Mobileread
I like to keep up with the current version but this time it was a mistake
#1  hobnail 03-14-2020, 05:03 PM
In Sigil for the code view font I've been using Microsoft's Cascadia Code. Ordinarily I'd use Microsoft's Consolas but I switched to Cascadia Code when I heard about it since it looks even nicer. Today I finally upgraded Sigil from 0.whatever it was to the latest version. Checking the preferences I saw Cascadia Code and decided to see if there's a newer version and there was so I replaced the one I had with the new one.

They've completely changed the curly quotes. They look like regular straight quotes. In the screen grab the "Regular quotes" paragraph is using the straight quotes. If you look very close their curly quotes are slightly thicker at the tops or bottoms but it's much too subtle for my eyes.

It also has ligatures for coding stuff; I recently read an article online somewhere where they said that is a bad idea. I guess I should try and figure out where they're used so I don't get tripped by that as well.
Annotation 2020-03-14 135431.jpg 

#2  hobnail 03-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Ugh, the ligatures are as bad as having the numeric html entities replaced (some like that, but I don't). So != is replaced by an equals sign with a diagonal slash through it, => is replaced by that math arrow symbol.

#3  Tex2002ans 03-23-2020, 09:52 PM
Quote hobnail
Ugh, the ligatures [...] So != is replaced by an equals sign with a diagonal slash through it, => is replaced by that math arrow symbol.
Looks like the ligatureless version is now called "Cascadia Mono":

https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/releases

Looks like the change happened around November 2019.

Quote hobnail
It also has ligatures for coding stuff; I recently read an article online somewhere where they said that is a bad idea. I guess I should try and figure out where they're used so I don't get tripped by that as well.
Some people like it, some people don't.

Would be interested in seeing this article you speak of.

#4  DNSB 03-23-2020, 10:44 PM
Quote Tex2002ans
I've seen so many articles both for and against ligatures and coding that finding one is just a Google search away. One sample would be found at I'm Not a Fan of Programming Font Ligatures.

Personally, I'm more in the no camp. The only time I used a font that produced ligatures, it made it harder not easier to read the code.

#5  j.p.s 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM
Quote hobnail
Quote Tex2002ans
Some people like it, some people don't.

Quote DNSB
I've seen so many articles both for and against ligatures and coding that finding one is just a Google search away. One sample would be found at I'm Not a Fan of Programming Font Ligatures.

Personally, I'm more in the no camp. The only time I used a font that produced ligatures, it made it harder not easier to read the code.
Killing copy and paste makes it a non-starter for me. I'm surprised no one is complaining about that.

#6  hobnail 03-24-2020, 02:17 PM
Quote Tex2002ans
Looks like the ligatureless version is now called "Cascadia Mono":

https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/releases

Looks like the change happened around November 2019.

Ah, thanks. I'll give it a try.

#7  hobnail 03-24-2020, 02:31 PM
Quote j.p.s
Killing copy and paste makes it a non-starter for me. I'm surprised no one is complaining about that.
I typed this into notepad using Cascadia Code got the ligatures and it pasted correctly into paint.net's text tool.

Code
-> --> ==> != === !== && || <=<
### ***
www.whatever

#8  Tex2002ans 03-24-2020, 06:13 PM
Quote j.p.s
The individual letters inside the ligatures themselves are there, it's only the way they're displayed. Copy/Paste and search shouldn't be messed up at all.

#9  hobnail 03-24-2020, 06:43 PM
It's the same as if you were to type fi, fl, etc. with a font/setup that does ligatures; copy and paste gets what you typed.

#10  j.p.s 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM
Quote j.p.s
Quote Tex2002ans
The individual letters inside the ligatures themselves are there, it's only the way they're displayed. Copy/Paste and search shouldn't be messed up at all.
Quote hobnail
It's the same as if you were to type fi, fl, etc. with a font/setup that does ligatures; copy and paste gets what you typed.
My mistake then.

My only known recent experience with ligatures was a letter I wrote last year in libreoffice. When I printed it there was a blank space where a letter pair had been. I pulled the file up again and the correct letters were there. It took me a while to figure out they were shown as a ligature and that the printer font didn't have it. That put in my mind that a ligature is its own character.

It is still my opinion that ligatures are worse than useless.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register