Mobileread
Pocketbook Color Lux?
#11  Ansileran 07-10-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure if I would say the colour e-ink screens aren't market ready. They do display some color after all. If there is a clearly defined customer target then it could be fine (eg. textbook reading). If you expect it to supplant lcd screens, then of course it isn't ready.

I think colour readers haven't caught on in the educational field because the softwares of those devices aren't market ready and they are way too expensive. 500€ for the jetbook 2 is equivalent to the cost of a laptop, which a student would still need...

#12  HarryT 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote Ansileran
I'm not sure if I would say the colour e-ink screens aren't market ready. They do display some color after all.
The basic issue is that they aren't "real" colour screens, but B&W screens with a colour mask on top, and that drastically impacts both clarity and resolution. I'm sure that the genuine colour eInk screens (and similar technologies) that we'll have in the next few years will be a lot better.

#13  BookCat 07-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Hope this link works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3ivdKj9SM

IMO it looks awful. Definitely not worth the money.

#14  owly 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Here's the review from Good e-reader http://goodereader.com/blog/

#15  joblack 07-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Quote HarryT
The basic issue is that they aren't "real" colour screens, but B&W screens with a colour mask on top, and that drastically impacts both clarity and resolution. I'm sure that the genuine colour eInk screens (and similar technologies) that we'll have in the next few years will be a lot better.
Of course the next years technology will be better but that 'progress property' is not Eink specific.

#16  HarryT 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Quote joblack
Of course the next years technology will be better but that 'progress property' is not Eink specific.
Certainly it's not, but the point I was making is that B&W eInk screens are now pretty good. The Triton "colour" screen is extremely poor.

#17  shanghaichica 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Full review.

http://youtu.be/GkUzNZp0-bk

The screen is pretty bad.

#18  BookCat 07-27-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm amazed by how slooooow it is.

#19  martienne 07-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Quote HarryT
Note that this is a Triton eInk screen, which is simply a colour mask placed on top of a normal black and white eInk device. The colours are weak and unsaturated (although the frontlight may improve this to some extent), and the colour mask halves the linear resolution. Other Triton devices (such as the Jetbook Color) have been poorly received.
What do you mean by "colour mask placed on top of a normal black and white eInk device"? How does that work?
It seems you are saying that this is nothing special, just a rather cheap trick..

#20  HarryT 07-27-2013, 11:04 AM
It works exactly like it sounds it does - it's a colour filter on top of a B&W eInk screen. If the eInk below the filter is black, you don't see the colour; if it's white, you do. Just like an LCD display, except that it's front-lit, rather than back-lit.

Do a Google search for "eInk Triton" for more information.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register