Mobileread
attribute "span" not
#1  paulpeer 03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I've made an ePub book with Sigil, and ePubValidator (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/) gives this error:

ERROR: Origino de specioj.epub/OEBPS/Text/content022.xhtml(94): attribute "span" not allowed at this point

I cannot find anything wrong. Does someone know how to interpret the number (94) behind the page name? I thought it might be the 94th line, but the 94th line from Sigils point of view is empty. 94th character in the file doesn't make sence either ...

#2  Valloric 03-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Without the epub file in question, helping you is impossible.

#3  KevinH 03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote paulpeer
I've made an ePub book with Sigil, and ePubValidator (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/) gives this error:

ERROR: Origino de specioj.epub/OEBPS/Text/content022.xhtml(94): attribute "span" not allowed at this point

I cannot find anything wrong. Does someone know how to interpret the number (94) behind the page name? I thought it might be the 94th line, but the 94th line from Sigils point of view is empty. 94th character in the file doesn't make sence either ...
FWIW, I have received a similar error once and it was because < span > is an inline element by default and I had used a < span > tag that was NOT inside a block level tag. It was only inside the < body > tag.

Once I placed it within a block level tag (like a <p > < /p > tag set) that error message went away for me.

But the error messages from epubcheck are so vague I have no idea if you are having the same issue or not.

#4  paulpeer 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote KevinH
FWIW, I have received a similar error once and it was because < span > is an inline element by default and I had used a < span > tag that was NOT inside a block level tag. It was only inside the < body > tag.
Thanks for trying, Kevin, but no, I've just checked: every < span > element is within a <p > element ...

#5  paulpeer 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote Valloric
Without the epub file in question, helping you is impossible.
Thanks for the suggestion, Valloric, but publishing it here could give problems with copyright. Can I send it somehow privately?

#6  pdurrant 03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote paulpeer

I cannot find anything wrong. Does someone know how to interpret the number (94) behind the page name?
It's the 94th line. But not the 94th line in Sigil, but the 94th line in the source file content022.xhtml, where lines are delimited by CR/LF or CR or LF.

#7  Valloric 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Quote paulpeer
Thanks for the suggestion, Valloric, but publishing it here could give problems with copyright. Can I send it somehow privately?
Create an issue on the tracker and use the "Private" label. Only you and I will be able to see it. More details on this wiki page.

#8  paulpeer 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote pdurrant
It's the 94th line. But not the 94th line in Sigil, but the 94th line in the source file content022.xhtml, where lines are delimited by CR/LF or CR or LF.
Thanks. I thought both were the same, but there is indeed a slight difference in counting. The 94th line in the source is the 103rd line in Sigil.

But the bad news is, that the 94th line is a blank line between two paragraphs ...

So a start supposing that EPUBValidator is getting crazy ...

#9  DaleDe 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Often an error turns up because of a lack of something. This results in a display like you are seeing. Perhaps there should have been a </span> before the point in the file or it is not well nested.

#10  paulpeer 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I found it!!! But the problem was not in line 94, but several paragraphs before that ... Thanks to all who tried thinking with me!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register