Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for February 2019 • Let's Make a Deal: Trade Secrets
#41  issybird 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM
I'm torn, but since I've read Ripley (which is terrific) and not read The Seventh Cross, I'm giving my third nod to the latter.

#42  astrangerhere 01-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Quote issybird
I'm torn, but since I've read Ripley (which is terrific) and not read The Seventh Cross, I'm giving my third nod to the latter.

#43  drofgnal 01-06-2019, 07:24 AM
I may skip this month. Although, I'll point out a couple of titles that may be suitable, if someone wants to nominate them. The first is 'The Baker's Daughter' By Sarah McCoy. I just finished reading this. A nice read. The second, I'm reading now is called 'The Baker's Secret' by Stephen Kiernan.

Both are WWII books, where the baker has certain secret's she'd carry to her grave, if necessary.

#44  issybird 01-06-2019, 07:29 AM
There's a day to go for nominations.

#45  Catlady 01-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Quote drofgnal
I may skip this month. Although, I'll point out a couple of titles that may be suitable, if someone wants to nominate them. The first is 'The Baker's Daughter' By Sarah McCoy. I just finished reading this. A nice read. The second, I'm reading now is called 'The Baker's Secret' by Stephen Kiernan.

Both are WWII books, where the baker has certain secret's she'd carry to her grave, if necessary.
Interesting. I read The Baker's Secret last year and never even thought of it for this theme, but it fits. I mostly liked it, but for some disturbing scenes.

#46  Dazrin 01-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Apologies for my non-participation here, it has been a crazy couple of weeks. (Fun for the most part but crazy.)

Since there isn't much time left I will just third the three nominations with 2 so far:

#47  issybird 01-07-2019, 08:07 AM
Poll's up.

#48  gmw 01-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Quote CRussel
Well, I've never read a book by David Baldacci, but it looks like I can get a copy from the library in plenty of time to read it [...]
Quote Dazrin
[...]
At the risk of knocking down my own nomination, I would describe most of Baldacci's books (that I've read so far) as good but not great; competent but not inspired. I don't think "deep" really comes into it; his books are for entertainment, many of them seemingly written-for-filming. The Winner is one of his earlier works and has enough interesting points that I think we'd find plenty to talk about.

But for that that might seem damned by faint praise, they are typically easy and enjoyable reads, although I must say that his attempt at YA fiction really didn't work for me. (The Finisher is the first of a dystopian YA series that I have not been tempted to follow on with - this first book got better near the end, by then I was already disenchanted.)

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register