Mobileread
New Amazon Fire HD 8
#1  leebase 05-14-2020, 10:46 PM
https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-HD-8-Tablet/dp/B07TMJ1R3X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=amazon+fire+hd+8&qid= 1589510457&sr=8-1

Read all about it.
Faster (1.3 to 2.0) for 30%
12 hour battery life
USB-C (wireless charging option)
Double the memory (32g or 64g)
2gig ram up from 1.5gig
up to 1tb microsd card

Apparently the same screen.

I've bought each new HD8 for some years now. This is a nice upgrade. We'll see how I feel come Black Friday (or Amazon Day) deals.

However, my use of the Fire Tabs has pretty much stopped since I got my iPad Mini with 512gig storage. And I have a house full of the last gen HD 8's and a Walmart Onn 8" tablet that fulfill the "bring something cheap along so you won't cry so much if you use it".

But...were I making regular use of the HD 8's I own, I'd definitely buy this. I still may.

#2  Barbara1955 05-15-2020, 02:24 AM
PPI too LOW. Dont understand why they wont do 300 PPI ...grrrr

#3  stumped 05-15-2020, 04:16 AM
i see they added JSWolf's favourite USB C fast charge port
not much else has changed
I still have a 2017 one gathering dust - can't find anyone to lend it to !

LOW PPI keeps the price down. its adequate for 720p streaming on 8 inch screen.
I doubt many people will buy it primarily for the reading experience

#4  murraypaul 05-15-2020, 05:23 AM
Quote Barbara1955
PPI too LOW. Dont understand why they wont do 300 PPI ...grrrr
Because it only costs $90.
This is a cheap and cheerful device that you can give to the kids and not worry too much about it being damaged.
They are not trying to compete at the top end.

#5  stumped 05-15-2020, 05:31 AM
Quote murraypaul
Because it only costs $90.
This is a cheap and cheerful device that you can give to the kids and not worry too much about it being damaged.
They are not trying to compete at the top end.
that's exactly why i bought my older one

Amazon quit the high end when they dropped the HDX range
target market is folks who will shop amazon, use prime video, maybe read a book occasionally, use Alexa ( the new ones are dockable for hands free voice )

& they have realized that their app store will never compete with google/apple. they offer just enough apps to offer a basic service.

off topic, but i noticed recently when messing with my HD 10 that Google DNS is locked in, if you set up your own DNS then 8.8.8.8 gets added. Maybe it goes away if you pay to remove special offers - I think its done to ensure you get the amazon adds. So I cant use only customisable OpenDNS & lose the clickbait like I can on my other devices.

#6  Barbara1955 05-15-2020, 11:00 AM
That extra $90 would be well worth it to me & others that READ on their Fire Tablets... & doing other things too. Why tote around Fire & Kindle ... thats Crazy! AND Cost just as much if not MORE than $90 of having a Kindle

#7  93terp 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Can you side-load books to a Fire device from Calibre? Or can you only download to the device from the Amazon Kindle store?

#8  stumped 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Quote Barbara1955
That extra $90 would be well worth it to me & others that READ on their Fire Tablets... & doing other things too. Why tote around Fire & Kindle ... thats Crazy! AND Cost just as much if not MORE than $90 of having a Kindle
I guess they did their market research and found there are not enough people like you

{- or like me, I'd love a 2020 Fire HDX but it ain't gonna happen.}

and that you will probably give in and buy a e-ink-kindle and a fire tablet
why sell one gadget when you can sell 2

FWIW I can read quite happily on the HD 10, in 2 page landscape. dunno what the ppi comparison is between that & the HD 8 . HD10 is FHD, so more pixels but its a bigger screen area which dilutes the ppi

#9  Barbara1955 05-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Quote 93terp
Can you side-load books to a Fire device from Calibre? Or can you only download to the device from the Amazon Kindle store?
IF your PC see it as an Added Device Yes. You can Also DL the App SEND to Kindle & Calibre can send ebooks to your Amazon account then they can send to what Devices you have on the account for you ... no connecting to PC at all. Then there is the Email to Device option tho that Never worked for me. I can now Side load to my Fire 10... but new PC like old PC wont except the Older Fire HD gen 2/3.

#10  Barbara1955 05-15-2020, 11:16 AM
Quote stumped
i guess they did their market research and found there are not enough people like you

and that you will probably give in and buy a e-ink-kindle and a fire tablet
why sell one gadget when you can sell 2

FWIW I can read quite happily on the HD 10, in 2 page landscape. dunno what the ppi comparison is between that & the HD 8 . HD10 is FHD, so more pixels but its a bigger screen area which dilutes the ppi
And yet the HDX Flew off their shelves... too high priced for ME, tho had I knew it had the 300 PPI I would have figured a way to buy one. OOOO I Didnt NEED it back then!

Next »  Last »  (1/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register