Mobileread
New Leaf Vote for October 2019 • Ya Gotta Believe: Life of the Spirit
#11  Catlady 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Quote issybird
Whoops! Thanks for that. I didn't notice. I wish OD would tag abridged versions prominently as that makes it a total non-starter.
I routinely look at the "details" tab, not because I expect a book to be abridged but to check the length.

None of my libraries has the ebook; one had it but the license expired.

#12  issybird 09-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Quote Catlady
I routinely look at the "details" tab, not because I expect a book to be abridged but to check the length.

None of my libraries has the ebook; one had it but the license expired.
Abridgment is a crime against humanity.

While I'm an audiobook fan, I almost always read book club selections (the exceptions have been when I could borrow the audiobook but not the ebook) because it facilitates note-taking and flipping around. In this case, though, I thought a listen sounded fun and I could back it up with the text. Oh, well; I'm next up for the ebook at one of my libraries.

#13  CRussel 09-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I hadn't realized this was an abridgment. Too bad, I was only a single week wait for the audiobook, but a four week wait for the eBook. (And yes, they ARE a crime against humanity!)

#14  Victoria 09-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Yay Dirk! That was my top choice.

#15  Bookpossum 10-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Just to let you all know that I may be a bit tardy in joining the discussion. I'm about to go on holiday to Lord Howe Island, a little dot out in the Pacific some way off the east coast of the Australian mainland. There is supposed to be wifi at the place where we are staying, but it remains to be seen how well or reliably it works! If all else fails, I shall be back on Sunday 20 October and can join in then.

#16  CRussel 10-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Have fun! I trust there will be lots of birds? And likely some you haven't got on the mainland.

We expect PICTURES.

#17  Bookpossum 10-11-2019, 02:30 AM
Quote CRussel
Have fun! I trust there will be lots of birds? And likely some you haven't got on the mainland.

We expect PICTURES.
Hah! Thanks Charlie. Yes, a number of birds we don't see here, at any rate down in Victoria. The island is a World Heritage site, beautiful and unspoiled. Hardly any cars - walking or bike riding are the ways to get around.

#18  Victoria 10-11-2019, 07:48 AM
Have a great holiday Bookpossom - it sounds gorgeous!

#19  Bookpossum 10-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Quote Victoria
Have a great holiday Bookpossom - it sounds gorgeous!
Thanks Victoria. Yes, it's a special place. This will be our third visit there over the years.

#20  Victoria 10-11-2019, 07:56 AM
I just googled the name & clicked ‘images’. Wow

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register