Mobileread
Problems with Sigil Files on Nook BNRV500
#11  MoReader92019 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the tip Calenorn. I did rename my image to cover.jgp in Images and that is referenced in my titlepage. I always do that in Images to work with what is already in titlepage when I use a previous epub work of mine. I use previous works as templates. That can be a problem when you forget to change things, but my attached file waiting for approval has that already. It may be something hidden or left unchanged. Maybe I am not changing the unique identifier to something that is actually unique? Some conflict? But when you save under another name, Sigil does that anyway, I believe where it is required.

#12  MoReader92019 09-20-2019, 07:12 PM
OH, that is cover.jpg not cover.jgp. A bit of message dyslexia. That is not the problem in the file.

#13  Calenorn 09-20-2019, 07:19 PM
Quote MoReader92019
Thanks for the tip Calenorn. I did rename my image to cover.jgp in Images and that is referenced in my titlepage. I always do that in Images to work with what is already in titlepage when I use a previous epub work of mine. I use previous works as templates. That can be a problem when you forget to change things, but my attached file waiting for approval has that already. It may be something hidden or left unchanged. Maybe I am not changing the unique identifier to something that is actually unique? Some conflict? But when you save under another name, Sigil does that anyway, I believe where it is required.
Hi Mo. I seem to remember the NOOK being stubborn about keeping the old thumbnail images. Can be frustrating. I think if only minor changes are made to the book, and the file size has not changed, that the NOOK will not generate a new thumbnail.

I also seem to remember that the file folder holding the thumbnail images is accessible. Maybe you can copy and paste the image you want into that folder using the name of the file that the NOOK has created.

(By the way, if you read books and then delete them, please note that those thumbnail images are NOT deleted from the NOOK. Over time they can take up a fair amount of memory. But it's simple to delete the old ones from that folder.)

At any rate, I'm pretty sure it's a NOOK quirk, and not something Sigil is doing.

#14  MoReader92019 09-21-2019, 08:41 AM
Hi Calenorn

I checked my thumbnails. The images I want were not there. I pasted them in and changed the file names to conform to the book names listed in Books under My File in my Nook. It did not work. The Generic book covers remain, and the files still boot slow. Are they booting slow because Nook is looking for a thumbnail where the connection is cut, even though I pasted them in? I may have to reset Nook? I do not have Wi-fi and resetting can be a problem with Nook as I remember without it. Have to go to the store. I might try deleting all books from Nook, cleaning out thumbnails, and reloading from my computer to see if that does anything. That is easier for me than resetting. I also dropped my Nook several times and use tape to keep it together, but the other books work fine that were Smashwords and download books from the past, so that is not likely the problem. But those books were loaded before I had to tape the thing together. Also recent Smashwords generated books do work with thumbnails good, and so I'm back to what I screwed up most likely. I just downloaded 0.9.8 and resaved and that did not work, so my old Sigil is probably not corrupted.

You may be right about confusion. I do not remember at this time, what old books I used for overwriting to create my new books. I have left stuff from old books in my files and in metadata that does not always show until you look for it with the Metadata function in Sigil. I just made another quick look at two books with the generic covers. I looks like I removed the old stuff but will keep checking to be sure. I did not check with the Metadata checker. Hope DNSB finds something in the file when he gets around to inspecting it

#15  MoReader92019 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM
To: Calenorn, DNSB:

I deleted all relevant files in Nook including annotated files, put my epub list back in and let Nook handle the rest. Something came up that I have seen before. I checked a file that was a problem. It booted up to Trump's Tariff. This was the file I used as a template for Trump's Tariff, though that was also defective. I thought maybe I could fix the problem, recalling back a few months. It still had the generic cover (pre Trump's Tariff) with its title, but booted up to Trump's Tariff from the library selection, so there is some confusion. I cannot find anything in the OPF of either that would account for this. The Metadata Editor shows nothing out of whack in both files. (I have used other files and html generation files, and still end up with no thumbnails and slow boots.) The .ncx NavPoints look different in Trump's Tariff from the template book used, but why would that interfere with Thumbnails and mix up the epub files? There is probably something embedded in the object code, that Sigil is copying over, because it thinks it is part of the file. Nook is reading this, getting mixed messages from other parts of the file, booting slow by confusion, finally making a decision and I am still screwed. Just like doc files in Word and OpenOffice, you cannot see these things. By the way, this sometimes has happened to me in html too. The object code has something screwing things up that is not showing in the source code but pops up in the read. I can start from scratch with an html file, maybe try to just duplicate the Smashwords Stylesheet by hand (no copy/paste), do everything by hand (no copy/paste) and see if it works. I do not have enough expertise in epub to really be sure of what I am doing without templates, and have been sort of ripping off Smashwords in formatting. But the files go back to Smashwords.

I want to get away from formatting headaches with doc files, and have fallen into the fire of formatting problems with epub. Any short cut recommendations would be appreciated to avoid rewrites. On the other hand, maybe other types of book readers are not having this problem that download my books?

#16  MoReader92019 09-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Hi Calenorn, DNSB:

I deleted all files from Nook (including annotated files), copied in my epub files back in and let Nook do the rest. The file that was used to make Trump’s Tariff was still in generic book form. When I booted it Trump’s Tariff came up. Nook is confusing the original with Trump’s Tariff. That has happened before. I thought I might fix the problem in Trump’s Tariff. Whether starting from html or using a template published ebook, I still run into these problems. However, even in html generated, I copy over from templates to conform to the epub validator OK. The html generated files have inline stylesheets, and page after page of epub validator errors, so many that it is depressing and overwhelming. The object code must have something embedded that is being copied over. This leaves me the option of hand typing a file from a model to hopefully get clean object code.

I checked Metadata and OPF in the two mixed up files studied so far and find nothing out of sort. The Navpoint ID in Trump’s Tariff are different and more complicated than the original. I either generated the file in Sigil or may have simply altered an ncx in place. I cannot remember what I did. Whatever I do, this thumbnail and slow boot problem remains, in spite of epub validation showing no errors. Any hints would be helpful to get a quick fix.

#17  MoReader92019 09-21-2019, 01:44 PM
I can also nuke or text my copy over stuff before entering it into a scratch file to make my own clean (sic) copy and get away from doc file problems. I thought maybe Sigil would not have that problem of embedded stuff, showing it in html. Of course, that is wishful thinking. Always looking to get things the quick and easy way.

#18  DiapDealer 09-21-2019, 01:47 PM
To my knowledge, Sigil simply doesn't have the ability to make an epub "load slow." If it validates with epubcheck, then it has to be a Nook quirk that needs accounting for.

Perhaps it's the cover image itself? Many rendering systems have issues with how jpegs get created/saved (compression, optimized/not optimized, progressive/not progressive, smoothing, exif/xmp data, etc...). The size of the image in the attachment you added itself is quite excessive. It alone is much larger than most full novel-sized epubs are altogether.

#19  MoReader92019 09-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Well, yeah, but if the object code Sigil saves has embedded information that confuses Nook, what can Nook do but slow down, make an if mandated decision to go with a default thumbnail? And if two thumbnail options are there, what does Nook do, a timeout pick and choose? I'll just start from scratch, learn how to do epub right and upload a clean copy of my files that cannot possible have embedded stuff from previous files. I have only tried this with the last several of my files anyway. My last epub used Smashwords with a few flaws that I could have fixed with Sigil, but even these seem to fool NOOK.

#20  DiapDealer 09-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Quote MoReader92019
Well, yeah, but if the object code Sigil saves has embedded information that confuses Nook, what can Nook do but slow down, make an if mandated decision to go with a default thumbnail? And if two thumbnail options are there, what does Nook do, a timeout pick and choose? I'll just start from scratch, learn how to do epub right and upload a clean copy of my files that cannot possible have embedded stuff from previous files. I have only tried this with the last several of my files anyway. My last epub used Smashwords with a few flaws that I could have fixed with Sigil, but even these seem to fool NOOK.
There's no object code involved. Sigil saves a zip archive that contains xhtml/xml/css/image files. I'm not sure what "embedded information" you're referring to. I don't know the least little bit about how Nooks work, but I DO know Sigil. And there's no embedded anything anywhere (that somebody didn't put there themselves).

You have some crazy long file names that in turn result in crazy-long links, but other than that, there's nothing hiding in that epub anywhere. There's a couple of small html files, a reasonably sized css file and a gigundous cover image that's comprised entirely of text.

show attachment »

Maybe it's not the size, but some of the image metadata. Should be easy enough test. Replace the existing cover-image with a much, much smaller one (or get rid of it even) and see how the epub performs on the device.

5000x5000 ppi to display an image full of text is a bit much. Drop the resolution a little. I know for a fact that some RMSDK-based renderers will barf on images that have a side much longer the 2000 pixels. Your image is 2050x3050 pixels. I don't know how much ram a Nook has available, but this image is occupying way more of it than it needs to.

EDIT: I also notice that image itself is not tagged with the "Cover" property. That's not spec-related so much, but perhaps the Nook relies on that particular bit of OPF metadata?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register