as the team delves into the details of the grisly death, they uncover evidence of a string of murders that leads them directly into the court of Blackthorn. Caught in a mire of political intrigue and shadow magic, will Ember and Herne be able to bring the serial killer to light, or will the King of Thorns manage to silence them forever?

#3558  apesmom 10-09-2022, 03:03 PM
This week . . .

Guild Codex Universe by Annette Marie
#19 - The Unbreakable Bladesong Druid (GCU: Unveiled #4) - 4.5
KU, read this one. End of the Saber/Zack arc. Supposed to be more coming from the Warped arc and I'd really like a full Darius story but haven't seen any mention of that happening. I have a feeling the next Warped book will tell us what's going on with Kit and Darius during the events of this book. 19 books in and I still think this is one of the best things on KU.
Romantic Suspense by Karen Rose
#22 - Say You're Sorry (Sacremento #1) - 4.5
#23 - Into the Dark (Cincinnati #5) - 4.5
Listened, male narrator for a change but makes sense since POV is more hero than heroine in this one. Don't care for the narrator's character voicing, female horrible but male also bad, story is good enough that it faded into the background. Another long book I couldn't step away from. In #23 my favorite narrator is back but I think this is her last one in the existing Karen Rose titles (Hillary Huber). A couple devastating scenes in this one but so good. Last of the Cincinnati stories.
Hard Play by Nalini Singh
#1 - Cherish Hard - 3.5
Listened, narration is good.
Hidden Legacy by Ilona Andrews
#6 - Ruby Fever - 4.5
Listened, narration is very good. Wrapped up the loose ends but opened the way for the Arabella's story.
Fallen Angels by J.R. Ward
#5 - Possession - 3.5
#6 - Immortal - 4
Listened, narration is good. Narrator is better than who they use for BDB. Took a while to re-orientate in the series but after a bit it started to come back to me and I didn't feel the need to relisten to the earlier books. Filled in a couple holes that appeared in BDB #23. Series finished but guessing I'll be seeing some of the characters appear in later BDB books, especially Lassiter (in 2023).
BDB by J.R. Ward
#24 - The Jackal (BDB: Prison Camp #1) - 4
Listened, same narrator as the rest of BDB, OK. Spin-off series slow to start but got interesting.
Inkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews
#1 - Clean Sweep - 4.5
Listened on Scribd. This is the first time I've listened to an acted book with multiple character actors, sound effects and everything. It took a bit to get used to it then I really enjoyed it. The actor they have playing Sean has the kind of voice that would be great for the BDB series. The world and characters are interesting and the dynamic between the MCs is fun so far. I've already started #2.

#3559  library addict 10-09-2022, 03:35 PM
Weekly Report:

Read:

Purchased:
None. Just freebies.

#3560  tempest@de 10-10-2022, 07:28 AM
Quote apesmom
Romantic Suspense by Karen Rose
#22 - Say You're Sorry (Sacremento #1) - 4.5
#23 - Into the Dark (Cincinnati #5) - 4.5
Listened, male narrator for a change but makes sense since POV is more hero than heroine in this one. Don't care for the narrator's character voicing, female horrible but male also bad, story is good enough that it faded into the background. Another long book I couldn't step away from. In #23 my favorite narrator is back but I think this is her last one in the existing Karen Rose titles (Hillary Huber). A couple devastating scenes in this one but so good. Last of the Cincinnati stories.
I love her books and they are great as audiobooks, but I couldn’t listen to this series because of the narrator, I’m happy than in the next series she didn’t use the same narrator.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (356/369)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register