Mobileread
reMarkable, a New eink device with pen support
#331  Lode 05-05-2019, 05:46 PM
I suppose it has already been addressed in this thread, but not to have to read all previous post:

Is it possible to write by hand, and have it changed to epub font and pdf? For example if you want to write a book? Even ready for Kindle format?

If so, is that a hassle? (I'm so used to my laptop.)

Insights I usually quickly jot down with a ballpoint or pencil on scraps of paper. I have a stack of those.
I like the idea of just handwriting a text for a possible book. And then have it converted to print font.
Even the idea of publishing a book printed in my handwriting has come up. (People have told me they like my handwriting, and its really easy to read.) But I have doubts about that being a good idea...

#332  DuckieTigger 05-06-2019, 01:33 AM
Quote Lode
Even the idea of publishing a book printed in my handwriting has come up. (People have told me they like my handwriting, and its really easy to read.) But I have doubts about that being a good idea...
I would scratch that idea. With ebooks the only way that would work is with a font created from your handwriting. And then it wouldn't be your handwriting anymore. It would just look like any other wannabe cursive font that tries to mimic handwriting. If you leave it as picture then you end up with a very large ebook, which probably won't have features like reflow or adjustable font size.

For me personally it is a very important feature to be able to have every book I read look exactly the same. I am not alone in this and I know that others like to switch things up depending on genre, mood, time of day, tiredness of eyes, and so on.

#333  Lode 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Thank you much.

That thought had also passed my mind, that creating an alphabet with my handwritten letters and use that would also look unnatural.

In the mean time I also concluded that just using existing book fonts is best. So thank you for confirming that, including with technical detail.

But still handwriting a book seems attractive to me. To then have it converted to book font.

I've noticed that with correcting typo's during typing it might not be all that much faster than handwriting.
(Even though I use all fingers minus my left thumb, as I only use my right one for the space bar. But I also have fallen into the habit of often peaking where I put my fingers. And still typos. Not so with handwriting. Or much less.)

#334  DaleDe 05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
You can always just read it aloud and let Dictation@Wiki » software turn it into a document. see our wiki.

Dale

#335  Question Mark 05-06-2019, 10:54 PM
Quote Lode
But still handwriting a book seems attractive to me. To then have it converted to book font.
So far, I've been fairly impressed by the handwriting recognition software of the new 2.1.1 Onyx firmware. Although I've got fairly messy handwriting, it has miraculously been able to decipher everything I have thrown at it so far.

Of course, one would still have to go through the resulting text to ensure that punctuation, paragraph breaks and the like were all where they were needed. Also, I've noticed that sometimes two separate words will get rendered as one word... Still, I have been impressed.

Even for taking notes in a lecture, such a function can be very useful.

Studies have apparently shown that those who take notes by hand have a better recall of the information afterwards... Using such software, one could have the best of both worlds. One would reap the benefits gained from taking notes by hand, but would then have searchable notes which one could easily manipulate and share with others.

#336  hollowpoint 05-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Quote Question Mark
Studies have apparently shown that those who take notes by hand have a better recall of the information afterwards... Using such software, one could have the best of both worlds. One would reap the benefits gained from taking notes by hand, but would then have searchable notes which one could easily manipulate and share with others.
Don't have an Onyx device but agree completely on this point. Here's one study that showed those findings. Lately I've been experimenting in my Ipad, and a Windows laptop with a touch screen, using Microsoft OneNote with a stylus to do exactly this. Onenote has an amazing capacity to accurately recognize handwriting and then convert to text. And when I use the (yes, rather too spendy) Apple Pencil, I have zero problems with palm recognition on the screen, it knows how to ignore my palm as a lefthanded writer, and accept only pen input.

#337  Philippe D. 05-28-2019, 03:45 PM
The handwriting recognition feature on the reMarkable is pretty good (it does a better job of reading my wife's handwriting than I do), actually. The one problem I have with it is, it doesn't try to read formulas, and that's a huge part of what I write.

The other limitations are in the software implementation: it only works with an internet connection, and it doesn't offer a way to convert the result into text in the document - all you can do with the result is send it by email. This last part is pretty a pretty stupid limitation, if you ask me, but there it is. Also, you need to go all the way to the settings to change the language preselection - you can't change on the fly. This too is a problem for me - by myself I write in French, but when I'm taking notes from a lecture in English I'll typically write in English as well.

#338  rafail 10-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Hi, Philippe!
I would ask if you could share some details about handwriting on reMarkable. Aside from the feeling of writing on true paper that I saw everyone praises, which is the accuracy of handwriting? I refer not only to the large writing that appears in all the video reviews, but to the calligraphic writing. With Onyx Boox Note, although (with some efforts) the general appearance of the page is satisfactory, however the line of writing is slightly trembling and when lifting and restoring the stylus on the screen, there is a mistake of 1-2 mm, accentuated at the edges of the screen. Could you post a higher resolution image with a handwriting page?
One more question: the recognition of handwriting in what proportion is faithful to the text entered? Does it work for two languages ​​simultaneously? (At Onyx Boox the fidelity of the recognition is very good - with the only problem being that spaces must be added between words, but it only works for one language).
Thanks and sorry for disturbing.
[zip] DCIM.zip (4.85 MB, 14 views)

« First  « Prev   (34/34)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register