Mobileread
Powerful paranormal fantasy, Liberation, Book One of the Andrusian Chronicles
#11  Worldwalker 07-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Usually, people trying to sell a book will provide a link to wherever the book is available for sale -- that is, directly to the book's own page, so that someone who wants it can just click on the link and then go buy the book, without having to search for it. With every barrier that you put in the way of a book -- in this case, first having to type in the URL to get to Amazon, and then search for your book and figure out which of Amazon's typically clueless search hits is actually the right book -- you lose sales.

You might wish to look at some other authors' book listings to see how they do it.

#12  koland 07-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Liberation (Book One of The Andrusian Chronicles)
$9.99 (ouch)

#13  Worldwalker 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
So ... ten bucks for a DRM-locked book from Amazon for a platform I don't own by an author who can't spell?

Or ten bucks for three or four DRM-free books at Smashwords that I can read on anything by authors I know I like?

I think I'm gonna pass on this one.

#14  koland 07-18-2010, 03:32 PM
To be fair, we don't know if there is any DRM (although it does appear this author unwisely chose to use it). Each author can choose whether or not to include DRM (and the default is none, with DTP).

Also, with the new royalty scheme, the author must offer it in all geographic regions in which they have ebook rights (which for most means, worldwide) and price it at 80% or less of the print list price (of course, since most are using essentially vanity press/POD for their print books, this doesn't mean much), with a maximum cap of $9.99, which is what this author chose. Many are choosing $2.99, as that pretty much increases their sales several hundred-fold. A few others are keeping at the old royalty level and a price below $2.99, as they saw a 10-fold increase in dropping from $3 to $2 and again dropping to $1. It's easy math to see that 100 times increase in sales beats a 2 times increase in royalty rates. Plus, with a following, they can dream about a "real" publishing contract (which some have achieved in this manner); at the least, their other books sell better at the higher $3 price when there is a full-length "sample" (a full novel) of their work at the $1 range, which is the impulse price point these days, as seen by those selling music and apps.

#15  Worldwalker 07-18-2010, 05:45 PM
For $1.99, I might buy it for fun. I have, after all, successfully read several pages of "The Eye of Argon" aloud. But I won't pay 20% above the price of a physical book by a top author for an ebook (especially a DRM'd ebook) by some random stranger. I can't imagine that many people would.

#16  Maria L. 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Koland, I don't even know what DRM is or DTP..sorry I'm not up to speed with this.

#17  Critteranne 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Quote Maria L.
Koland, I don't even know what DRM is or DTP..sorry I'm not up to speed with this.
DRM stands for digital rights management. That's the copy protection on some e-book files that can keep readers from reading the book on more than one device, and sometimes even keeps them from making backup copies, etc. Some writers and publishers want DRM because they want to keep people from sharing copies of their e-books, but often the DRM keeps readers from opening the books they paid for.

There's more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

DTP might be desktop publishing -- I'm not sure.

#18  Maria L. 07-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Dr. Drb,

I feel that "worldwalker" is way out of line and abusive in his comments...is this the way that members talk to each other normally on mobile reads? and is there a way to speak with you privately?

#19  Maria L. 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks, that was a great help. I did run into it when the press put the e-book on amazon. I'm still researching the e-book thing and plan to have the e-book available for several devices. Things are moving faster than I expected in a good way but it keeps me one step behind. So, DRM sometimes keeps readers from opening the book they paid for? Good to know. I'm glad you're a story teller too...later!

#20  Worldwalker 07-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Maria, if you think that someone saying they think your book is overpriced is "abusive", you may need to recalibrate your abuse meter.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register