Mobileread
looking for ereader
#1  dante11 07-15-2020, 06:06 AM
hi everyone! i am looking for a e reader-i am not fussy about brand or size so much-i have a learning disability, and as such a i have a couple of very specific needs from it....and i am new enough to being on line that i know i need some help with this.....
ok-first-i need it to show the book covers-even in the archived books, instead of listing titles. and second i need a button to turn pages-i could even make due with a ''enter'' type on the bottom of the screen-i just can't ''swipe''.
most of my books are in my files-i use a chromebook now-any type of aa e reader app doesn't connect to google drive-so if i need to powerwash it-i lose all the books i loaded to it.
i use a chromebook because they are easier for me to use. i have only been brave enough to try being online for a few years-i was too scared to try before...wasn't sure i could actually do it!
ok-so any help you can give me-i would really appreciate!
thanks everyone!

#2  JSWolf 07-15-2020, 07:16 AM
You can try to install Calibre on your Chromebook.

https://chromeunboxed.com/how-to-installing-calibre-e-book-manager-on-a-chromebook/

The problem comes that to get the most out of a Kobo Libra H2O (which is what I recommend), you will want to run Calibre to manage your eBooks. But one thing, you'll have to forget using cloud storage.

#3  shalym 07-15-2020, 10:24 AM
Quote JSWolf
You can try to install Calibre on your Chromebook.

https://chromeunboxed.com/how-to-installing-calibre-e-book-manager-on-a-chromebook/

The problem comes that to get the most out of a Kobo Libra H2O (which is what I recommend), you will want to run Calibre to manage your eBooks. But one thing, you'll have to forget using cloud storage.
Of course, the Kobo H2O doesn't have buttons, either, which is also listed as a must-have.

The Kobo Libra and Forma both have buttons, as does the Kindle Oasis. None of these will easily access your google drive, though. The Pocketbook models have buttons, but unfortunately also do not have a built-in way to access google drive. The Onyx models are Android based, so should have an easy way to access Google drive, and I believe that at least some (or maybe all) of them have buttons.

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in the US, anything but the Kobos or Kindle will be harder to get (not impossible, but more difficult). If you are in the US, there is also the Nook, which has buttons, but no access to google drive.

All of these will show book covers.

Hope this helps!

Shari

#4  JSWolf 07-15-2020, 11:16 AM
Quote shalym
Of course, the Kobo H2O doesn't have buttons, either, which is also listed as a must-have.

The Kobo Libra and Forma both have buttons, as does the Kindle Oasis. None of these will easily access your google drive, though. The Pocketbook models have buttons, but unfortunately also do not have a built-in way to access google drive. The Onyx models are Android based, so should have an easy way to access Google drive, and I believe that at least some (or maybe all) of them have buttons.

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in the US, anything but the Kobos or Kindle will be harder to get (not impossible, but more difficult). If you are in the US, there is also the Nook, which has buttons, but no access to google drive.

All of these will show book covers.

Hope this helps!

Shari
I'm not suggesting the Aura H2O. I'm suggesting the Kobo Libra H2O. That's the one with the buttons. The OP says buttons are a must have.

Kobo and Kindle also don't go Google Drive. Neither does Calibre. That's why eBooks stored on Google drive would have to be copied off and stored locally. The Calibre library could be stored on an external hard drive or USB memory stick.

#5  shalym 07-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Quote JSWolf
I'm not suggesting the Aura H2O. I'm suggesting the Kobo Libra H2O. That's the one with the buttons. The OP says buttons are a must have.

Kobo and Kindle also don't go Google Drive. Neither does Calibre. That's why eBooks stored on Google drive would have to be copied off and stored locally. The Calibre library could be stored on an external hard drive or USB memory stick.
Sorry Jon, you're right--I did miss the word "libra" from your reply. I did, however, point out in my post the fact that neither the Kobo nor the Kindle could access google drive.

Shari

#6  fathead 07-16-2020, 07:47 AM
The Pocketbook Touch HD3 (6inch screen) and Pocketbook Inkpad 3 (8inch screen) have Dropbox integration; it should be fairly easy to transfer books from Google Drive to Dropbox and thus to your device. It might seem a bit of a faff but would probably get easier and faster the more often you do it.

Both of these devices also have physical, multi-function buttons.

Kobo Forma also has Dropbox integration, 8 Inch screen and page turn buttons.

I've had a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 for a few months and like it a lot; its very light and comfortable to hold, the screen is gorgeous and the software competent. I also have Kobos and find the devices are sturdy and the software very smooth and intuitive.

#7  JSWolf 07-16-2020, 09:07 AM
Quote fathead
The Pocketbook Touch HD3 (6inch screen) and Pocketbook Inkpad 3 (8inch screen) have Dropbox integration; it should be fairly easy to transfer books from Google Drive to Dropbox and thus to your device. It might seem a bit of a faff but would probably get easier and faster the more often you do it.

I've had a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 for a few months and like it a lot; its very light and comfortable to hold, the screen is gorgeous and the software competent. I also have Kobos and find the devices are sturdy and the software very smooth and intuitive.
Not a good idea. Kobo is most recommended and that works best with Calibre. Sure you can do Dropbox with a Kobo Forma, but you lose collections and series.

#8  ZodWallop 07-16-2020, 12:36 PM
I have to make some guesses here. I'm assuming your books are ePub, because you are able to read them on your Chromebook. Also, I assume you are in the US.

If those are true, the Nook Glowlight 3, Nook Glowlight Plus, the Kobo Libra H2O and the Kobo Forma all have page turn buttons, handle ePub and are easily available in the US. They will all show you book covers as long as your books are formatted correctly.

For each reader I included links to a store selling them so you can research and see pictures.

#9  dante11 07-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Quote ZodWallop
I have to make some guesses here. I'm assuming your books are ePub, because you are able to read them on your Chromebook. Also, I assume you are in the US.

If those are true, the Nook Glowlight 3, Nook Glowlight Plus, the Kobo Libra H2O and the Kobo Forma all have page turn buttons, handle ePub and are easily available in the US. They will all show you book covers as long as your books are formatted correctly.

For each reader I included links to a store selling them so you can research and see pictures.
now-when i say show the book covers-i want to see all of them-not one at a time-even the archived ones ...these e readers do this?

#10  dante11 07-17-2020, 01:59 PM
Quote fathead

do these ones show all the book covers in the library?

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register