Mobileread
MobileRead June 2009 Book Club Nominations
#11  HarryT 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Quote ghazali
I would like to nominate 'Replay' by Ken Grimwood, an outstanding fantasy grounded in reality with a story that is both riveting as well as haunting. Here is a synopsis:
This month's category is "classics" that are available as free downloads on MobileRead. Is this book available for free download on MobileRead? Can it honestly be described as a "classic"?

#12  JSWolf 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Replay by Ken Grimwood is not appropriate for June's eBook.

The eBooks that have been accepted for nomination, seconded, and thirded are in the firts post of this thread.

#13  queentess 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I'll second King Solomon's Mines by Sir Henry Rider Haggard. I've always wanted to read this one, now I could have the chance!

#14  ShortNCuddlyAm 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Quote HarryT
I would like to nominate Sir Henry Rider Haggard's "King Solomon's Mines". One of the greatest adventure stories ever written, and easily on a par with any of today's "thrillers". A truly timeless classic.
Seconded

Quote JSWolf
I am going to nominated War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. I'll let the description tell you all about it.
Also seconded

#15  ErwinOtten 05-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Not completely on topic but I like to thank you for the nomination of King Solomon's Mines and The Moonstone. I'll download both books and put them on my to read list.

To make it a relevant post I like to nominate Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
The only reason for nominating it being that it is a clasic I truly enjoyed reading a month ago.
For the two people here on the forum who have never heard of it :

Pride and Prejudice has delighted generations of readers with its unforgettable cast of characters, carefully choreographed plot, and a hugely entertaining view of the world and its absurdities. With the arrival of eligible young men in their neighbourhood, the lives of Mr and Mrs Bennet and their five daughters are turned inside out and upside down. Pride encounters prejudice, upward-mobility confronts social disdain, and quick-wittedness challenges sagacity, as misconceptions and hasty judgements lead to heartache and scandal, but eventually to true understanding, self-knowledge, and love. In this supremely satisfying story, Jane Austen balances comedy with seriousness, and witty observation with profound insight. If Elizabeth Bennet returns again and again to her letter from Mr Darcy, readers of the novel are drawn even more irresistibly by its captivating wisdom.

#16  MelC 05-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I know that someone has already nominated Moonstone by the same author but selfishly this one ties in better with another online book club selection for June and since I am still enveloped in The Quincunx and have now also been talked into The House of Leaves I need to double up.

Plus, on a less selfish note, it looks good doesn't it?

Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
One of the greatest mystery thrillers ever written, Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White was a phenomenal bestseller in the 1860s, achieving even greater success than works by Dickens, Collins' friend and mentor. Full of surprise, intrigue, and suspense, this vastly entertaining novel continues to enthrall readers today.

The story begins with an eerie midnight encounter between artist Walter Hartright and a ghostly woman dressed all in white who seems desperate to share a dark secret. The next day Hartright, engaged as a drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie and her half sister, tells his pupils about the strange events of the previous evening. Determined to learn all they can about the mysterious woman in white, the three soon find themselves drawn into a chilling vortex of crime, poison, kidnapping, and international intrigue.

#17  wallcraft 05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I would like to nominate The Four Just Men by Edgar Wallace.
"The Four Just Men", first published in 1905, was the novel that made Edgar Wallace famous as a writer of detective thrillers. A Spanish resistance leader's safety in England is threatened by the passage through Parliament of the Aliens Extradition Bill. The minister responsible receives a message from four mysterious figures, "The Four Just Men", warning him that he faces death unless he withdraws the legislation. Edgar Wallace maintains the suspense and excitement as the police struggle to protect the minister before the deadline imposed by the conspirators is reached.
Day of the Jackal is probably its closest modern (1971) counterpart.

Is it a classic? It is 100 years old, and still an enjoyable read.

#18  ShortNCuddlyAm 05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Quote ErwinOtten
To make it a relevant post I like to nominate Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
I'll second this too

#19  ruth1304 05-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Quote MelC
I know that someone has already nominated Moonstone by the same author but selfishly this one ties in better with another online book club selection for June and since I am still enveloped in The Quincunx and have now also been talked into The House of Leaves I need to double up.
[/I]
I'll second The Woman in White!

#20  Andybaby 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I would like to Nominate the book found here http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=verne

Verne, Jules: The Moon Voyage

which is
Verne's two classic books "From the Earth to the Moon" and its sequel, "Around the Moon", in a single volume.

(I'm watching tom hanks from earth to the moon which got me thinking about this again, its on my to read list)

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register