Mobileread
"Unfortunately, com.nook.partner has stopped" Glowlight 3
#11  hank 01-01-2019, 03:17 AM
I just got the "... has stopped" message again last night. After that the Nook became extremely slow. On a reboot, the slowness continued. And now 24 hours later, all but one of my sideloaded books is not shown in the Library.

Calibre can still see them all on the device, no problem.

Does any other company make an amber nighttime light e-reader? That's the only thing I like about the Nook, and the reason I bought it.

But gosh golly, this is lousy software.

#12  DNSB 01-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Quote hank
I just got the "... has stopped" message again last night. After that the Nook became extremely slow. On a reboot, the slowness continued. And now 24 hours later, all but one of my sideloaded books is not shown in the Library.

Calibre can still see them all on the device, no problem.

Does any other company make an amber nighttime light e-reader? That's the only thing I like about the Nook, and the reason I bought it.

You could check the Kobo Clara HD. It has the variable colour temperature light. I haven't spent that much time with B&N Nooks since they are not supported in Canada but what little experience I have suggests that Kobo's firmware is better in many aspects including the ability to customize the reading experience (check the patching threads in the Kobo forums). Even opening up a Clara HD to replace the internal uSD card with a larger one is a pretty trivial project.

#13  Ryzir 01-02-2019, 01:31 PM
I've been using Calibre Companion with my Glowlight 3 and it has been working really well.

When I first got my nook I was sideloading to the "spsd" (sideload) partition with Calibre via USB and I had lots of corruption issues causing me to re-transfer all my books and then the nook software re-scanning all my books. Since using CC I haven’t had any corruption or database issues. It also has a lot of the Calibre options like Series, Tags, and even custom metadata.

CC can’t see the “spsd” partition and the default save location isn’t scanned by the nook software (which I don’t want it to). I use the Wireless Device Connection in Calibre to transfer my books and you can set CC to open your books with the nook software. I also have Zeam Launcher set as my default launcher (Needed to be able to launch CC).

My Glowlight 3 is rooted but only to re-map the hardware buttons and add a back button for some other apps. As far as I can see you don’t need a back button in CC.

App versions I’m using: Calibre Companion 5.4.3.3 and Zeam Launcher 3.1.10.

#14  ZodWallop 01-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Quote hank

Yeah, the current software ain't what she used to be.

Quote DNSB
You could check the Kobo Clara HD. It has the variable colour temperature light... Kobo's firmware is better in many aspects including the ability to customize the reading experience...
I'll second the Kobo Clara HD recommendation. It's like the Glowlight 3, but without the page turn buttons. But Kobo's software is better than Nook's, especially if you sideload books with Calibre.

I will say I enjoy the in-book reading experience on the Nook a little more than I do on Kobo (Nook seems to be slightly better at layout and hyphenation), but I still read on both and often miss the Kobo software pluses when doing anything other than reading on my Nook.

#15  raindog89 01-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Quote hank

That is why I just bought the Clara as well. (Well, with the $99. price at Walmart.)
But as I pointed out in the Kobo forum, there is a weird bug with the amber light in the latest software. It doesn't adjust automatically throughout the day, unless you turn the Auto switch off and on once a day. I have opened a ticket with Kobo and they are supposedly looking into it.

#16  ZodWallop 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Quote raindog89
That is why I just bought the Clara as well. (Well, with the $99. price at Walmart.)
But as I pointed out in the Kobo forum, there is a weird bug with the amber light in the latest software. It doesn't adjust automatically throughout the day, unless you turn the Auto switch off and on once a day. I have opened a ticket with Kobo and they are supposedly looking into it.
Kobo has its glitches, Nook has its glitches. I guess it comes down to which you can live with.

If you have the Glowlight 3 and the Clara HD, does one or the other have a superior screen? The Glowlight 3's screen is terrific, partly because they use IR (the Glowlight Plus uses the same screen, but doesn't look quite as good because of the capacitive layer). I haven't seen a Clara in person.

Honestly, even if the Clara isn't quite as good, the Clara has other benefits.

#17  raindog89 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Kobo has its glitches, Nook has its glitches. I guess it comes down to which you can live with.
I have both the Glowlight 3 and the Clara. They are both good, but I prefer the Clara.
The screens are pretty identical, although I'm not the expert on that. ((I'm not even sure if I have the lightbleed issue that many Claras have -- I don't think mine does.)
I like the buttons on the NG3, but prefer the smaller size of the Clara. And the Kobo software (even with the auto bug) blows the Nook software out of the water. The issue with the flaky storage on the NG3 is the real dealbreaker. (I haven't even started patching yet. Will do that when I am bored.)

And one more plus for me with the Kobo -- the web server is not hidden. I like to use reabble.com as a newsreader (it's optimized for e-ink). On the NG3, you have to install a launcher to get to the web browser. And then it's just a matter of time before it gets stuck booting up.

#18  ZodWallop 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Quote raindog89
I like the buttons on the NG3, but prefer the smaller size of the Clara. And the Kobo software... blows the Nook software out of the water. The issue with the flaky storage on the NG3 is the real dealbreaker.
I can't argue with any of that. If the Clara existed when I bought the Glowlight 3, I likely would have bought a Clara.

Speaking of flaky storage, on my Glowlight 3, whenever I eject it from Calibre and it reloads my books, no matter what I was reading, it insists I was reading The Right Stuff. If I ever remove The Right Stuff from the Glowlight 3, it won't know what to do with itself!

My Glowlight Plus running the same software doesn't have that issue. Weird.

#19  raindog89 01-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Speaking of flaky storage, ...
My Glowlight Plus running the same software doesn't have that issue. Weird.
The NG3 storage is a real cluge. You might remember when it was released it had partitioned storage and then they unpartitioned it in a software update.
I could never figure out how they did that in an OTA update, but it now seems obvious it was a logical segmentation (that they removed) or bridge (that they added). And that is no doubt why the device loses sideloaded content every now and then.

#20  ZodWallop 01-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Quote raindog89
The NG3 storage is a real cluge. You might remember when it was released it had partitioned storage and then they unpartitioned it in a software update.
I could never figure out how they did that in an OTA update, but it now seems obvious it was a logical segmentation (that they removed) or bridge (that they added). And that is no doubt why the device loses sideloaded content every now and then.
Yeah, I wish they'd issue further updates to fix the device. It really is a nice piece of hardware.

But with B&N being in the state they're in, I'm not counting on it

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register