Mobileread
Booktube
#11  Loosheesh 06-25-2020, 06:40 PM
I used to follow a number of Booktube channels but I eventually unsubscribed from all of them except for Climb the Stacks; even during times when she didn't post anything for months I held on because I simply love this channel. Her reading tastes are not similar to mine but I like her thoughts on the reading life in general and I hope to (someday) read some of the books she reviews.

#12  barryem 06-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Quote haydnfan
Also they are usually too young and inexperienced to have any interesting insights.
I realize you're talking about BookTubers and I don't single those out for watching but I do search Youtube for reviews on books I'm interested in and I find more young reviewers than old ones. Some of them are very good, in my experience. Offhand I'd say you're right that the older reviewers are better but I've been pretty impressed by the ideas and observations of a lot of the younger reviewers as well. And since there are more of them, a lot more, it just might be that there are more good young reviewers than old, even though the best reviewers do tend to be older.

I think it's more true that the younger reviewers are less able to make a smooth video than older ones. They tend to be a bit more choppy in their editing and I think they do that on purpose because the choppiness is pretty consistent. I'm pretty sure they work at that.

Still I think a lot of them do a good enough job analyzing the value of the book to them that it's worth accepting the rougher presentation.

By the way, lest anyone think i'm biased, I'll turn 80 in November.

Barry

#13  Luffy 06-26-2020, 06:31 AM
Time goes fast. It seems that you were saying you were 76 only a short while back.

Edit not sarcasm.

#14  barryem 06-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Quote Luffy
Time goes fast. It seems that you were saying you were 76 only a short while back.

Edit not sarcasm.
I used to be 76. That was three years ago. Actually I've been quite a lot of ages.

I won't deny there might be a bit of sarcasm there but it's still true.

Barry

#15  Thasaidon 06-26-2020, 09:53 PM
As a relative youngster of 71, perhaps we should be made to add "Old Fart" or "Old Curmudgeon" or both to our signatures.

#16  barryem 06-27-2020, 08:53 PM
Some time back I saw someone, probably on youtube, explaining that the government had done a statistical analysis to find factors that correlate with living longer, and that they'd discovered the secret to a long life is birthdays. The more birthdays you have the longer you live. It's a fact!

Barry

#17  Gardenman 06-27-2020, 10:28 PM
Quote barryem
Some time back I saw someone, probably on youtube, explaining that the government had done a statistical analysis to find factors that correlate with living longer, and that they'd discovered the secret to a long life is birthdays. The more birthdays you have the longer you live. It's a fact!

Barry
That sounds like something the government really would do.

#18  kyrilson 07-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Quote Paperbackstash
Does anyone watch any Booktube channels? I found out I enjoyed Mike's Book Reviews when I usually wasn't into channels I've tried. They seem dominated by YA, which I am not that interested in. Anyone have any recommendations for their favorites if they have someone they watch regularly?
Mike's Book Reviews is the only one I watch regularly. I used to watch a few others, but his channel is by far my favorite. He's a very good reviewer and I really enjoy his channel. I think it's because he reads a lot of the same books I do, but he also does a really good job of just making the viewer feel comfortable listening to him and he explains very well why he likes or dislikes something, why you should check out a book or series, etc. He's very personable and it's a really good experience. His enthusiasm is just so great to watch. Fantastic channel. He has had Jim Butcher himself watch and compliment his channel, if that's any indication of the quality. I highly recommend his channel if you're at all interested in fantasy/sf books.

I used to watch A Common Touch of Fantasy, but the owner seems to have moved away from that and is doing more esoteric reviewing and other types of videos now, so I haven't been watching his videos as much.

Daniel Greene used to be a must watch, but I don't like his recent output as much anymore, and as someone else mentioned, he comes across very arrogant and I dislike his tone and style. Not for me.

#19  Paperbackstash 07-03-2020, 05:07 PM
Quote kyrilson
Mike's Book Reviews is the only one I watch regularly. I used to watch a few others, but his channel is by far my favorite. He's a very good reviewer and I really enjoy his channel. I think it's because he reads a lot of the same books I do, but he also does a really good job of just making the viewer feel comfortable listening to him and he explains very well why he likes or dislikes something, why you should check out a book or series, etc. He's very personable and it's a really good experience. His enthusiasm is just so great to watch. Fantastic channel. He has had Jim Butcher himself watch and compliment his channel, if that's any indication of the quality. I highly recommend his channel if you're at all interested in fantasy/sf books.

I used to watch A Common Touch of Fantasy, but the owner seems to have moved away from that and is doing more esoteric reviewing and other types of videos now, so I haven't been watching his videos as much.

Daniel Greene used to be a must watch, but I don't like his recent output as much anymore, and as someone else mentioned, he comes across very arrogant and I dislike his tone and style. Not for me.
You all have me curious to try Daniel Greene just to see his arrogance for a minute, lol

I don't read nearly as much high fantasy that Mike does, and I haven't read any Wheel of Time, which he features quite a bit, or the Dresden books ( I read two years ago), so I mainly watch his feature videos, Stephen King videos, or random. His Michael Crichton video was excellent and reminded me I need to get back into this author again.

#20  Paperbackstash 07-03-2020, 05:16 PM
I've found a Youtuber that I love watching just because he cracks me up, not intentionally. Books are my social life

I have no idea of the books he mentions but he is into diversity and books I have not heard of. He will randomly start awkwardly sweating in a video, or one time he tried to do a video outside his house and then thought for a minute and said his neighborhood is a bit too ghetto. Then he accidentally stopped in front a of a bright orange house. Then he was trying again and these loud pigeons came by and started overshadowing his dialogue.

Another video he was into in his room this random flying thing entered his room and started bugging him. Another one the neighbors dogs kept barking. I just keep cracking up because I see so many "perfect" youtube videos where people are gorgeous, have clean and pretty houses, stunning outdoor scenery --- and you get this guy who has my kind of luck.

He does have good insights into diversity and the Caribbean, so some of his discussion videos are especially interesting.

The one with the outdoors and the birds is a fun place to start. He planned to do a 7 day readathon for reading rush and then kept not getting around to reading the books half the time, again more realistic with how it goes with me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gkcXFQliKk

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register