Mobileread
Best Likebook Mars epub reader + translation dictionary combination?
#1  TimA 05-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Hi, long time visitor, first time poster...

Does anyone have any recommendation for the following usage:
I have a Likebook Mars, which I generally use with Moon+ Reader Pro. I am trying to improve my Spanish by reading in that language, making frequent use of a translation dictionary and also a translation of that book in English as a separate book.

Moon+ Reader Pro is a decent app for reading, although it has some odd behaviors when it comes to handling its library and setting default dictionaries.

The translation dictionary I have so far found to be "best" is Quickdic. I put "best" in quotes because, while fast-ish and comprehensive, it is still not very good - too may presses to get to the entry I want and, worse, I cannot get Quickdic to default to Spanish->English and have to switch from English-Spanish with every lookup. My favorite dictionary by far is by Word Magic, but it doesn't work with Moon+ Reader.

For what it's worth, there is an app in the Google Play Store which supposedly lets you see two books side-by-side. This would be very useful too, except that I can't make it work.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd love to use the Linguee dictionary app, but unfortunately it is barely legible on my Mars and I can see no way to change the default fonts.

#2  ottischwenk 05-31-2020, 09:14 AM
Quote TimA
For what it's worth, there is an app in the Google Play Store which supposedly lets you see two books side-by-side. This would be very useful too, except that I can't make it work.
Which app is it?

#3  bazz2004 05-31-2020, 10:37 AM
It's easy to be too ambitious with these e-readers. You've got a reading app you like and have some dictionaries working. Most of them are free. The time's better spent on the Spanish.

#4  bazz2004 05-31-2020, 12:01 PM
The iPad has an app called Parallel Books but there's not a lot in the store - mainly classics.

#5  TimA 05-31-2020, 01:38 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Which app is it?
Oops, sorry, it's called "Bilingual Book Reader", by WordConqueror.

#6  TimA 05-31-2020, 01:41 PM
Quote bazz2004
It's easy to be too ambitious with these e-readers. You've got a reading app you like and have some dictionaries working. Most of them are free. The time's better spent on the Spanish.
Sure, and that's what I'm doing, but I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to software and wondered if anyone out there has any better ideas. I don't mind spending money for the right combo.

#7  TimA 05-31-2020, 01:45 PM
Quote bazz2004
The iPad has an app called Parallel Books but there's not a lot in the store - mainly classics.
Yes, I and I have an iPad, but prefer to do my reading on my Mars.

Despite what I wrote, I'm not really interested in parallel text reading. I read a few paragraphs/pages in Spanish, checking the occasional new word in the dictionary, then check my comprehension in the translation. With both books side-by-side I suspect I'd be lazier with the Spanish and I don't want to do that.

#8  bazz2004 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM
"I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to software" TimA.
Yes I'm the same and get pretty upset when stuff is not working or buggy. In hindsight I should never have bought the Alita. It's a geek's dream device. I doubt that the right device or software is out there at any price.

#9  guest 06-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Many reader apps have Share option.
Many dictionaries can display translation after using them for sharing.
I use:
- Cool Reader (I've changed sources. One of reasons - it's Share feature in the original adds for example book title, which isn't desired for sharing with a dictionary)
- Vox Dictionary (Spanish only. They do have English-Spanish)
- Andmade Share - used for disabling additional share dialog and forwarding sharing directly from Cool Reader to Vox Dictionary.

#10  TimA 06-01-2020, 09:44 PM
Quote guest
Many reader apps have Share option.
Many dictionaries can display translation after using them for sharing.
I use:
- Cool Reader (I've changed sources. One of reasons - it's Share feature in the original adds for example book title, which isn't desired for sharing with a dictionary)
- Vox Dictionary (Spanish only. They do have English-Spanish)
- Andmade Share - used for disabling additional share dialog and forwarding sharing directly from Cool Reader to Vox Dictionary.
Thank you for this, which sent me down quite the rabbit hole, exploring loading non-playstore apps (Andmade share isn't there, and going further is too complicated for me, so I gave up) and trying to figure out Cool Reader (why don't developers provide user manuals any more?) until I figured out how to share from it but quit when I realized I'd have to edit the code as you did and have no idea how. I will maybe try again later but right now I am exhausted.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register