Mobileread
Kobo H2O: Need SD Image
#11  Frenzie 10-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Quote mementomori
Hi!
Thank you Davidfor and Cesco for your replies! . I just joined the forum today and its nice to see quick replies like these. Just now, I was able to resolve this problem through a different approach.

As for the methods stated above, I tried them many times but they didn't work for me.

What have I done to get a bricked H2O? When I tried to root my Kobo H2O using the instructions here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233259

particularly these steps:

Step 1
- connect the Kobo to the PC
- copy the folder kbmenupngs to the root of the device (e.g. K:\)
- eject safely and disconnect
- check that the 3 images (exit_nickel.png, simulate_usb_connection.png, toggle_nightmode.png ) are listed in the library. Only then proceed to step two.

Step 2
- connect the Kobo to the PC
- copy KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo of the device
- eject safely and disconnect
- wait until the update is finished

I ended up with a Kobo H2O in an infinite boot loop. All I can see is the flashing white LED (slow blinking). The small squares (loading screen) that Cesco mentioned, didn't even show up.
Are you sure you used the most recent version for 3.3 to 3.8? The version in the OP there states it only works up to firmware 3.1.

#12  mementomori 10-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi! I haven't gotten to this part. In the post, I needed to change some files for startup like the one you mentioned (rcS). Were you able to get this working on your H2O?

I need to check your filesystem thread. The size is correct, the image is around 4GB. I thought Kobo would prevent us root access thereby preventing getting access to these filesystems. Were you doing telnet on the device? Anyway I think I'll have to check your thread to understand this better.

#13  mementomori 10-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Teardown images.. Poor Camera sorry..
image »
image »
image »

#14  mementomori 10-18-2014, 11:20 AM
@Frenzie. LOL! my mistake, I did use the wrong one.

#15  DNSB 10-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Quote davidfor
Interesting. From something someone said recently, that might work on all the devices. Apparently, there is check in a script run during the boot that checks how many times the device has been restarted without nickel running successfully. I think that number was four times. Doing the pinhole reset four times like that should trigger the action. When I get a chance, I might try this on my Touch.
After reading that comment in the advboot thread, I tried it on a Glo and after running koreader on startup 3 times, the 4th time it wanted to do a factory reset. I tried tshering's modification to rcS and it stopped asking for the factory reset. At the moment, it looks as if on a Mini or Aura H2O, that modification might not be a good idea.

#16  Ken Maltby 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM
If you are trying to use the Kobo Start Menu on the new H2o, see this. and this.

Luck;
Ken

#17  mementomori 10-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks!

#18  Frenzie 10-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Quote mementomori
1. Pry the bezel off. You can use your fingernails. I used mine.
I was wondering, do you have any scratch marks now?

#19  mementomori 10-18-2014, 12:35 PM
none. still looks like new But I wont submerge it underwater.

#20  mementomori 10-18-2014, 01:08 PM
I tried to replace the 4gb sdcard with a 16gb and expanded the user partition. Apparently, it works fine.

@Ken, I did all of those and I can see the menu now However the menu doesn't seem to respond to any input. I can proceed to the original application (i guess it's called nickel) when I press the power button from the menu.

Is the development at this stage? Has someone successfully run koReader in an H2O?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/55)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register