Mobileread
iPad Ebook reader with autoscrolling
#1  Andy Slave 05-08-2020, 06:37 AM
Hi everyone, my mum is a disabled person who cannot use his hands and would need an Ebook Reader to be used on Ipad 2, which has the autoscrolling functionality with speed.

I bought Gerty to her, but autoscrolling only works until the end of the chapter and then need to manually scroll the page (which cannot be done).

Do you know an app for Ipad 2 that is an ebook reader for reading epub or pdf files and that has full automatic scrolling?

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

#2  kyteflyer 05-11-2020, 06:21 PM
I don’t think one exists anymore. There’s an old app called Tomes which is able to do as you want but I don’t know if its available to anyone who had not previously purchased it. It hasnt been updated for 6 years. I know this only because I bought it back in 2008 and now cannot download because its not compatible with iOS13

#3  twowheels 05-11-2020, 08:23 PM
The app by Pocketbook has automatic scrolling, and after briefly playing with it on the iPhone it looked very promising. Not sure if they have an iPad version or not.

It's a feature that I loved on my old Palm III readers -- being able to set the scroll rate and adjust it easily with the up and down buttons was awesome -- it really kept me on track and focused as if I lost focus I lost my place.

#4  twowheels 05-11-2020, 08:24 PM
Looks like they do have an iPad version, but I've never tried it. It's free, so worth playing with.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pocketbook-reader/id805488884#?platform=ipad

#5  twowheels 05-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Also, it looks like Marvin 3 has auto-scroll too. I remember when that was first released it was extremely popular around here, but haven't seen much about it since:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/marvin-3/id1086482858

I bought the pro version, but never ended up using it much.

#6  tomsem 05-12-2020, 02:57 AM
Apple Books autoscrolls with Speak Screen (you can mute). Reading speed adjustment is limited though (1/2, 1, 1.5, 2)

#7  Cootey 05-13-2020, 02:06 AM
Quote tomsem
Apple Books autoscrolls with Speak Screen (you can mute). Reading speed adjustment is limited though (1/2, 1, 1.5, 2)
That's an interesting solution. Using Speak Screen to silently read the ebook does function as autoscrolling! You could also turn Voice Over on in General>Accessibility. Then you could use many apps (Kindle, Apple Books, etc) to read the screen to her. The pages automatically turn. Obviously, mute it as tomsem suggested, and it turns pages silently.

#8  robarr 07-26-2020, 06:08 AM
Kybook 3 pro have an auto scroll option too.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register