Mobileread
Requests to enable Private Messages
#11  Zero_Ego 05-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Thanks you pdurrant.

I will keep a keen eye on your book list and ratings. So cool dat!

#12  pdurrant 05-26-2019, 04:16 PM
Quote Zero_Ego
Thanks you pdurrant.

I will keep a keen eye on your book list and ratings. So cool dat!
You're welcome to join in the challenge thread for 2019. Just set yourself a target for the rest of the year.

#13  crich70 05-31-2019, 08:54 AM
Quote pdurrant
New members are restricted because of spammers. Before this policy, spammers would join and spam via Private Messages which moderators don't see.
When was that started? It sounds like a good idea overall. Would that it was so easy to keep spammers from the main boards.

#14  pdurrant 06-03-2019, 04:37 AM
Quote crich70
When was that started? It sounds like a good idea overall. Would that it was so easy to keep spammers from the main boards.
More than a year ago, I think.

#15  theducks 06-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Quote pdurrant
More than a year ago, I think.
I do believe an in between mode is needed.
I (as a long time user) can't send a PM to a new user because they are locked out.
I think the should be able to RECEIVE and reply (ONLY). No originate or CC adding allowed until their qualifying period/activity has elapsed.

#16  pdurrant 06-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Quote theducks
I do believe an in between mode is needed.
I (as a long time user) can't send a PM to a new user because they are locked out.
I think the should be able to RECEIVE and reply (ONLY). No originate or CC adding allowed until their qualifying period/activity has elapsed.
While that would be nice, I don't think the forum software supports it.

#17  theducks 06-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Quote pdurrant
While that would be nice, I don't think the forum software supports it.
Yes. We need someone with the foresight of Kovid to write decent USER oriented forum software.

#18  BetterRed 06-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Shortly after joining the forum I read a move to a different package was planned - Xenforo I think.

“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.” - Burns

BR

#19  lumpynose 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Quote BetterRed
Shortly after joining the forum I read a move to a different package was planned - Xenforo I think.

“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.” - Burns

BR
I would guess that transferring the existing database to the Xenforo one would be "non-trivial" as they say.

And Xenforo is yet another PHP + MySQL setup, both of which I despise. I've never surveyed the field but I'd think that Python and PostgreSQL might be a viable choice.

On the other hand these vBulletin forums are ubiquitous so the design can't be as bad as I'd like to think it is.

#20  Zdre_Wulf 06-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Hello Pdurrant, may I request enabling private message please? I need it in order to save my ebook reader, thanks a lot!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/45)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register