Mobileread
Any love for the Likebook Mars E-Reader 7.8?
#1  tmanwell 07-09-2020, 05:47 PM
So, I know it's an E-Reader, but it's also an Android device, so I'm posting the question here.

I'm looking for something E-ink based that runs Android so that I can (a) have the light weight, long batt life, and positive outdoor reading experience of an E-reader, but also (b) the ability to access Hoopla Digital... which straight E-readers like Kindle etc. can't do. I know the new Boox Poke 2 is pretty hot, but I prefer a bigger screen. I also prefer something I can get from Amazon, so I can return it if I don't like it.

So, would love to hear some thoughts on the Likebook Mars E-reader, and/or suggested alternatives (but still within that $220 or less price range).

Thanks.

T.

#2  airbus02 07-18-2020, 03:17 PM
I have the Mars and have been happy with it. I use it both for reading indoors and out and for writing/editing when I'm outdoors. It's not perfectf for word processing, mostly because there's a bit of lag with e-ink's refresh rate. Still, it's good enough. I use it for writing 4-5 times/week. The other downside is that when you do use the Mars as a tablet, the battery life is very poor {maybe 3 hours at best} if you have google apps enabled. If I'm writing, I do it in Google Docs, so I live with the substandard battery life. fwiw, i find it hard to write outdoors for more than an hour at a time anyway. If I'm going to be away from an outlet, I just bring along a battery extender with a micro usb connection. I do notice that greyscale screens and being away from an internet connection do make it easier to focus on one task at a time.

#3  fduniho 09-18-2020, 03:23 PM
The Likebook Mars is a fine device. I got one around the time they first came out, and I use it regularly. The more expensive alternatives mainly offer larger screens or note taking ability. If you don't need those, then the Likebook Mars is a good, affordable choice. Unlike the Onyx devices, it has an audio port and a micro SD card slot.

I cannot comment on whether it works with Hoopla, though. I would assume it does, but since my library does not use Hoopla, I have not had any occasion to use it. It does work with Overdrive and Libby.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register