Mobileread
Motherboard replacement Nook Simple Touch / GlowLight
#1  miteff 08-13-2020, 10:45 AM
I did the following test - I put a motherboard from Nook Simple Touch Glowlight model BNRV350 rev.2.01 to body of Nook Simple Touch model BNRV300. A menu for activating the glowlight is displayed, but the actual screen did not light up. Apparently the reader's body has other things that illuminate the screen. Does anyone know who they are and is this replacement possible?

#2  ZodWallop 08-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Quote miteff
I did the following test - I put a motherboard from Nook Simple Touch Glowlight model BNRV350 rev.2.01 to body of Nook Simple Touch model BNRV300. A menu for activating the glowlight is displayed, but the actual screen did not light up. Apparently the reader's body has other things that illuminate the screen. Does anyone know who they are and is this replacement possible?
I don't know the technicalities. But Nook Simple Touch With Glowlight has LEDs. The older Nook Simple Touch doesn't.

#3  miteff 08-14-2020, 05:51 AM
Yes, I know there is LEDs, but aren't they at the motherboard or are they in the body?

#4  DNSB 08-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Quote miteff
Yes, I know there is LEDs, but aren't they at the motherboard or are they in the body?
They could be at the motherboard with light guides to bring their light up to the top of the screen sandwich or mounted in the body at the level of the top of the screen. The screen itself has another light guide that is designed to diffuse the light from the LEDs evenly across the screen. Remember that an eInk screen is opaque so you need a frontlight not a backlight.

Since the Nook Simple Touch does not have that light guide layer, it's not going to work.

I've attached an image with a sample of a display light guide.
gwheeew.png 

#5  miteff 08-21-2020, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the answers, obviously you can't just change the motherboard to another body.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register