Mobileread
Any
#1  tmanwell 07-10-2020, 04:04 PM
I'm looking for something E-ink based that runs Android so that I can (a) have the light weight, long batt life, and positive outdoor reading experience of an E-reader, but also (b) the ability to access Hoopla Digital... which straight E-readers like Kindle etc. can't do. I know the new Boox Poke 2 is pretty hot, but I prefer a bigger screen. I also prefer something I can get from Amazon, so I can return it if I don't like it.

So, would love to hear some thoughts on the Likebook Mars E-reader, and/or suggested alternatives (but still within that $220 or less price range).

Thanks.

T.

#2  JSWolf 07-10-2020, 04:22 PM
You can get Pocketbook Readers from Newegg.com.

#3  ottischwenk 07-10-2020, 11:45 PM
Quote JSWolf
You can get Pocketbook Readers from Newegg.com.
They do not have Android.

#4  ottischwenk 07-11-2020, 12:03 AM
Quote tmanwell
So, would love to hear some thoughts on the Likebook Mars E-reader, and/or suggested alternatives (but still within that $220 or less price range).
There is nothing else.
All other 7.8 inch Android devices have Wacom and this screen has the sun bug and they are more expensive.
I sometimes read from the Likebook Mars that it cannot start if it is not used (charged) for a long time.
I sold mine as soon as the Likebook Ares came out, but only because I preferred the flat screen.

#5  tmanwell 07-11-2020, 08:32 AM
Quote ottischwenk
There is nothing else.
All other 7.8 inch Android devices have Wacom and this screen has the sun bug and they are more expensive.
I sometimes read from the Likebook Mars that it cannot start if it is not used (charged) for a long time.
I sold mine as soon as the Likebook Ares came out, but only because I preferred the flat screen.
There are the Boox products, but I don't think they have anything in 7.8" at that price point. The new Poke2 is 6". I think you also have to get it from their own store, and I'd prefer to buy from Amazon....cuz that way I have the security of knowing I can use their returns system etc. if it doesn't work or I don't like it.
Did you have any issues/frustrations with your Mars??

#6  ottischwenk 07-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Quote tmanwell
Did you have any issues/frustrations with your Mars??
No.
I never had any problems, otherwise I wouldn't have sold it.
The only app I didn't get running was Sygic, a navigation application (GPS over Bluetooth).
What exactly do you want to know?
I prefer the Likebook devices to the Boox devices of the same size.

#7  orebmur 07-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Quote tmanwell
I'm looking for something E-ink based that runs Android so that I can (a) have the light weight, long batt life, and positive outdoor reading experience of an E-reader, [...]
May i suggest the comparatively cheap Hisense A5 for such a purpose?

wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Hisense_A5

While not just an e-reader but a full fledged Android smartphone, if you use it without any SIM card, it is an excellent portable e-reader device. Quite a few members on this forum use it this way as an always available e-reader for epubs.

For me it is an excellent portable companion of the 10 inch devices usually preferred for reading pdf documents.

#8  ottischwenk 07-11-2020, 11:46 AM
Quote orebmur

While not just an e-reader but a full fledged Android smartphone, if you use it without any SIM card, it is an excellent portable e-reader device. Quite a few members on this forum use it this way as an always available e-reader for epubs.

For me it is an excellent portable companion of the 10 inch devices usually preferred for reading pdf documents.
Is the screen bigger than 6 inches (Boox Poke2)?
Can you get the device from Amazon?

#9  tmanwell 07-11-2020, 12:44 PM
Quote orebmur

It's an interesting looking device, but I think my old eyes need a larger screen...that's why I'm leaning toward the Likebook Mars. 7.8" display.
Thanks!

T

#10  bazz2004 07-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Remember that you can enlarge your font size to make reading easier on any e-reader. I'm pretty cynical about the value of these android based e-readers - very niche, very expensive and loads of bugs that the makers can't sort out.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register