Mobileread
Instructions for patching firmware 4.24.15676
#81  florat 11-15-2020, 02:58 AM
Oh, sure, thank you!

#82  hermil 11-21-2020, 06:03 AM
Hello everybody.

My Kobo Aura One runs the firmware 4.24.15676, and I’m trying to patch it.

I have followed the instructions on the first post of this thread, but nothing really seems to have happened in my Aura settings. I’m not sure about the instruction number 5: «Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate)»: what does that mean?

I guess something went wrong applying the varioius patches, since the Terminal window (I’m running Mac OS X) kept showing a list of “SKIP…”.

Can you help me please?

#83  Mrs_Often 11-21-2020, 06:31 AM
Quote hermil
Hello everybody.

I have followed the instructions on the first post of this thread, but nothing really seems to have happened in my Aura settings. I’m not sure about the instruction number 5: «Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate)»: what does that mean?

I guess something went wrong applying the varioius patches, since the Terminal window (I’m running Mac OS X) kept showing a list of “SKIP…”.

Can you help me please?
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Ah well there isn't really anything going wrong... the only thing is you didn't follow step 5, like you said. All the patches are switched off by default. Step 5 is telling you to enable the patches that you want. There are two ways of doing that:

1. Inside the kobopatch_4.24.15676 folder (which contains the .sh file that you ran in the Terminal) is another folder named 'src'. This contains four files with the .yaml extension. Each of those files has the patches in. You need to go through all of these patches and choose which you want to enable. (You can open the .yaml files in a basic text editor. TextEdit will do, but I use Wrangler [also Mac OS] as it highlights the code in a handy way.) For instance, in the libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml file, the first patch is called My 10 line spacing values: and the next line says - Enabled: no. If you want to enable it, you change that next line to - Enabled: yes. Once you've done that to all the patches you want to enable, you save the file, and run the kobopatch.sh file in Terminal again.

If you choose option 1, you'll have to do the above all over again when you update your firmware and use the new patches...

2. To prevent having to do number 1 all over again when a new firmware version arrives, you can use a separate file to enable/disable all the patches you choose to use instead of editing the files inside the src folder (as explained in option 1 above). This will be lots of work now, but like I said, it will save you lots of time in the future. Next to the .sh file that you ran in the Terminal, there's a file called kobopatch.yaml. Open it in your basic text editor and you will see a few lines that say:
Code
overrides: src/nickel.yaml: src/libadobe.so.yaml: src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
These refer to the files inside the src folder that you would edit if you'd follow number 1. You can enter line breaks, and add the titles of all the patches you want to enable, under the corresponding file name. Then add "yes" or "no" to enable/disable them. For instance:
Code
overrides: src/nickel.yaml: src/libadobe.so.yaml: src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: My 10 line spacing values: yes #add some text behind a hash to remind yourself what this is src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Make sure there are 4 spaces before the line with the title of the patch (not a tab indent).

When you're done adding all the titles of the patches you want in the kobopatch.yaml file, save the file, and run the .sh file in Terminal like you did, and follow the rest of the steps in the first post.

I hope that clarifies! Good luck

#84  kobayashi 11-21-2020, 11:45 AM
Quote hermil
Hello everybody.

Can you help me please?
4.25 is the newest firmware, FWIW

#85  hermil 11-21-2020, 02:06 PM
Dear Mrs_Often,
I followed your instructions and everything worked fine.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your help.

You saved my day!

#86  JSWolf 11-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Quote hermil
Dear Mrs_Often,

You saved my day!
You've actually made a mistake here and patched the 4.24.15676 when you should have done 4.25.15875.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334722

#87  DNSB 11-21-2020, 03:58 PM
Quote JSWolf
You've actually made a mistake here and patched the 4.24.15676 when you should have done 4.25.15875.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334722
Jon, the thread between @hermil and @Mrs_Often regarding patching 4.24.15676 in the thread for patching 4.24.15676 was not a mistake. Her response allowed @hermil to patch his existing firmware. If and/or when @hermil decides to update to 4.25.15875, that is his choice.

What @kobayashi posted as a reminder that there is a new firmware revision is all that was needed, IMNSHO.

#88  Mrs_Often 11-22-2020, 06:14 AM
Quote hermil
Dear Mrs_Often,

You saved my day!
You’re welcome! Glad I could help.

« First  « Prev   (9/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register