Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for September 2019 • Labour of Love: Working Class
#41  Victoria 08-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Quote issybird
DT = Dead Tree, i.e., paper.
Thanks! Shoudda got that

#42  issybird 08-06-2019, 07:28 AM
We've got a day to go and there are a lot of nominations still in hand, in case anyone has had a last minute light bulb moment about the perfect book.

#43  Catlady 08-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Even though it's late, I've decided to go ahead and nominate John Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle (1936, 302 pp.).

At once a relentlessly fast-paced, admirably observed novel of social unrest and the story of a young man's struggle for identity, In Dubious Battle is set in the California apple country, where a strike by migrant workers against rapacious landowners spirals out of control, as a principled defiance metamorphoses into blind fanaticism. Caught in the upheaval is Jim Nolan, a once aimless man who find himself in the course of the strike, briefly becomes its leader, and is ultimately crushed in its service.
Amazon U.S., $12.99

Both e-book and audiobook are in Overdrive and available in all relevant countries. There's also a copy of the e-book at the Internet Archive.

#44  gmw 08-07-2019, 11:35 PM
Quote Victoria
Quote issybird
DT = Dead Tree, i.e., paper.
Thanks! Shoudda got that
Well it could have been "Dear Text" - in either expensive or cherished sense, both would work for various paper books I have here.

#45  Victoria 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Quote gmw
Well it could have been "Dear Text" - in either expensive or cherished sense, both would work for various paper books I have here.
Good one! I’ve got too many of both sorts myself.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register