#21  Quoth 04-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Quote Sirtel
It's exactly the opposite for me.
You love fingerprints?

#22  Sirtel 04-02-2020, 11:13 AM
a
Quote Quoth
You love fingerprints?
No, they just don't bother me on my phone, but bother me mightily on my ereaders and my tablet. I've gone so far that I use a stylus to navigate my ereaders and tablet, not a finger. With the phone I don't care about fingerprints.

#23  4691mls 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Quote Sirtel
a

No, they just don't bother me on my phone, but bother me mightily on my ereaders and my tablet. I've gone so far that I use a stylus to navigate my ereaders and tablet, not a finger. With the phone I don't care about fingerprints.
My ereaders have matte screens so fingerprints aren't as obvious to me as on my shiny phone.

#24  Ripplinger 04-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Quote 4691mls
My ereaders have matte screens so fingerprints aren't as obvious to me as on my shiny phone.
Same here. I also have oily skin and I never see fingerprints or smudges on my ereaders. Phones, yes, especially because they're touching your ears and face at times.

Unless you're eating french fries and then swiping across your screen, I can't see how it's a problem for ereaders with a matte screen. Flush screens might show that problem more, I'm not sure if that top layer is matte or not on a flush screen reader.

#25  Sirtel 04-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Quote Ripplinger
Same here. I also have oily skin and I never see fingerprints or smudges on my ereaders. Phones, yes, especially because they're touching your ears and face at times.

Unless you're eating french fries and then swiping across your screen, I can't see how it's a problem for ereaders with a matte screen. Flush screens might show that problem more, I'm not sure if that top layer is matte or not on a flush screen reader.
I see them even on a matte screen. And no, I don't swipe the screen with dirty fingers. I see them on my phone too, of course, but for some mysterious reason they don't bother me on my phone.

#26  haertig 04-02-2020, 03:40 PM
For the way I use an eReader/smartphone, I see zero benefit for a flush screen. But a couple of minor negatives: It's slicker all the way around, thus more likely to be dropped. For holding purposes, I like the feel of my fingers on a bezel rather than on a piece of glass. Flush is usually more expensive than recessed, but not so much for eReaders as for smartphones. After flush comes rounded sides, which I really hate. Supposedly a luxury look, but causes practical problems (like good case fitting, and being able to hold on to the slippery thing) and really kicks up the price. So we need to stop the rounded sides in advance, by cutting off flush screens at the root.

In my mind, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Flush provides no perceived benefits for me, so why do it? I'm wondering where everybody that is complaining about dust reads. My house is far from a laboratory clean room, but I don't have any problem with dust on the screen (everywhere else in the house, yeah, but not on the eReader screen).

#27  DNSB 04-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Quote haertig
For the way I use an eReader/smartphone, I see zero benefit for a flush screen. But a couple of minor negatives: It's slicker all the way around, thus more likely to be dropped. For holding purposes, I like the feel of my fingers on a bezel rather than on a piece of glass.
Why are you conflating a flush screen with not having bezels around the edge of the screen?

#28  Quoth 04-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Flush is a separate issue to a borderless screen (which is technically difficult and fragile, most so called edge to edge just have small bezel). You can have flush with a large border/bezel.

Additionally flush screens vary hugely on the distance of the actual displayed image from the outer surface, though maybe not so much the eink types.

#29  bookyboy 04-03-2020, 12:44 AM
I will admit - I do wish the screen on my Voyages was recessed.

I find it far more comfortable to grip the bezels with little to no worry about accidentally turning the page...

If only Amazon would let Voyages disable the screen as one can do on an Oasis.

#30  Dr. Drib 04-05-2020, 11:20 AM
I prefer flush.

Perhaps some enterprising company could create a DX-sized Kindle cover that will fit a Kindle Voyage, one centered right in the middle of this oversized cover. Then it could be comfortably held with both hands AND/OR feet without triggering an accidental page turn.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register