Mobileread
Boox Nova Pro - initial thoughts and some questions
#11  Guns4Hire 12-25-2019, 11:03 AM
I don't know what you mean by producer. Pocketbook I guess was an exception then.

#12  Pajamaman 12-25-2019, 01:33 PM
FYI The Nook can be rooted and you can install a launcher and run apps. But it will never be the Android tablet that Onyx is. Much lower specs. Also it is only Android 4.4. But it has the nicest screen for reading, and is cheaper.

FWIW IMO nothing can beat an Onyx as an Android tablet. Best quality, though they have their issues, like all these device types.

#13  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Tell, what happened.
No producer will perform, what you wanted.

During warranty most tablet makers will repair or swap without much hassle. Out of warranty repairs on tablets is a real crap shoot regardless of manufacturer these days.
But Boyue should be providing at minimum a website with help, FAQs and so forth in the language of the markets they sell to. They don’t!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#14  ottischwenk 12-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Quote Lparsons21
During warranty most tablet makers will repair or swap without much hassle. Out of warranty repairs on tablets is a real crap shoot regardless of manufacturer these days.
Repair a broken 7.8" screen - the repair in China will cost more than a new Likebook Mars.
But Boyue should be providing at minimum a website with help, FAQs and so forth in the language of the markets they sell to. They don’t!
And whats the difference to Onyx?
I dont know a website with help, FAQs and so forth in the language of the markets they sell to (eg. German).
When contacting the store, where I bought my Likebook devices I got answers.
When contacting the store, where I bought my Onyx devices - nope.

#15  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 02:50 PM
A little cogitating!!

I’ve decided that I will keep my Oasis (2017) as it works so well and is very small so it fits a pocket really easy. Best for when I have to go to the Doctor’s office.

The Nook Glowlight Plus will go back. Performance is very good but no better than the Nova Pro, but it has limited storage compared to the Nova Pro and the screens for reading on both are close enough that it isn’t an issue.

The Nova Pro will become my ‘go to’ ereader device as it performs better than the Mars and Glowlight Plus and is much more versatile. Be interesting to see how well it does with Android 9 when it comes out for it. I would like to see some work on the overall UI as I find it not as good as Boyue does with their e-ink tablets, but nothing that is a show stopper.

#16  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Repair a broken 7.8" screen - the repair in China will cost more than a new Likebook Mars.And whats the difference to Onyx?

I dont know a website with help, FAQs and so forth in the language of the markets they sell to (eg. German).

When contacting the store, where I bought my Likebook devices I got answers.

When contacting the store, where I bought my Onyx devices - nope.
Yeah, after warranty repair on sub-$500 devices probably wouldn’t be worth getting done. I’m kind of used to the no after warranty repair as I have a Google Pixelbook and they don’t repair them and parts are pretty much not available.

I hadn’t looked at German support from Onyx, mostly because I’m in the US and they do have web support for us. It is a shame that in Germany you have to depend on a store for support as that is generally not so good.

#17  ottischwenk 12-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Quote Lparsons21
because I’m in the US and they do have web support for us.
Please give me the Link.

#18  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 03:39 PM
http://www.onyxbooxusa.com

#19  ottischwenk 12-25-2019, 04:02 PM
Quote Lparsons21
http://www.onyxbooxusa.com
Its a joke, isnt it?
OnyxBooxUSA.com is the official corporate site of Ectaco, Inc.
There you can find old crap mixed with new devices - but this isnt Onyx.
More help I can find in the built in manual of Likebook devices and contacting the Likebook shop.

#20  Lparsons21 12-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Its a joke, isnt it?
There you can find old crap mixed with new devices - but this isnt Onyx.
More help I can find in the built in manual of Likebook devices and contacting the Likebook shop.

That’s why they have a contact screen, so you can get answers or help if the FAQs don’t cover your issue. But all that said, this is the last response to the Likebook vs Onyx type questions. You like the Likebooks, I’m not enamored of them. My Mars is busy gathering dust because I dawdled when I bought it and didn’t just send it back.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register