Mobileread
reMarkable, a New eink device with pen support
#11  Jason90 12-03-2016, 08:56 PM
The Pen functionality and apparent ease along with the design and size of this e-ink based device does look promising and is hitting alot of the right marks however the locked down nature of the device as others have said make it a tough sell purely as a note-taker.

I recently tried an ipad pro 9.7 with apple pencil and the charging and pairing become quite annoying with heavy use,also i hated the feel of the slippery plastic of the pencil so it was an all-round negative experience.

I could see myself buying this but if they do insist on keeping the OS locked it MUST also be a decent ereader that offers similar functionality to the kindle/kobo.

With Onyx already showing off the same 10.3" display from Eink with Android reMarkable are going to have a tough sell on their hands even if there Pen input is slightly better.

EDIT: The 55ms seems pretty impressive and i wonder if this is apart of the new e ink regal waveforms that have been hinted at for ages,current carta screens refresh at 120ms i believe so this is quite a substantial improvement,unfortunately it's still not enough to smoothly playback standard 24fps video though,perhaps i.mx 7 will push the latency down even further

#12  RZetlin 12-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Since this is a new company launching an untested product into the market, I have some doubts on the success.

The product lacks any retail distribution.

There are no eBook publisher backing this product as Kindle or Kobo.

There is no way to tell on the reliability of the product, since there are no third-party reviewer who have used this eReader.

I am taking a wait and see approach.

#13  Jason90 12-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Well their marketing video seems impressive for vaporware,better than anything onyx or the like have come up with lol

The onyx 10.3 is bound to be more successful which is also due out around the same time,weather or not this patent pending canvas screen is noticeably better remains to be seen.

#14  SnowRipple 12-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Pen build and writing aside, if the refresh rate will be really 55ms, this will be a very interesting device. I would love to use it as a second monitor for writing/coding..

People are mentioning Onyx, but their latest N96ML 9.7 inch ereader has much smaller resolution, hence dpi suffers. In fact all big ereaders I can think of (even Max) has smaller resolution than this one, so I will applaud reMarkable for it!

In general, the spec and video look very promising. On top of good hardware, they seemed to developed interesting software with live syncing across multiple devices,a very interesting feature.

Looking forward to more news and hopefully some review videos

#15  frahse 12-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Quote Ravensknight
Maybe if there was something more concrete. But this is vaporware in my mind right now.

Probably...

#16  shalym 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Quote SnowRipple
Pen build and writing aside, if the refresh rate will be really 55ms, this will be a very interesting device. I would love to use it as a second monitor for writing/coding..

People are mentioning Onyx, but their latest N96ML 9.7 inch ereader has much smaller resolution, hence dpi suffers. In fact all big ereaders I can think of (even Max) has smaller resolution than this one, so I will applaud reMarkable for it!

In general, the spec and video look very promising. On top of good hardware, they seemed to developed interesting software with live syncing across multiple devices,a very interesting feature.

Looking forward to more news and hopefully some review videos
IF all of the proposed specs and features actually happen in the final released device, it will be amazing.

Right now it's all just pie in the sky.

Shari

#17  Rbneader 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM
This looks interesting, but I'm not sold.

For one thing, no expandable storage is basically a dealbreaker right off the bat.

A device that lets me take notes as I'm reading is perfect for study, but I'm pretty skeptical that this can handle my technical reference manual PDFs effectively. Ereaders with those specs do not handle them well at all.

I understand why you skipped Android. But that is a downside, not a feature, really.

If I just want to take notes, notebook + pen works really well. I don't need another device just for note-taking. I would love something that integrates note-taking with my current setup of Android + Windows and lets me more effectively use my electronic non-fiction books, work manuals, and cookbooks. Tablets aren't great in sunlight and I prefer eInk to read on.

I'm full up on devices that I carry around, and I'm not seeing a usecase for this as-is. Maybe for businesses that want sealed devices for internal documents? But people mostly use email for those.

#18  rem736 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Quote sandsmark
It's a new EMR digitizer from Wacom, we're working with them on the custom pen design and optimizing the firmware. I'm not sure why we don't mention it on the website, but I'll take it up with the people responsible for it.

As for the description of Canvas; it's a custom flexible Carta display with new waveforms from E Ink. The "partial" is because Canvas is the entire display stack (including our custom cover lens etc.).
why no front light? it seems that all newly released devices are always coming close to perfect but not there yet. i have the sony dpt-s1. what is missing from this is the front light and lack of support for epub. the note-taking function of this device could be better, not it's not bad.

so for me to want the reMarkable, adding a front light would go a long way. and if you could offer a 13.3" size screen, so that normal letter-size pdfs would not have to be reduced, i would pre-order right now.

#19  rkomar 12-07-2016, 11:08 PM
I don't think the current front light technology would work with a flexible screen. Bending the screen would probably change the uniformity of the light. Also, I think the light layer would have to get thicker for larger areas, and would thus blur the display.

#20  Jason90 12-08-2016, 12:42 AM
Quote rkomar
I don't think the current front light technology would work with a flexible screen. Bending the screen would probably change the uniformity of the light. Also, I think the light layer would have to get thicker for larger areas, and would thus blur the display.
Correct and it's a real shame as a built in light is practically expected nowadays.

Having said that third party lights existed years before the paperwhite came onto the scene so whilst not ideal it's still a usable option.

Even if this device doesn't fulfill all our needs I still feel it deserves our support in this stagnant market.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/34)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register