Mobileread
Store?
#1  fbrII 08-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Yesterday I received a Inkpad 3 Pro reader and I now have had the opportunity to play with it for a day. I bought if for the larger screen and what I hoped would be an enhanced reading experience. And, as far as the reading experience simply put it's great. I really like the larger screen and the uniformity of the lighting.

What I find puzzling is the store. I hope I'm either doing something wrong or overlooking something but I can only find three books in English and It doesn't appear that there is much in the way of selections available for other languages either. It seems to me that it would be an embarrassment for Pocketbook to offer a bookstore with that limited a selection, plus, why bother with cloud availability if there is no content to store in the cloud?

Am I overlooking something or is that all that is really available through the Bookland store?

#2  nhedgehog 08-08-2020, 12:11 PM
Just have a look at this thread. To change the store to something different you have to contact service.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331916

#3  fbrII 08-08-2020, 12:38 PM
Thanks

Left a message with customer support and then received an email saying they would respond in the next 24hrs. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

#4  rcentros 08-08-2020, 06:31 PM
Quote fbrII
What I find puzzling is the store. I hope I'm either doing something wrong or overlooking something but I can only find three books in English and It doesn't appear that there is much in the way of selections available for other languages either. It seems to me that it would be an embarrassment for Pocketbook to offer a bookstore with that limited a selection, plus, why bother with cloud availability if there is no content to store in the cloud?

Am I overlooking something or is that all that is really available through the Bookland store?
The Bookland store has almost no English books. But you're not stuck using the built-in store. You can purchase books from many bookstores and, because the PocketBook device has ADE built-in, you can do all this without ADE installed on a PC.

Your first choice is to do everything with the built-in web browser. I've tested it with Overdrive, Google Books, Kobo (and maybe one other) and it works. You just go to the website, order your book, download the ascm file and then click the ascm link and download the book from wherever these come from. This works, but you're dealing with SLOW eInk web browser to do it.

The easier solution is to buy the book on your PC or smartphone (or tablet) and then send it to your PocketBook using the Send-To-PocketBook feature. And, again, click the ascm file and your book downloads from "ascm land." This requires no connection between the device and your InkPad. Be patient, however, sometimes the Send-To-PocketBook feature can take a half hour or so to deliver the ascm file to your device. (I guess depends on how busy PocketBook's server are.)

The third option, the most direct and quickest way but it requires a physical (USB) connection between your PocketBook and PC, is to just download the ascm file to your PC then copy it to your PocketBook's Download folder using your USB cable. And, then again, you then just click on the ascm file and the book downloads directly to your device.

As far as the Cloud goes... You don't have to buy your books from the BookLand store to load them into the BookLand (PocketBook) Cloud. When you sync your InkPad and it will automatically upload the books that are on your PocketBook to the Cloud (in my case BookLand), no matter where you bought the books. It will even move borrowed Overdrive books there (with their expiration date intact, though Overdrive books can't be read online – just there for syncing purposes I guess).

There's also a built-in DropBox option that I haven't tried yet.

Anyhow, lots of options with PocketBook.

#5  fbrII 08-08-2020, 11:54 PM
recentros, first thank you for your reply. I spent most of today downloading books from my calibre library so I did not have the opportunity to revisit this post until now. You have given me a lot of options to try and I truly appreciate you taking the time. It's late now, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the opportunity to start experimenting with the different options.

Thanks again!

#6  fbrII 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Success! While I have not heard from the folks at Pocketbook regarding changing the book store, but then again today is Sunday, so completely understandable. I was able to download ascm files from the Kobo bookstore by simply connecting my reader to my computer and coping the ascm file from the computer to the download folder in Pocketbook as instructed by rcentros above. As my main concern was how to buy and load drm protected books I consider myself a very happy Pocketbook owner right now.

Problem resolved and thanks again for the help!

#7  rcentros 08-09-2020, 11:10 PM
Quote fbrII
Problem resolved and thanks again for the help!
I just realized I could use this USB transfer method on my Tolinos because they also download the book from an ascm file. But there is no "Send-To-Tolino" and, unlike the PocketBooks, the browser isn't modern enough to work on a lot of sites for logging in. This is a "like, duh" moment for me.

(Tried it on my Vision 4 for an Overdrive book I borrowed, worked well.)

BTW, I'm happy your InkPad Pro is working out for you. (Sorry to get off the subject.) Looks like a really nice reader.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register