Mobileread
Why no Android updates?
#11  pazos 05-28-2020, 09:45 AM
Quote ottischwenk
You're kidding, aren't you?
Do you really think, these samples are all?
And this page is correct?
The page is correct but no complete as some little companies are just resellers and the certification is driven by the ODM/OEM.

The full list of certified devices is in
https://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html

It takes time to load. It's better to download it with
Code
 wget https://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html
and open it in a good text editor

Quote ottischwenk
There I can read Hisense, Huawei aso, but not Alcatel, Boyue and a lot of others
Code
cat supported_devices.html |*grep alcatel <td>alcatel_5098O</td> <td>alcatel 1T7 4G</td> <td>alcatel 1T7 4G</td> <td>alcatel 1T7 4G</td> <td>alcatel 1T7 4G</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 1X</td> <td>alcatel 3T8</td> <td>alcatel PIXI 4 (5.5)</td> <td>alcatel PIXI 4 (5.5)</td> <td>alcatel PIXI 4 (5.5)</td> <td>alcatel U5</td> <td>alcatel U5</td> <td>alcatel U5</td> <td>alcatel U5</td> <td>alcatel U5</td>
Quote ottischwenk
How stupid do you have to be?
I think you are starting to understand how annoying is an answer started with blablabla. That's good. Please don't do it. Thanks!

#12  bazz2004 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM
"BlaBlaBlabla.
I haven't read all the nonsense, but I want to refute these false rumors." - ottischwenk

No false rumours being reported. Due to the lack of any useful info on the forum I looked to a source that seemed authoritative, tried to make some deductions then asked if my conclusions were correct. The lack of information does Boyue no favours.

Most of us want to buy an e-reader and just get on with using it. Slogging it out long term with the device then finding little help from the manufacturer or on a dedicated forum is not great. Here's another thought to conjure with but please first engage the imagination and control the blood pressure. At last the anticipated Android update arrives (maybe even this year) and our favoured apps throw up a load of issues. I'd be really upset if Librera was adversely affected.

Anyway thanks for the replies which I will mull over.

#13  ottischwenk 05-28-2020, 11:32 AM
I asked Boyue:
i own Likebook Ares and Likebook Alita.
When will update to Android 8 come?

Regards,
and got the following answer:
under planning, when ready, we will release it to market
maybe after July for note model.

thank you for your attention

#14  Pajamaman 05-28-2020, 03:12 PM
I don't think Onyx update Android on their devices. Play store was not active on Poke Pro (Android 6). It can be activated with an option on the Nova 1. Don't know if that's related. But IME don't expect a device to be upgraded to a later version of Android, at least with Onyx. But there are so many apps compatible, and you can get some as apks and not go through play store.

On a side note, I don't know why some people need the latest Android like 9. What is it that Android 6 will not support? Just curious.

#15  ottischwenk 05-29-2020, 12:32 AM
Quote Pajamaman
On a side note, I don't know why some people need the latest Android like 9. What is it that Android 6 will not support? Just curious.
I have the feeling that Android 9 can be more economical with power consumption than Android 6.
It's just a feeling, but I have Boox Poke2 (Android 9) and Poke Pro (Android 6).
The Poke2 has a stronger processor and half the battery - but both last for the app. same amount of time.

#16  bazz2004 05-29-2020, 02:46 AM
"On a side note, I don't know why some people need the latest Android like 9. What is it that Android 6 will not support? Just curious." - Pajamaman

Now that is an important question. I've tended to favour computers for most jobs and have found that there is a split between those who think everything Microsoft do is bad and that all progress must be resisted (they stick with XP or Windows 7 and then get swamped by issues which they lack the know-how to deal with) vis à vis the users who keep up to speed.

Security is a major issue with computers and iPads and has to be taken seriously. Now my interest so far in smart phones is close to zero but these phones are regularly updated to new versions of Android. If they can't be then it's time to get a new one. Chrome books are so designed that they are always up to date.

That brings us to these strange devices that run old versions of Android. It flies against instinct to stay with old versions of an OS. They may be needed for compatibility issues with old programs or apps but on a PC you can stay safe using them in a virtual OS.

While an e-reader may seem to be irrelevant with regard to security these devices can be used for surfing and buying stuff online. I'd not want to use them for any internet transaction - even for buying apps in the Playstore.

#17  mitra1 05-30-2020, 06:23 AM
I have another reason, the app teams is officially supported from android 7.0, and i have to use often because i must share screen with notes in real time.
So i want an update first possibly.

#18  mitra1 06-11-2020, 03:00 PM
For me would be good if there's split screen to copy text by browser in notepad

#19  bazz2004 07-27-2020, 04:18 AM
Growing differences between the West and China are making it hard to see how the makers of devices like e-readers produced in China can move forward with Android updates. They also flag up security concerns - eg Huawei. Although China based manufacturers have the advantages in terms of hardware they are way behind in software development. Updates to devices like the Alita have been glacial and deadlines are not met. I'm wondering if Boyue and others will develop their own OS to be able to maintain sales in the West. I found buying an Alita difficult and that was a year ago.

#20  ottischwenk 09-16-2020, 01:22 PM
On my question:
Android 8.1 is available for Likebook Mars - when will it be available for Ares or Alita?
I got the answer from likebook@boyue.com:
Will around October, and you also can focus on our facebook @BoyueLikebook for updated news
So this will take a while.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register