Mobileread
New 6.8" GoodEreader/Netronix Device
#41  therty 07-13-2018, 02:00 AM
Quote DopeGhoti
I don't have the wherewithal to do anything resembling a proper review, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

I haven't had any problems with mine and I've been using it pretty heavily (mainly for notetaking) since it came in. The stylus remains very nicely responsive, the backlight is comparable to that of a Kindle Paperwhite. The built-in tools (ebook readers, notetaking/drawing) are pretty good, but the Android infrastructure is somewhat lacking.

It's only running Android 4.4.2 which is, put mildly, very very old. I would not call any Android apps anything resembling "fast" or "snappy". The only PDF reading software is by way of Android apps; there is nothing built-in for them.

The closest things I have to a complaint are the lack of a "left-handed" mode, and that there does not seem to be away to adjust the intensity of the backlight without drilling into the Settings menu/app.

As you mentioned, the Play Store will not function, but you can sideload any .apk that you care to. The Amazon Android App store provides them, and there are many other sources for application files that you can sideload. It also comes with a "good e-reader eInk app store" that I have not looked too deeply into yet.
Any app recommendations? The wikipedia app is quite good, but I havent played with much else. I added the swype keyboard, but it isn't great - there is probably a better option...

#42  DopeGhoti 07-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Quote therty
Any app recommendations? The wikipedia app is quite good, but I havent played with much else. I added the swype keyboard, but it isn't great - there is probably a better option...
I haven't tried to load it on the device as I haven't found a stand-alone APK yet, but I'd like to try the new stock Android keyboard ("gboard"). Squid might be a decent Android-side note-taker but I'd just as soon use the built-in one; it's probably be more responsive. I was thinking Google Keep would be good but it depends on your use-case for it, I suppose.

For my part, it's interesting that for a device for which such ballyhoo was made over its Android capability, I am mainly using the built-in firmware apps 90% of the time.

#43  therty 07-20-2018, 01:32 AM
Quote DopeGhoti
I haven't tried to load it on the device as I haven't found a stand-alone APK yet, but I'd like to try the new stock Android keyboard ("gboard"). Squid might be a decent Android-side note-taker but I'd just as soon use the built-in one; it's probably be more responsive. I was thinking Google Keep would be good but it depends on your use-case for it, I suppose.

For my part, it's interesting that for a device for which such ballyhoo was made over its Android capability, I am mainly using the built-in firmware apps 90% of the time.
I would say at this point I'm using built in apps closer to 99% of the time! (Though that's the reason I bought it...)

#44  king76 01-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Hello guys,

Quote DopeGhoti
It arrived! And actually works as described! The display has near-to-zero lag on it when writing which is a very pleasant surprise, and when I jot notes down they're actually just about as legible as when I smear pigment on dead trees.
Are you sure !? I received mine today and i am very disappointed, it's too slow for me ;-(

#45  Question Mark 01-08-2019, 10:56 PM
Quote king76
I received mine today and i am very disappointed, it's too slow for me ;-(
I'm curious. Did you buy your device new from their web store, or were you a long waiting backer from their Indiegogo campaign?

#46  king76 01-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Quote Question Mark
I'm curious. Did you buy your device new from their web store, or were you a long waiting backer from their Indiegogo campaign?
From store, the 31 december.

This is message from Good e-reader support :

I'm sorry, but there are no refunds on open products as it says on our terms and conditions.
you do however have a one-year manufacturer's warranty on this item :-)

It's legal??

#47  Question Mark 01-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Quote king76

This is message from Good e-reader support :

I'm sorry, but there are no refunds on open products as it says on our terms and conditions.
you do however have a one-year manufacturer's warranty on this item :-)

It's legal??
Not sure whether it is legal or not. However, assuming you paid via a credit card, you may want to see if they offer you some kind of grace period when making such purchases. Also, if the device does not live up to its marketing, you may be able to get your money back through your credit card.

But best to get in touch with the credit card company sooner rather than later as such consumer protectionist policies, if they provide such coverage, usually have a timeline from the date of purchase/receipt of the device.

My guess, however, is that you may be out of luck. That's why many people prefer to purchase such devices through Amazon, Best Buy or other such stores.

#48  king76 01-09-2019, 10:45 PM
I may be too picky about the expectations of such a product. I did not think it should have been written softly for it to work.

#49  Lord Byron 01-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Hi King76:

I'm curious (as I'm looking at this device myself)

Here is the youtube vid after the firmware update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgTf72xjh9s

Around 1:05 Peter is demonstrating the note app and the pen does appear faster than the their intial video demonstration pre-firmware.

Is your device slower than this with the update?

2nd question: "I did not think it should have been written softly for it to work."

I'm not quite following what you're saying. Wouldn't fret too much if you still have buyers remorse King76. I imagine u can sell it here or ebay (granted there really isn't anything wrong w/ur device) without losing too much $... These purchases are always gambles.

#50  king76 01-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Hello Lord,

(Sorry for my bad english, google translate is my friend)

I finally got used to it and found the right speed to write. There is a small gap when I write, the text appears a little below the stylus of times.

The store is unusable, Google chrome does not launch, it is necessary to use the basic version of ES explorer but especially not to update. DropBox works but not Drive, etc.

Also, you can not move pages in notes :-(

I can make you video if you want to see the writing

Bye

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (5/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register