Mobileread
New: PocketBook Touch Lux 5 (PB 628)
#1  Cyfranek 07-28-2020, 08:50 AM
There is another new model from PocketBook - PocketBook Touch Lux 5. It looks like successor of PocketBook Touch Lux 4 and have some new features:
- SMARTlight - the ability to change the color temperature of the frontlight;
- faster processor (dual core 2x1 GHz);
- Legimi app (e-book subscription for Polish and German readers).
It looks the same like other current 6 inch PocketBook ereaders: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/2905240/premiera-pocketbook-touch-lux-5-pocketbook-aktualizuje-oferte
Polish officiall reseller shows it as on stock with the price about 125 EUR.

#2  rcentros 07-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Quote Cyfranek
There is another new model from PocketBook - PocketBook Touch Lux 5. It looks like successor of PocketBook Touch Lux 4 and have some new features:
- SMARTlight - the ability to change the color temperature of the frontlight;
- faster processor (dual core 2x1 GHz);
- Legimi app (e-book subscription for Polish and German readers).
It looks the same like other current 6 inch PocketBook ereaders: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/2905240/premiera-pocketbook-touch-lux-5-pocketbook-aktualizuje-oferte
Polish officiall reseller shows it as on stock with the price about 125 EUR.
So the Touch Lux 5 will basically be a Touch HD3, with a 212 ppi screen and not waterproof (but still with a microSD slot). In rapid succession, PocketBook has released a new 6" Basic reader (no touch, no light), a 6" Color reader and a 6" "mid-range" upgrade — all using the same case dimensions and style. This is after releasing a 10.3" reader not too long ago. PocketBook has definitely taken the lead in innovation. Let's see how Amazon and Kobo respond.

If the Touch Lux 5 sells for somewhere near the price of the Touch Lux 4 it's definitely the one I would look to buy. (I don't need waterproofing and and I find the 212 ppi fine on the older PocketBooks I own.)

EDIT: One other big difference between the Touch Lux 5 and Touch HD3, the HD3 has sound (TTF and Audio books).

GoodEReader is already taking orders for these. $150 with shipping ($130 + $20). I wonder if Newegg will sell these?

https://goodereader.com/blog/product/pocketbook-touch-lux-5

#3  Cyfranek 07-28-2020, 09:30 AM
Quote rcentros
So the Touch Lux 5 will basically be a Touch HD3, with a 212 ppi screen and not waterproof...
PocketBook Touch Lux 5 is still much closer to Touch Lux 4 because there is no audio support as well (as in Touch HD 3 via BT and minijack adapter).

#4  rcentros 07-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Quote Cyfranek
PocketBook Touch Lux 5 is still much closer to Touch Lux 4 because there is no audio support as well (as in Touch HD 3 via BT and minijack adapter).
Yep, I realized that after I posted (I've already edited my post). The sound and waterproofing are not that big deals to me, and I'm finding that 212 ppi works fine with PocketBook's font rendering. So a Touch Lux 5 with warm lights would be good enough (I think – I may still change my mind).

But if I wait another couple more months who knows what PocketBook will come out with? Their pace of innovation is incredible right now. I know they're huge in Russia (and it looks like Poland, as well) but I'm wondering how they could take off in the U.S. I would love to see them give Amazon a run for their money.

#5  Cyfranek 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM
Quote rcentros
but I'm wondering how they could take off in the U.S. I would love to see them give Amazon a run for their money.
US market is so monopolized. I think it would be very difficult to enter with real success seeing Kobo and Walmart's failure.

#6  rcentros 07-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Quote Cyfranek
US market is so monopolized. I think it would be very difficult to enter with real success seeing Kobo and Walmart's failure.
You're probably right about PocketBook, but I don't know for sure if Kobo/Walmart is a complete failure. Apparently Kobo has been doing very well, and it seems like Amazon is putting their eReaders on sale a lot more than they used to — almost like they feel a need to compete.

#7  Cyfranek 07-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Quote rcentros
Apparently Kobo has been doing very well, and it seems like Amazon is putting their eReaders on sale a lot more than they used to — almost like they feel a need to compete.
Wow that's nice. I've read it's quite hard to find any Kobos in Walmart's stores and I've found only Kindles during my last visit in California. Anyway keeping fingers crossed because I like Kobo anyway

#8  JSWolf 07-28-2020, 01:47 PM
The problem IMHO is they are all 6". They should be at least 7".

#9  rcentros 07-28-2020, 06:43 PM
Quote JSWolf
The problem IMHO is they are all 6". They should be at least 7".
I like 6" readers — but I just realized that PocketBook doesn't have a 7" reader. they jump from 6" to 8" to 10". Now that I think about it, it seems a little odd for a company that offers so many models.

I like my 6.8" Kobo Aura HD, but the 6" screens seem more convenient for traveling and are lighter when reading for several hours. My limited experience with my one 8" reader is that it's just too big and uncomfortable to hold for long stretches of time.

#10  rcentros 07-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Quote Cyfranek
Wow that's nice. I've read it's quite hard to find any Kobos in Walmart's stores and I've found only Kindles during my last visit in California. Anyway keeping fingers crossed because I like Kobo anyway
I don't think any Walmart store sells Kindles now. Best Buy has them and (I think) Staples may still sell a model (or two) in-store, but that's about it. (Just checked Staples, it doesn't look like they sell in-store any more either.) So, in the U.S., you basically buy an eReader online, unless you have a Best Buy nearby – then you can buy a Kindle model. That's it for in-store "choices."

Forgot. You can also go to a Barnes & Noble (if you have one in your area) and buy a Nook.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register