Mobileread
iBooks: Requested Resource Could Not Be Found
#1  Rand Brittain 10-25-2020, 12:56 PM
I've just completed a new ePub of a friend's role-playing game manual, and have finished doing testing on my Kobo and on Google Play Books. The ePub passes the built-in checks in Sigil and Calibre and ePubCheck passes it as well. As far as I can see, it has no problems.

However, iBooks refuses to open it. It tells me that "Failed to load book because the requested resource is missing." As far as I'm aware, the book shouldn't be requesting any resources or trying to access anything outside itself.

Is anybody familiar with this error?

#2  Quoth 10-26-2020, 02:24 PM
Did you upload an epub2 to Smashwords for Distribution (includes Apple) and actually download from Apple or try to copy the book directly?

#3  JSWolf 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Quote Rand Brittain
I've just completed a new ePub of a friend's role-playing game manual, and have finished doing testing on my Kobo and on Google Play Books. The ePub passes the built-in checks in Sigil and Calibre and ePubCheck passes it as well. As far as I can see, it has no problems.

However, iBooks refuses to open it. It tells me that "Failed to load book because the requested resource is missing." As far as I'm aware, the book shouldn't be requesting any resources or trying to access anything outside itself.

Is anybody familiar with this error?
Have you actually tried this eBook with Books instead of iBooks? IBooks can be very old to fairly old and Books is a newer version. But I would suggest trying Books with iOS 14 or iPadOS 14.

#4  fbrzvnrnd 10-27-2020, 05:18 AM
look inside the META-INF folder for some calibre bookmark files and delete those

#5  Quoth 10-27-2020, 12:27 PM
You can change the Calibre settings so it doesn't put stuff from the viewer into the ebook file.

#6  Rand Brittain 10-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Quote Quoth
Did you upload an epub2 to Smashwords for Distribution (includes Apple) and actually download from Apple or try to copy the book directly?
I copied it directly to my iPad. (It's an EPUB3.)

Quote JSWolf
Have you actually tried this eBook with Books instead of iBooks? IBooks can be very old to fairly old and Books is a newer version. But I would suggest trying Books with iOS 14 or iPadOS 14.
It's the newest version of Books, iPad OS 14.1.

Quote fbrzvnrnd
look inside the META-INF folder for some calibre bookmark files and delete those
I checked and there aren't any, because…

Quote Quoth
You can change the Calibre settings so it doesn't put stuff from the viewer into the ebook file.
…I've had this setting on for years. Seriously, why doesn't Calibre store its bookmarks somewhere else by default?

#7  Quoth 10-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Quote Rand Brittain
…I've had this setting on for years. Seriously, why doesn't Calibre store its bookmarks somewhere else by default?
I think because some people wanted the bookmarks to be transferred to the ereader? Though I suspect that only works for some.

Try epub2. If you need something epub3 does, that epub2 doesn't do, then perhaps you need a PDF or an app.

#8  Rand Brittain 11-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Hm, I don't really want to go back to EPUB2 because I'm using the <aside> tag to do footnotes.

At one point I thought it might be a cache error with my cloud, but it looks like other people are having the same problem with the file when I send it to testers? I'm really confused as to why Books is having an error with a file that passes every possible form of validation.

Does anybody want to take a look at it and see if they can spot the problem?

#9  JSWolf 11-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Quote Rand Brittain
Hm, I don't really want to go back to EPUB2 because I'm using the <aside> tag to do footnotes.

At one point I thought it might be a cache error with my cloud, but it looks like other people are having the same problem with the file when I send it to testers? I'm really confused as to why Books is having an error with a file that passes every possible form of validation.

Does anybody want to take a look at it and see if they can spot the problem?
But if you need your eBook to be backwards compatible, you'll need to stop using the <aside> tag.

#10  DNSB 11-13-2020, 01:23 PM
Do you have the ibooks xml file in your epub3 file set? IIRC, com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml is the file name. I remember needing it when embedding fonts but have been told it is needed for other items as well.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register