Mobileread
A plea to writers/editors
#31  Amiieey 07-31-2020, 04:38 PM
Then you should not read Last Exit to Brooklyn.

#32  Alyssa Miranda 08-18-2020, 05:32 PM
I couldn't resist an update of my dissing of The Road by Cormac McCarthy - a superb review on Goodreads as to why this is such a bad book. It's by J. G. Keely, posted in April 2008. Although old, it's the first review to appear, apparently reflecting its popularity.

#33  TeresaCr 10-23-2020, 02:10 PM
Quote Hitch

Whereas you look at, say, Robert B Parker, he could have omitted any dialogue tags and you'd STILL have known whether it was Spenser or Hawk (or the ubiquitous and vexing Susan, who I always wished would get run over by a runaway bean truck).

Hitch
I agree about adding frequent-enough attributions. And I love Robert B Parker. But in every book of his, I find myself wondering why he felt the need to include every possible attribution. I guess it became a kind of trademark after a while. Probably the trouble with being so famous.

Teressa

#34  Hitch 10-23-2020, 03:05 PM
Quote TeresaCr
I agree about adding frequent-enough attributions. And I love Robert B Parker. But in every book of his, I find myself wondering why he felt the need to include every possible attribution. I guess it became a kind of trademark after a while. Probably the trouble with being so famous.

Teressa
Probably early interference by some CW teacher, somewhere, saying that longer-running conversations became hard to follow. Dunno. He was sure the king of "said," though. :-)

Hitch

#35  hobnail 10-23-2020, 03:24 PM
On the other side of the coin there are a lot of young adult books on Project Gutenberg where there are two people talking to each other they start their sentences like, "Well, Bob, ...?" and Bob answers, "Yes, John, ..."

#36  Hitch 10-23-2020, 04:00 PM
Quote hobnail
On the other side of the coin there are a lot of young adult books on Project Gutenberg where there are two people talking to each other they start their sentences like, "Well, Bob, ...?" and Bob answers, "Yes, John, ..."
MWAHAHAHA, that's right up there with AYKB...

"As you know, Bob..."

The second I see that in a ms, or hear it on the TV, that's it for me. I'm outta there.

Hitch

#37  Quoth 10-24-2020, 08:55 AM
If there are bunch of people chit-chating, then you might address a particular person. It's weird if there are only two people chatting. Unless it gets to shouting and rage and then in some cultures the other person's name might shouted.
"Bob, will you shut up!" Jack screamed.
"Jack, what are you doing?" exclaimed Bob.

Maybe.

"As you know" can be stupid. Especially at a badly done info dump.

#38  Hitch 10-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Quote Quoth
If there are bunch of people chit-chating, then you might address a particular person. It's weird if there are only two people chatting. Unless it gets to shouting and rage and then in some cultures the other person's name might shouted.
"Bob, will you shut up!" Jack screamed.
"Jack, what are you doing?" exclaimed Bob.

Maybe.

"As you know" can be stupid. Especially at a badly done info dump.
"As you know Bob" is always stupid. It's impossible to do it well unless you construct some potboiler plotline where the hearer has lost their memory or some absurd contrivance like that. That's why you get hangers-on; so that MCs can explain things that "everybody knows" to the hanger-on/third party and by virtue thereof, the audience.

Hitch

#39  Quoth 10-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Quote Hitch
"As you know Bob" is always stupid. It's impossible to do it well unless you construct some potboiler plotline where the hearer has lost their memory or some absurd contrivance like that.
Probably true. I used to be very dogmatic. I'm trying to be more nuanced and sometimes fail one way or another.

#40  4691mls 10-26-2020, 09:28 AM
Quote Hitch
MWAHAHAHA, that's right up there with AYKB...

"As you know, Bob..."

The second I see that in a ms, or hear it on the TV, that's it for me. I'm outta there.

Hitch
I always figured TV shows did that kind of thing so in case anyone new to the series tuned in they would learn the characters' names. It's not something I want to see in a book, though. All I want in a book is an occasional "Bob said" so I can keep track. It doesn't need to be after every single sentence.

« First  « Prev   (4/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register