Mobileread
Invert Poke 2 screen
#1  rfog 07-26-2020, 04:37 AM
Hello all!

Is there any way to invert colours of Poke 2? Night mode or whatever we can call? Native reading application can't (AFAIK), and system seems not as well.

Kindle and FBReader do it, but I wanted to do with native app or system (via one Android App, for example, but I cannot find any that do that).

PS: BTW, Android KOReader works very bad. It locks, refuses to start most of time...

#2  Pajamaman 07-26-2020, 01:21 PM
Alreader and Koreader and Moonreader do it. Yeah, sucks neoreader doesn't do it. Koreader will even invert scanned pdf's. Koreader has some issues with the back button exiting. Pazos very kindly compiled a no back button version for me.

#3  pazos 07-27-2020, 09:37 AM
Quote rfog
PS: BTW, Android KOReader works very bad. It locks, refuses to start most of time...
That's not true. It can be true that KOReader on your device works very bad, but your device is not the entire android!!!

Anyways there's only a reason for system locks:

- configuration changed somehow (changed sim, attach/deattach a pointer device, a change on the underlying hardware is notified by the framework, unknown samsung thingies related or not to Dex...)

Please check if you can reproduce the locks with a recent-ish release (any release after https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/6416, 5 days ago)

About refusing to start it is probably the visible result or a soft lock. The event thread dies after an unhandled configuration change.

The other thing that can make the program refusing to open is LuaJIT being killed by battery optimizations. I can only reproduce this on Android 10 and only if the system is under heavy load for a lot of time. In theory it could affect devices with older versions for some vendors. See https://dontkillmyapp.com

Anyways, whatever the reason that causes softlocks, it is easy to know getting an adb log. Feel free to open a ticket if you find a bug on latest nightly.

Remember that a bug report without logs is useless.

Quote Pajamaman
Koreader has some issues with the back button exiting. Pazos very kindly compiled a no back button version for me.
Thanks again for reporting and testing changes!. These changes are already available on latest releases so there's no need to use the APK I built. That was only meant to test if it worked.

#4  rfog 07-28-2020, 06:32 AM
Quote pazos
That's not true. It can be true that KOReader on your device works very bad, but your device is not the entire android!!!
In relation to this, the only thing I can say si:

Occam Razor has something to say here. It is an Android app, it is not a reverse-engineered app usign non-documented/modified kernels an libraries.

I don't want to enter in discussions about Open Source, freedom, collaboration, etc.. Fact is it does not work well.

BTW, I tried to find crash dumps or other log info to report but found nothing useful, then I uninstalled and removed user disk koreader folder.

As a final luser (read: luser, not user), I'm not going to mess with ADB, debug modes, etc.. I've returned the Poke 2 because I've purchased the Nova 2 (7,9 screen instead of 6, plus stylus). I will give a new try in my new device, but will discard KOReader if continue failing and I don't find an easy way to report issues.

#5  rfog 07-28-2020, 06:34 AM
Quote Pajamaman
Alreader and Koreader and Moonreader do it. Yeah, sucks neoreader doesn't do it. Koreader will even invert scanned pdf's. Koreader has some issues with the back button exiting. Pazos very kindly compiled a no back button version for me.
I haven't tried Alreader since a lot of time ago, and I have Moonreader purchased since ages. My big Moonreader complain is it skips parts of the book, or skipped last time I used it.

I will give some opportunity to those once I got my new Nova 2.

#6  Norbi24 07-28-2020, 07:00 AM
Quote rfog
Hmm, this is strange, I was having Koreader 2020.06 on Poke2 and it works perfectly fine, now I have just upgraded for 2020.07.01 and it seems to work also as expected ...

#7  JSWolf 07-28-2020, 07:02 AM
Quote rfog
[*]FBReader from FBReader org: works perfect
FBReader has never worked perfectly.

#8  rfog 07-28-2020, 07:36 AM
Quote JSWolf
FBReader has never worked perfectly.
Man, apart not respecting CSS (that I don't mind too much[*]), it worked fine to me.

When I write "perfect" I mean no autisms, no crashses, no strange things like "eat" text or similar things. I know sometimes it fails to synchronize reading positions, for example, but that is not the level of KOReader non-working.

[*] If I need "perfect" adjustment, I make a PDF.

#9  pazos 07-28-2020, 08:03 AM
Quote rfog
In relation to this, the only thing I can say si:

Occam Razor has something to say here. It is an Android app, it is not a reverse-engineered app usign non-documented/modified kernels an libraries.

I don't want to enter in discussions about Open Source, freedom, collaboration, etc.. Fact is it does not work well.

BTW, I tried to find crash dumps or other log info to report but found nothing useful, then I uninstalled and removed user disk koreader folder.

As a final luser (read: luser, not user), I'm not going to mess with ADB, debug modes, etc.. I've returned the Poke 2 because I've purchased the Nova 2 (7,9 screen instead of 6, plus stylus). I will give a new try in my new device, but will discard KOReader if continue failing and I don't find an easy way to report issues.
Be my guest and don't use a program that causes you problems. Bye

#10  Norbi24 07-28-2020, 08:19 AM
Quote rfog
[*]KOreader, last update from KOReader Release itself channel: important

I'd recommend that you find your perfect reader app and stop bothering the others with your general statements on how KOReader doesn't work. Don't think that someone will miss them

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register