Mobileread
Summary of Modified Fonts
#521  ZodWallop 08-08-2020, 07:47 PM
Quote gogu1904
Yes, indeed. That was the origin of my post. While searching for new versions of the Literata Book I found out that quotation. Is Literata Book a shortcut for Literata 2.1? No upgrades, no updates, etc? That quotation is either wrong or it does not make any sense.
I read the quote you are talking about and it is confusing.

But as you can see, Literata has much more padding around the characters than Literata Book. Also, Literata book is a bit heavier, resulting in darker characters on e-ink.

#522  gogu1904 08-10-2020, 07:43 AM
Hello.

I am playing with Spectral, and renamed Medium and MediumItalic to Regular and Italic. I have been working in three different ways:

(a) via KoboifyFonts and last version of FontForge;
(b) via ReadifyFont and last version of FontForge;
(c) directly with FontForge.

(a) fails with syntax errors (to be expected).

(b) does not work. The fonts are practically destroyed. The letter o and punctuation characters in bold and regular are drawn deffectively (like the internal ring in o becomes elongated and gets outside the external ring).

(c) works well. But this is a manual procedure and I am looking for something more automated for these simple renames.

Do you know what I can do? I am setting up fonttools to see if that works. Will report on it.

Thank you.

#523  JSWolf 08-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Quote gogu1904
Hello.

I am playing with Spectral, and renamed Medium and MediumItalic to Regular and Italic.
You have to be careful. The medium variants may have medium in the internal font name and thus won't be seen as the same font as the bold and bolditalic versions.

The thing is, if there are OTF fonts, save then as TTF fonts. Then load then into the fonts directory of your Kobo. As long as you have the advanced font control patch installed, just the the Advanced Font control to add weight. That is the best solution. You don't have to fool around to get the font the way you want. The advanced font control is all you need.

The reason ChareInk comes in weighted and unweighted versions is because some people are using Readers that do not have font controls to up the weight.

#524  gogu1904 08-10-2020, 10:23 AM
The problem is that I also use KOReader on my Kobo, and there I don't have the same font weight fine tuning.

#525  JSWolf 08-11-2020, 07:07 AM
Quote gogu1904
The problem is that I also use KOReader on my Kobo, and there I don't have the same font weight fine tuning.
But do you actually need to use KOReader? Is there anything wrong with reading ePub without KOReader?

#526  gogu1904 08-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Not at all. I just like to have all my sideloaded books on the kobo and prefer to access them via a folder like structure. I do not have yet an idea of how to get this via collections or otherwise, so for my sideloaded books I use koreader and for the kobo books I use nickel. I know, not the perfect setup. I would love to use nickel alone.

I know of the collections generator from folder structure, but I am not quite happy with it. I am not very familiar with calibre solution to this. Any advice pointing me to further experimentation is most appreciated. Thank you.

#527  JSWolf 08-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Quote gogu1904
Not at all. I just like to have all my sideloaded books on the kobo and prefer to access them via a folder like structure. I do not have yet an idea of how to get this via collections or otherwise, so for my sideloaded books I use koreader and for the kobo books I use nickel. I know, not the perfect setup. I would love to use nickel alone.

I know of the collections generator from folder structure, but I am not quite happy with it. I am not very familiar with calibre solution to this. Any advice pointing me to further experimentation is most appreciated. Thank you.
You should not jump into KOReader without trying what's available with the Kobo firmware. Thing is, in most cases, there's no need for a directory structure with collections, and series. So the Kobo firmware a try and you'll see you may not need KOReader.

Read this Wiki entry one how to setup collections and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections

Also, you'll be able to take advantage of the patches and things like NickelMenu.

#528  JeanPierre 08-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Quote ZodWallop
I agree. That's why I use Literata Book.

Here's two pics of my Kobo, one showing the new 36pt Literata and the other showing Literata Book. Both have the same font settings including line height slid all the way to the left.
Literata Book is Literata v2 which has had the vertical spacing reduced. The space between letters (kerning) is improved in v3. The space you're seeing between words is due to the fact you're reading with justified text rather than ragged right (which I use, and keeps the space between words consistent). The difference in weight is because the 36pt variant has lighter leading edges to fonts, and a fairer comparison would be between the 12pt variant and Literata Book.

I am sure I mentioned much of this when I first posted Literata Book in this thread. You'll also notice the digits are a different style in Literata Book.

#529  JSWolf 08-17-2020, 12:37 PM
Quote JeanPierre
Literata Book is Literata v2 which has had the vertical spacing reduced. The space between letters (kerning) is improved in v3. The space you're seeing between words is due to the fact you're reading with justified text rather than ragged right (which I use, and keeps the space between words consistent). The difference in weight is because the 36pt variant has lighter leading edges to fonts, and a fairer comparison would be between the 12pt variant and Literata Book.

I am sure I mentioned much of this when I first posted Literata Book in this thread. You'll also notice the digits are a different style in Literata Book.
Sorry,but you are not correct about the spacing. Have a look at post #516 in this thread and look at the two photos. You will see that in Literata v3, the spacing is off compared to Literata Book. Both photos are justofoed so that is not the reason for the odd spacing with Literata. If as you say that Literata is a newer version of Literata Book, whoever change Literata Book to Literata didn't do it correctly.

#530  ZodWallop 08-17-2020, 12:45 PM
Quote JeanPierre

The space between letters comes from Kobo sucking at kepub layout, particularly when enabling ligatures. I've gotten used to it.

My shots were only to show the difference in line height between Literata and Literata Book. Literata is not useful to me due to the line height.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (53/54)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register