Mobileread
A plea to writers/editors
#11  hobnail 07-05-2020, 12:23 AM
Quote Hitch
Wait, in the books you read,they use quotation marks? DANG!
Hitch
I just checked out from my local library All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. No quotes around the dialog. (Published in 1992.)

#12  Hitch 07-05-2020, 01:08 AM
Quote hobnail
I just checked out from my local library All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. No quotes around the dialog. (Published in 1992.)
McCarthy is famous for that.

Hitch

#13  Alyssa Miranda 07-06-2020, 08:07 AM
Following up on Hitch's post, he also appears to be famous for excessive whitespace to pad his page count, at least that's the impression I got from reading The Road, on my top ten list of the worst novels I've ever read. With respect to his dialogue as such, that from the son of the book's protagonist is so inane and unnatural for a kid as to be laughable.

- Alyssa

#14  Hitch 07-06-2020, 09:09 AM
Quote Alyssa Miranda
Following up on Hitch's post, he also appears to be famous for excessive whitespace to pad his page count, at least that's the impression I got from reading The Road, on my top ten list of the worst novels I've ever read. With respect to his dialogue as such, that from the son of the book's protagonist is so inane and unnatural for a kid as to be laughable.

- Alyssa
Yeah. I do NOT get the mad love for The Road, at all. It feels like another scenario in which the Intelligentsia christen a writer/book as being "all that" and lauding it excessively, while the rest of us simply shake our heads. Sort of Emperor's-New-Clothes-ish.

Hitch

#15  Alyssa Miranda 07-06-2020, 10:20 AM
When I finished reading it, Peggy Lee's classic rendition of Is That All There Is? the Lieber and Stoller song came to mind (the pair also wrote the immortal Hound Dog).

#16  Hitch 07-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Quote Alyssa Miranda
When I finished reading it, Peggy Lee's classic rendition of Is That All There Is? the Lieber and Stoller song came to mind (the pair also wrote the immortal Hound Dog).

Hitch

#17  rkomar 07-06-2020, 02:39 PM
The biggest problem for me is when the same character says two things in a row, not in the same paragraph, without attribution in the second one. That always puts the brakes on my reading flow.

#18  4691mls 07-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Quote rkomar
The biggest problem for me is when the same character says two things in a row, not in the same paragraph, without attribution in the second one. That always puts the brakes on my reading flow.

I once read a book (don't remember now what book it was) where that happened frequently. It was really confusing.

#19  Alyssa Miranda 07-07-2020, 07:28 AM
Re: dialogue without tags, I recently re-read The Sun Also Rises, the novel published in 1926 that launched Hemingway's career, if not the American Macho genre, and was struck by the modern feel of his dialogue. Not only was it clear (usually) who was speaking without tags, the avoidance of excessive use of "said," the most deadly of flow-killers, also worked. (Disclaimer: I am no fan of bull fighting, which has no place in a civilized society.)

- Alyssa

#20  gmw 07-07-2020, 08:06 AM
When I read The Sun Also Rises a couple of years ago I had trouble finding anything good to say about it, most especially the dialogue. But I realise now that there is something: I was never confused about who was speaking. So thanks for that. It turns out I'm no fan of Hemingway; reading The Sun Also Rises was part of my journey to discovering that.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register