Mobileread
Quiet times
#1  pwalker8 03-15-2020, 09:05 AM
Things have been kind of quiet here over the last week or so. Here is the good ol' USA, everyone is hunkering down because of the coronavirus and live sports has mostly been called off. That means more time for movies and reading. Disney released the digital release of Rise of Skywalker early. It wasn't suppose to be released until Tuesday according to iTunes.

On the eBook front, we are in the Spring release season. The new Mercy Thompson book comes out on Tuesday. I had a number of books that were released in the last month or so, including two new WW II books - Tower of Skulls by Richard Frank and Bloody Okinawa by Joseph Wheelan. Tower of Skulls is about the Asia-Pacific War from July 1937 to May 1942. Non fiction typically takes me much longer to read than fiction.

On the audiobook front, I went through my audible wishlist and noticed that a number of books had dropped below that magic pull the trigger price point, so I did a bulk buy. I also noticed that quite a few books are listed as no longer available. I guess the contract expired. Personally, I consider it fairly short sighted for a copyright holder to pull a book from either the eBook or audiobook store. You can't make money on a book if people can't buy it. Can't say that I understand the rational unless maybe it's an older recordings and they are in the process of recording a new version with a different narrator.

#2  ZodWallop 03-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I've noticed the slowdown.

#3  issybird 03-15-2020, 10:16 AM
For me, it’s because of a cascading effect. When I’m online, I spend less time here as I make myself nuts obsessively reading the news. So I force myself to put the tablet down, which also means less time here! On the positive side, this has definitely meant more time spent reading.

#4  pwalker8 03-15-2020, 11:35 AM
Quote issybird
For me, it’s because of a cascading effect. When I’m online, I spend less time here as I make myself nuts obsessively reading the news. So I force myself to put the tablet down, which also means less time here! On the positive side, this has definitely meant more time spent reading.
I suspect that people are obsessively reading the news. The cynic in me says missions accomplished for the news web sites which tend to focus on the most sensational speculation to drive web clicks.

Just got an email from Disney + (free 1 year subscription because I have unlimited data on Verizon), Frozen 2 just got released on Disney's streaming service, 3 months early.

#5  Sirtel 03-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Nothing's really changed for me. I'm pretty reclusive and my social activity is pretty much nonexistent, so it's life as usual for me. All live entertainments and events are forbidden here, schools, movie theaters, exhibitions, night clubs, gyms, pools etc. are closed, borders are closed to foreigners. But those things have never been a major part of my life anyway, so I don't really miss anything.

#6  Quoth 03-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Quote Sirtel
Nothing's really changed for me. … schools, movie theaters, exhibitions, night clubs, gyms, pools etc. are closed, borders are closed to foreigners. But those things have never been a major part of my life anyway, so I don't really miss anything.
Me too. I've given up crossing borders ages ago. Last time was a 1 week job interview (all expenses paid) in Switzerland some years ago. I turned it down.

#7  maddz 03-15-2020, 05:28 PM
It's quiet here too although we're not really shut down apart from sports. There's been runs on the shops - I got the last of the bulk buys needed (all stuff we'll use) as I suspect I'll be advised to self-isolate in the coming weeks (my age and my health) or we'll need to give house room to Paul's mother (elderly). The government is threatening to put all over 70s into isolation.

I'm back at work tomorrow after a week off, so I'll see what happens (I suspect I'll be triaging the work plan to see what can be dropped if people are off sick).

#8  Tarana 03-15-2020, 07:15 PM
I've been news guzzling, but also putting in more cat attention time. Unfortunately, one of our cats is going downhill. Follow-up consultation with vet tomorrow. I'm done with all shopping for at least a month, except a weekly pickup of milk, bread, fruit, which I can do by app if necessary. Lots of frozen vegetables to use once fresh is used up. My brother and Mom are at high risk (well, I probably am as well), so we isolate as much as possible now. Getting in lots of reading though!

#9  Sirtel 03-15-2020, 07:38 PM
My sister and her husband might actually have had the virus, when they returned from their vacation in Andorra 2 weeks ago. They weren't tested, because their doctor insisted they didn't have the right symptoms for COVID-19 and they just had the flu. But by all descriptions floating around they had the symptoms. Anyway, it's pointless to test now, because it's not supposed to be infectious anymore. Or so they were told.

I and our mom haven't been in physical contact with them since their return and we decided we won't visit for 2 more weeks, just in case. Mostly because our mom is 82 years old and at risk. I'm not high risk, but I might infect Mom, who lives with me. So I'm not going to visit either.

#10  pwalker8 03-16-2020, 07:34 AM
From the coronavirus point of view, I've got plenty of supplies, though I'll likely run out of cat litter first. Right now, the karate school is staying open, but we will see. My mother is at high risk, but she's living out in the boonies with my sister, so she's fairly isolated. I've done everything I can do, so we will see how it turns out.

I suspect that trying to tune out things like the latest speculation on the virus and the ups and downs of the stock market is the best approach. Stress can have a very negative effect on a person's health, and as well as negatively impact one's immune system.

One of the many bad things about a situation like this is wondering about what's happened to online friends and acquaintances. I know there are several here who have mentioned in passing being older or living in an assisted living facility. When someone like that stops posting, I wonder if something happened to them. I've been involved in online communities since the early 80's when I was on BIX. Sometimes someone will post when one of the community has passed, but usually it's simply "anyone remember so-n-so? Wonder what happened to them."

Next »  Last »  (1/32)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register