Mobileread
CalibreBox - New Cloud-Based App
#11  Hofferic 05-13-2015, 05:34 PM
It took some shuffling and resizing to fit everything without overlaps and I think it still looks kind of lopsided (which is the reason i didn't implement it originally) but the update is on it's way

The only way to avoid the lopsidedness would be to display some fallback (not very useful) or make the cards for books with series information larger than others (also not much better ). Chime in if you have any ideas to avoid the list looking lopsided for books without series info or think that differing card sizes ar a-okay

#12  Thomas_AR 05-13-2015, 10:05 PM
New update looks good regarding the series entries. But I think you should make the cards of each book bigger, 50 % higher would be ideal. So you can also enlarge the letters inside. For now the cards and letters are very small, nearly not readable even I use a tablet. Don't you think?

#13  Hofferic 05-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Okay, I changed the layout again (less work this time, the backend code stayed the same ), the text is now the same size as before or slightly larger and instead the cards as a whole are larger.

The added/published text is now the same size it was before the first change, but I dont think it is necessary to make it larger still as most of the time this can be considered background information. I think the slight benefit in visibility would be outweighed by the increased book card size, as this would mean fewer books would be visible at one time.

#14  Thomas_AR 05-14-2015, 10:32 PM
I like it as it is for now!
Great job.

#15  nomistakes 05-23-2015, 05:11 AM
Hi

does this app download a new copy of each file choosen (creating a duplicate) or does it open the original version of the files?

Thanks in advance

#16  Hofferic 05-23-2015, 07:09 AM
If you use the "direct open" download mode (the left download menu) the app will look for a copy of the book in the current download directory and, if the file is new enough to be up to date with the last changes for the book in the library, open it without a new download. In all other cases the book will be downloaded again but overwrite any previous file for this book.
So you may redownload the same book but there will always only be one copy (unless you changed its title or author).

I may change the "download for later" mode (the right download menu) to also check for the file date if you would like it to do that, for now it does not to allow for easy redownloading if the file changed but the metadata didn't without manually deleting the file first.

#17  Thomas_AR 05-25-2015, 11:50 PM
As i understood it only downloads the calibre base in first base, not the books. When choosing to download book it will only then download a book, not before. So only one copie of the book on your phone/tablet.

#18  melmac 05-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Is there an apple version of this app?

#19  Hofferic 05-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Quote Thomas_AR
As i understood it only downloads the calibre base in first base, not the books. When choosing to download book it will only then download a book, not before. So only one copie of the book on your phone/tablet.
Exactly. The initial library download only downloads the database to save space and time. Books are only downloaded when the user chooses to download/open them. And if you already have a copy of the book on your device which is newer than the latest change indicated by the library, the left-hand download menu (open directly) will open this copy directly without downloading it anew.

Quote melmac
Is there an apple version of this app?
There might be a comparable app for IOS but this app will only work for Android devices. Additionally it was written in Java and uses specific features of Android so I would have to re-develop the entire thing for IOS which I do not intend to do as I don't have access to IOS devices and don't have any experience writing IOS Apps.

#20  nqk 05-29-2015, 02:37 AM
1) Sometimes the colors of status bar and action bar are not matching (blue and red, etc.). It seems CalibreBox looks at the colors of the cover.jpg and decides what color should be applied, which is cool, but I think two different constrast colors look weird.

2) The download button is easy to understand, but the "open book" button is not. And can you make it clearer to identify which books have been downloaded, and which not? An option for automatic update of newer book files?

3) There is a black bar under the book list - It could be an ad, I don't know, because Adaway is present in my phone. I tried "Purchase Pro Version", but it says "No Internet Connection". . (In fact, I do have smooth connection now).

4) Can you support custom columns as well?

5) I have no problem with Dropbox - which is fast. But if you can support OneDrive, it is also great because it comes built-in with Windows 8.x

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register