Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Romance & Discussion
#3531  apesmom 09-15-2022, 02:13 PM
Freebie! Great series! The next installment is due out on 10/13 and a holiday novella on 11/10. So much goodness.

Dragons Don't Eat Meat (Valkyrie Bestiary #1) by Kim McDougall
Spoiler Warning below

Someone is killing dragons. And the killings point to a civil war brewing among the fae.

When Kyra Greene finds an abandoned baby dragon, she doesn’t want to bring him home. But until she can hunt down his thunder and stop the dragon killers, she’s on babysitting duty.

As a pest controller with a soft heart, Kyra already has an apartment full of rescues, including a basilisk who thinks he’s a turkey, a banshee nanny, and a pygmy kraken. She might take care of them, but they also fill her need for family. And when that family is threatened, she’ll risk everything to save them. She’ll even join forces with the handsome and irritating captain of the city’s vigilante Guardians, who never fails to show up at her most undignified moments.

Along with a quirky cast of misfits and unruly critters, Kyra leaves the safety of Montreal Ward and travels through the dangerous Inbetween—the land beyond the protected city states, where magic is the only rule of law. Can she reunite the lost dragon with his thunder and stop a new and sinister force from invading their home?

With over 400 five-star reviews, see why readers are calling Dragons Don’t Eat Meat a laugh-out-loud adventure with delightfully evil critters and a slow-burn romance.

#3532  apesmom 09-18-2022, 03:23 PM
This week . . .

Call of Crows by Shelly Laurenston
#2 - The Undoing - 3.5
Listened, narration not as annoying as book #1 but still only OK. One left in the series.
Romantic Suspense Series by Karen Rose
#18 - Alone in the Dark (Cincinnati #3) - 4.5
#19 - Monster in the Closet (Baltimore #5) - 4
#20 - Edge of Darkness (Cincinnati #4) - 4.5
Listened, narration is very good on all of them. #18 is another long book that covers just a few days. I go into these thinking I'll listen to it over a few days and end up unable to stop. #19 not quite as compelling but still good.
Midnight Breed by Lara Aidrian
#12.5 - Tempted by Midnight - 3
#13 - Bound to Darkness - 4
#14 - Defy the Dawn - 4
Listened to #13, narration is very good. Story more interesting than prior books but I'm not going to get the novellas that I don't already have. I have one more then I'll stop with this series for a while.
Kit Colbana by J.C. Daniels (aka Shiloh Walker)
#6.9 - Doyle - 4
Recently released short story. After a long hiatus since the last one, book #7 is slated to release on 12/5/22! Love the world and characters but I hope she uses a decent copy editor on the next one.
Solving for Pie by Penny Reid
#1 - Engagement and Espionage - 4
Listened, narration is very good. Winston brothers spin off but timeline-wise it fits in after book #4. Ebook is still free.

Turns out that both the Karen Rose and Lara Adrian books are all narrated by Hillary Huber. I guess I'm a new fan of her audioboooks.

Purchased: $0.99 deal
9-18.jpg 

#3533  library addict 09-18-2022, 05:15 PM
Weekly Report:

Read:

Purchased:
books 9-18.JPG 

#3534  apesmom 09-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Freebies!

This one has been on my KU list:
It's a Wonderful Midlife Crisis (Good to the Last Death #1) by Robyn Peterman
Spoiler Warning below

A Paranormal Women's Fiction with a bit of class, and a lot of sass, for anyone who feels like age is just a number!

Whoever said life begins at forty must have been heavily medicated, drunk, or delusional.

Thirty-nine was a fantastic year. I was married to the man I loved. I had a body that worked without creaking. My grandma, who raised me, was still healthy, and life was pretty damned good.

But as they say, all good things come to an end. I’d honestly love to know who ’they’ are and rip them a new one.

One year later, I’m a widow. My joints are starting to ache. Gram is in the nursing home, and dead people think my home is some kind of supernatural bed and breakfast. Gluing body parts onto semi-transparent people has become a side job—deceased people I’m not even sure are actually there. I think they need my help, but since I don’t speak dead, we’re having a few issues.

To add to the heap of trouble, there’s a new dangerously smokin’ hot lawyer at the firm who won't stop giving me the eye. My BFF is
thrilled with her new frozen face, thanks to her plastic surgeon, her alimony check, and the miracle of Botox. And then there’s the little conundrum that I’m becoming way too attached to my ghostly squatters… Like Cher, I'd like to turn back time. Now.

No can do.

Whatever. I have wine, good friends, and an industrial sized box of superglue. What could possibly go wrong?

Everything, apparently.

All in all, it’s shaping up to be a wonderful midlife crisis…

Another author I haven't gotten around to trying yet . .
Starlight Web (Moonshadow Bay #1) by Yasmine Galenorn
Spoiler Warning below

Moonshadow Bay…where magic lurks in the moonlight, and danger hides in the shadows. One month before January Jaxson turns 41, her husband ditches her for a trophy wife. Adding insult to injury, he steals the business she helped build, and kicks her out during the holidays.So when her best friend Ari suggests she move back to Moonshadow Bay—a quirky, magical town near Bellingham WA—January decides to take the plunge.

Born into a family of witches, January accepts a job at Conjure Ink, a paranormal investigations website. The job’s right up her alley but she doubts that everything reported to Conjure Ink really exists. That is, until she’s sent out on her first case. An abandoned asylum once housed a murderer, who killed an entire family one Yuletide Eve. It’s rumored that every December he returns to haunt the woodland around the asylum, seeking to add new members to his supernatural family.

January’s sure it’s an urban legend, but when new victims show up with no logical explanation for their deaths, Conjure Ink sends her in to investigate. Now, January must not only navigate the new life she’s trying to build, but the paranormal beasties she’s sent out to explore, as well as a hot new neighbor, who seems to be hiding a shadowed past of his own.

Grabbed it because the series is well-rated (Sci-Fi Alien Warrior Romance) . .
Possessed (Raider Warlords of the Vandor #1) by Tana Stone
Spoiler Warning below

I sacrificed myself to save my sister’s ship. Now the raider warlord owns me.

It was my own fault. I was the navigator of our ship, and I’m the one who led us straight into Vandar territory. We’d heard rumors about the Vandar raiders—everyone in the galaxy had. Terrifying and ruthless, they were a scourge on the Zagrath empire and destroyed everything in their path. Few had actually laid eyes on the Vandar or the notorious warlords who led their fleets of warships—and survived to talk about it.

So, when the ruthless aliens boarded our ship intent on destroying it and killing the crew, I did the only thing I could do. I gave myself to the dark and menacing warlord.

In exchange for allowing my sister’s ship passage out of the Vandar territory, I must share his bed and travel with his crew of deadly raiders. Even though the sight of the huge, battle-scarred alien terrifies me.

But as I adjust to my new life on a savage warship, I discover that the dominant alien warrior wants more than just my body. He wants to possess my soul. And he’ll make a new deal with me to get it.

Possessed is a full-length sci-fi romance novel with a HEA and no cheating. It features steamy scenes on a raider warship, alien horde space battles, and some serious enemies-to-lovers heat. If you like dominant and dangerous alien warriors, alien abduction to seduction romance, and hot scenes with a happily ever after, you’ll love Possessed, the first book in Tana Stone’s sci-fi romance Raider Warlords of the Vandar series. Each book can be read as a standalone.

#3535  sufue 09-21-2022, 04:37 PM
Now $1.99 in the US...links are still good...

Quote sufue
Magic Slays is the fifth (more or less, depending on which novellas/collections you do or don't count) in the Kate Daniels eries by Ilona Andrews. It has dropped to $2.99 at Kindle and Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LRPJ72
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004LRPJ72
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/magic-slays

#3536  sufue 09-21-2022, 04:39 PM
Also now $1.99 in the US, and links are still good...

Quote sufue
Storm Cursed is the eleventh in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. It has dropped to $2.99 at Kindle and Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMYTL6L
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DMYTL6L
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/storm-cursed

#3537  apesmom 09-23-2022, 02:03 PM
Freebie! Haven't read this author but she's got solid reviews. Plus it's a four book bundle.

One True Mate Series (Books 1-4) by Lisa Ludaw
Spoiler Warning below

One True Mate Series: An all wolf-shifter police force has been the only thing between humans and an unknown evil for centuries, but the pack is in danger of dying if they don't find their promised mates soon.

This Bundle Contains Four Full Novels:

One True Mate 1

Trevor has lived his entire life believing he was a fraud, but angling for a chance to prove he’s not, itching for an actual fight against the demon he’s prophesied to defeat. Nightly, he dreams about the One True Mates. Do they exist, do they not? He’s drawn to a female, but she doesn’t seem to fit the prophecy, until she leads him right into the home of the demon himself.

One True Mate 2

The dragon came to Serenity to fight the demon and it’s the last thing he hopes to do in his too-long life, but then he meets her, the only woman in the world who may be able to handle his love.

One True Mate 3

Crew is a powerful, yet tortured, wolf shifter who is convinced he has to live out the visions he sees in his head... true love lost before it has a chance to begin. Crew is about to discover how powerful love really is.

One True Mate 4

Cerise is a mystery, and something about her scrambles Beckett’s brain cells. He must figure out who she is to him, and why he’s willing to drop everything to help her.

#3538  sufue 09-23-2022, 02:04 PM
On the way to other things, I noticed that Star Rebels is free right now at all of the e-tailers that I check. It's is a collection of eleven short stories and includes the short story, Starfall Station, by Lindsay Buroker, who gets a fair amount of mention on this thread. The stories/authors are included in the blurb. Not totally sure if this should go here or in sci-fi, but the Buroker tie-in led me to put it here.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H7J5Z38
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/star-rebels
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H7J5Z38

Spoiler Warning below

There are rebels among the stars...

Meet eleven protagonists battling to save themselves and the ones they love. Human, cyborg, clone, or alien, they'll find themselves pitted against intergalactic crime bosses, interstellar mercenaries, a quantum-wave-riding collective mind, and the universe itself. Along the way, there’s plenty of action, adventure, humor, and even some romance.

Written by the freshest voices in science fiction, these stories are short, but they’ll light your imagination like a solar flare. Strap yourself in and join the rebellion! Download this collection today.

About the Star Rebels Stories:

A Tale of Two Ships by Audrey Faye
A KarmaCorp Story
Two ships crash into an unimportant digger rock. The first carries a newborn baby. The second will rewrite her destiny.

Carl Sagan’s Hunt for Intelligent Life in the Universe by C. Gockel
An Archangel Project Story
Sometimes intelligent life is right in front of your whiskers.

Blood Ties by Christine Pope
A Gaian Consortium Story
On the outlaw world of Iradia, Miala Fels and her computer hacker father discover that taking the wrong commission can have unexpected consequences.

Passage Out by Anthea Sharp
A Victoria Eternal Story
Street rat Diana Smythe has long since given up her hopes of escaping Earth, but that doesn’t mean she can’t watch the ships fly in and out of the spaceport and dream…

Arcturus 5 by D.L. Dunbar
A Twenty Sectors Story
Xella went to Arcturus 5 to mediate a simple trade dispute between the Mol and the Dark, but now she’s not sure she’ll get out alive.

Treason’s Course by L.J. Cohen
A Halcyone Space Story
In the midst of Earth's first off-planet war, a soldier is given a covert assignment and must decide if treason lies in carrying out her orders or disobeying them.

Falling by Pippa DaCosta
A Girl From Above Story
Trapped in a scrappers rig with a woman he’s been hired to kill, Caleb Shepperd is beginning to wonder if this job could be his last.

Starfall Station by Lindsay Buroker
A Fallen Empire Story
After the empire falls, cyborg soldier Leonidas Adler must avoid the Alliance operatives who want him for secrets only he knows, but that’s easier said than done. Worse, his past threatens those he’s traveling with, including Alisa, the freighter captain he has come to care about.

Luminescence by Patty Jansen
An ISF-Allion World Story
Hadie learns the price of being an artificial human when her partner has an accident and becomes unresponsive.

Glome by James Wells
A Great Symmetry Story
Humanity’s first interstellar colony ship has arrived at its destination, only to find an inhospitable death trap of a planet. Crew member Amanda Bowen wishes that was the biggest problem she faced.

Unfinished by Kendra C. Highley
An Unstrung Story
In a world where genetically-engineered humans serve as slave labor to “real humans,” two prototype children, designed to be the most superior models ever created, look to each other to find a way to escape their fate. They may discover that being “artificial” doesn't mean they can't love.

#3539  apesmom 09-23-2022, 02:11 PM
There's a bunch of Lindsay Buroker freebies and price drops. Many are repeats but I didn't have these 2:

Mist and Magic (Death Before Dragons #0.5)
Spoiler Warning below

As a freelance assassin, Val Thorvald leads a dangerous life.

She’s learned not to stay in the same place for long and not to get too attached to anything. For example, she would never consider adopting a pet.

But when she’s searching for a missing friend, she finds an abandoned silver tiger cub.

The magical feline is clearly from another realm, but Val has no idea which one or how to send it back. All she knows is that it’s the only witness to her friend's kidnapping.

Val can kick the butts of ogres, trolls, and wizards, but she has no experience taking care of pets—certainly not magical tigers. And as she quickly learns, the cub has teeth like a chainsaw. Soon, everything from her apartment to her seat belts to the hair on her head is in danger.

But if Val can’t forge a bond with the cub, figure out what it knows, and find her missing friend, more than her belongings—and her hair—may be at risk

Ship of Ruin (Star Kingdom #2)
Spoiler Warning below

All Casmir Dabrowski wants is to return to his normal life as a robotics professor on the solid ground and agreeable gravity of his home world. No sane person would want to cavort around in space, being chased by mercenaries, soldiers, and knights—not to mention the unidentified organization that’s been sending robot assassins after him.

But his best friend’s mother is missing, an entire team of archaeologists is dead, and the greatest find in the Twelve Systems is hidden in a wreck entombed on a frozen moon.

As the Kingdom Fleet, Tenebris Rache’s nefarious mercenaries, and sinister strangers from another system descend on the ancient wreck, all wanting the secret in its hold, Casmir and his friends are caught in the middle of a battle for the future of humanity.

They may be the only ones with the unique skills to decode the wreck’s secrets, but will they survive long enough to do so?

Scroll through here for the rest (sorted low to high). There might still be things being added.

#3540  sufue 09-25-2022, 12:03 PM
Four of Mariana Zapata's books have dropped to $1.99 each at Kindle US. One of them, Kulti, is one of my two absolute favorites of hers. The other three are slightly below those two, but still really enjoyable IMO. All have been on sale before, sometimes for less, and all are KU if you have that...

Kulti
info and links in this previous post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3696242

From Lukov with Love
info and links in this previous post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4175858

Luna and the Lie
info and links in this previous post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3974675

Wait For It
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2RJFW1
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N2RJFW1

Oh, and she has a new book out, as of a week or so ago. When Gracie Met The Grump is a paranormal romance, which is, I think, a new thing for her. It's KU as well, or you can buy for $5.99 right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFGWN8WJ

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (354/369)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register