Mobileread
kobopatch - An improved patching system
#381  NiLuJe 11-24-2020, 05:04 PM
@WormGod:

1. Yep.

2. That applies to very few and very specific things (I'd say line height, font sizes, possibly margins?). If you don't touch the UI at all, there's a chance the values will be preserved on a vanilla system, otherwise, the UI does what it's asked to and stomps on it .

TL;DR: Patch ASAP after an update .

3. Depending on how familiar you are with how things works, you have a couple of choices:

a. Install 'em one by one. I'd start with the patches.

b. Merge the tarballs into a single one. You can only concatenate uncompressed tarballs, so, uncompress and recompress yourself (c.f., http://trac.ak-team.com/trac/browser/niluje/Configs/trunk/Kindle/Kobo_Hacks/Patches/autopatch.sh#L170). Nothing should ever clash with what the patches tarball contains, so it's generally safe.

c. Install stuff manually, live in a shell. After all, the only thing the system does with those is tar xvzf KoboRoot.tgz -C / . This is potentially not a great idea for the patches themselves if you do it with Nickel still running, ^^. And most things will require a reboot to take.

#382  WormGod 11-25-2020, 08:57 AM
Quote NiLuJe
b. Merge the tarballs into a single one. You can only concatenate uncompressed tarballs, so, uncompress and recompress yourself (c.f., http://trac.ak-team.com/trac/browser/niluje/Configs/trunk/Kindle/Kobo_Hacks/Patches/autopatch.sh#L170). Nothing should ever clash with what the patches tarball contains, so it's generally safe.
Thanks! I'm going to start playing with this over the next few days (after reading through all the individual kobopatch patches and the entire MiniClock thread).
Is there any limit to the number of tarballs that I can put into a KoboRoot.tgz file? One big initial update seems faster than a bunch of sequential updates.

#383  NiLuJe 11-25-2020, 09:47 AM
As long as the contents don't clash, not really.

Then again, there aren't that many things actually worth installing these days, and/or things needing a refresh after FW updates, so that shouldn't really be an issue .

« First  « Prev   (39/39)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register