Mobileread
rootable, backlit, physical buttons (is there a feature table?)
#1  ajoseph 07-24-2020, 11:39 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a rootable linux-based e-reader (including ROOTABLE android devices) with a backlight and physical page-turn buttons. 10" size would be ideal, but I'm flexible there. I have the Kindle Oasis 3 and really like the backlight for reading by the fireplace, just want a bigger screen and root access. Did I mention I need root access?

Is there a feature table somewhere that is kept up to date? I sorta figured I could just find some feature table like that and look for these three things (rootable, backlit, physical buttons). Sadly the largest retailer, amazon, seems happy to abuse their ability to make it difficult to comparison-shop. So sad.

#2  Sirtel 07-25-2020, 07:32 AM
Nook Glowlight Plus (2019) is 7.8'', based on Android and AFAIK rootable (I haven't tried, so you have to google for more detailed info). Kobo Forma is 8'', based on Linux and its OS is open to tinkerers and developers, so no need to root at all.

#3  ottischwenk 07-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Quote ajoseph
Hi, I'm looking for a rootable linux-based e-reader (including ROOTABLE android devices) with a backlight and physical page-turn buttons. 10" size would be ideal, but I'm flexible there.
Tablets have backlight. EInk devices have front light when light.

#4  ajoseph 07-31-2020, 05:44 PM
Quote Sirtel
Kobo Forma is 8'', based on Linux and its OS is open to tinkerers and developers, so no need to root at all.
Wow, this looks like exactly what I want. Even has a sleek form factor! Thanks so much, without your comment I never would've found this in the ocean of nearly-identical-but-rebranded readers out there.

#5  ajoseph 07-31-2020, 05:47 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Tablets have backlight. EInk devices have front light when light.
Picky picky.

This actually makes shopping EVEN MORE difficult, because some e-readers use the term "front light", some use the term "back light" since that's what most consumers think it is, and others (I'm looking at you, Kobo) invent their own silly proprietary name like "COMFORTlight" and don't use the term "back light" or "front light" anywhere in their product description, making themselves unsearchable. Way to go, guys.

And of course, searching for "light" is useless because every e-reader declares itself to be "light weight".

Alright, now I'm just going to go cry for a while.

#6  John F 07-31-2020, 06:16 PM
Quote ajoseph
Picky picky.

This actually makes shopping EVEN MORE difficult, because some e-readers use the term "front light", some use the term "back light" since that's what most consumers think it is, and others (I'm looking at you, Kobo) invent their own silly proprietary name like "COMFORTlight" and don't use the term "back light" or "front light" anywhere in their product description, making themselves unsearchable. Way to go, guys.

And of course, searching for "light" is useless because every e-reader declares itself to be "light weight".

Alright, now I'm just going to go cry for a while.
Who is using the term "back light"? I would guess it is a translation error?

#7  davidfor 07-31-2020, 10:13 PM
Quote ajoseph
Picky picky.

Forget about how the light is handled. Look at the screen. If it is e-ink, it must front-lit. E-ink screens do not let light pass through them. Everything else will probably be back-lit. And nobody would bother to mention this. Really, you should be specifying what sort of screen you want, and whether the light can change colour. Your original post suggests that you are after a device with an e-ink screen, but, it doesn't explicitly state it.

And just to be clear, not all ereaders use e-ink screens. There aren't many around now that aren't e-ink, but, there have been plenty of ereaders that used LCD screens. Tablets and smartphones have taken their place as they became more affordable.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register