Mobileread
Likebook Mars Screen Discoloration
#1  junoctal 08-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Hi all, new member here.

My Likebook Mars, which is almost two years old, has recently started to show a yellowish frame about an index finger wide around the entire screen edges. It is visible even when it is off. It is not a screen refresh issue, factory reset does not help. It is vissible in any app. Only when using the orange night colors it is not visible, but I suspect this is due to the orange color masking the yellow rather than anything else.

The retailer has offered to take a look it, but the shipping cost is high, so I would like to make sure that there are no other options, or that I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone here who is familiar with the problem? I'm attaching a picture where it is somewhat visible, in reality it is a lot more clear.

Thx

noob problem, image not displalying. Trying to attach URL instead

#2  Techbar 08-16-2020, 08:54 PM
My one year old Mars has the same thing although a bit lighter in colour than yours.

#3  junoctal 08-17-2020, 02:53 AM
Quote Techbar
My one year old Mars has the same thing although a bit lighter in colour than yours.
OK, sad to hear that, but thank you,

#4  joandr 08-17-2020, 08:04 AM
mine also, a year after the purchase, yellowing, yellow border especially

#5  Jinz 08-28-2020, 03:07 AM
Yes have wondered about this too. Air seeping in at the sides and oxidizing something?

#6  metafractal 08-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Another Mars owner here confirming this problem. It seems to have come on quite suddenly and is getting worse by the day. Can anything be done?

#7  edent 09-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Same thing is happening on my Boyue Likebook Ares - see photos:
image »
image »

Had this less than a year. The yellow is extremely visible in direct sunlight - but less so at night, or in a darker room.

I usually keep the LEDs on all the time, so I wonder if the screen or filter has been cooked?

#8  Morioh 09-14-2020, 10:40 AM
That's awful. Looks like a boyue has seriously faulty hardware .

#9  MustardOrMayo 09-14-2020, 10:21 PM
While I've not experienced similar issues on my Mimas and Muses, I want to say that it could be an issue with the lighting and/or touch layers, and/or the adhesive holding any of the display layers together, as I've seen similar issues with older TFT LCD panels.

I know there's at least one seller on AliExpress selling replacement display assemblies for the Mars (likely as surplus from manufacturing), but it's a little expensive, around $200-300. (EDIT: it's sold out, but the seller name is "HuaTaiJia")

#10  Jinz 09-18-2020, 08:05 AM
I don't think it's related to the lighting, I've barely used mine. The issue is only cosmetic for now, not really worth worrying over. I think thats air seeping into the unsealed display at the sides and oxidzing the white layer.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register