Mobileread
Boyue JDRead Venus
#1  Hrafn 09-25-2017, 10:13 PM
I notice that Boyue have a new reader up on their website:

The JDRead Venus. It looks like a T63 in a slimmer chassis:

158.5 x 111 x 6.5mm 184g cf the T63 at 159.5 x 118 x 8 mm 190g

#2  khalleron 09-28-2017, 01:39 PM
I don't read Chinese, but the numbers in the specs imply it runs Android 4.4.2 - can you confirm?

I really want an e-ink tablet with Android 4.4 so I can check out books via Hoopla.

#3  Hrafn 09-28-2017, 08:59 PM
Quote khalleron
I don't read Chinese, but the numbers in the specs imply it runs Android 4.4.2 - can you confirm?
Google translate of the relevant (bitmapped) text comes up as "System: 'Andrews' 4.4.2 System" on my tablet. I think it is fairly safe to assume that "Andrews" is what Google is translating "Android" as. Less safe is any assumption that a more-than-half-baked English firmware will be available. The JDRead in the name means that it's being aimed at the Chinese market, and it is likely to face similar problems to the T63 in this respect (you might wish to read the tail end of that device's thread).

#4  khalleron 09-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Another site specifies that you can't add apps to this device (!) which makes it pointless anyway.

It does give me hope that there might be some eink tablets with better than Android 4.2 coming online soon.

#5  downeaster59 09-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Quote khalleron
Another site specifies that you can't add apps to this device (!) which makes it pointless anyway.

It does give me hope that there might be some eink tablets with better than Android 4.2 coming online soon.
As for not being able to add apps, that could simply mean that Google Play Store isn't installed. You could probably sideload apps, or root the device and install Play Store. (Of course, it might help if the Venus had English as a language option!)

I'd love to see an eInk eReader with a newer version of Android. To be honest, I have my doubts about the Venus really being 4.4.2. I suspect it's 4.2.2, like other Boyue devices. (I wouldn't mind being wrong about this, BTW!)

#6  Hrafn 09-29-2017, 10:14 PM
I think khalleron may be referring to this Good E-Reader review from back in June (it would appear that the Venus has been out for quite some time).

There is also an attached video review here (which also refers to the Venus as the T65HD) which may provide more info.

Older video of a "pre-production sample".

#7  downeaster59 09-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Quote Hrafn
I think khalleron may be referring to this Good E-Reader review from back in June (it would appear that the Venus has been out for quite some time).

There is also an attached video review here (which also refers to the Venus as the T65HD) which may provide more info.

Older video of a "pre-production sample".
Ah, thank you! That is helpful. If the Venus does indeed run 4.4.2, that would make it more enticing - even more if it had English as a language option!

Booxtor, at ereader-store.de, says that they're working on a 4.4 upgrade for the K-Pro. I wonder how that will turn out. From what he said to me in an email, the upgrade should be available soon.

#8  Hrafn 09-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Quote downeaster59
Booxtor, at ereader-store.de, says that they're working on a 4.4 upgrade for the K-Pro. I wonder how that will turn out. From what he said to me in an email, the upgrade should be available soon.
I would definitely rate the probability of 4.4 on the K-Pro considerably higher than the probability of stable English on Boyue JDRead models.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register