Mobileread
Iliad Prorder in germany
#21  CommanderROR 04-04-2006, 02:50 PM
the ways of iRex are mysterious...^^

#22  CommanderROR 04-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Finally an answer to the battery-question:

"Dear Mr. Rohde,

The iLiad only uses power when a page is updated, the 10000 page turns is based on the available battery charge divided by the amount of energy needed for a display update. A more realistic model is that users download (wireless/wired) ones a day available content (like a newspaper) and read for 3 hours per day on the device in which case the battery needs to be recharged every week. If more frequent connections are made or the device is used interactively (e.g. writing on the device) the battery life is of course reduced"

That is good enough for me...now if they manage to finalize their pricing and make it a bit moe affordable...then I'll get one right away...

#23  drachasor 04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, Mr. Rohde, here's hoping for a sub $700(US) price. I'll be crossing my fingers with you.

#24  marc59 04-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Quote Liviu_5
It is an interesting question, does a company charge VAT based on its location, rather than on the buyer's location?
I'm a small business owner in the EU with a lot of customers from outside the EU (mainly American).

As an EU based company I do not have to charge VAT to customers outside the EU. It is expected that non-EU customers pay VAT in their own country, should this have a VAT of course.

Hope this helps!

Marc.

#25  Laurens 04-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Quote marc59
As an EU based company I do not have to charge VAT to customers outside the EU. It is expected that non-EU customers pay VAT in their own country, should this have a VAT of course.
This is correct. I was wrong earlier. For exporting products outside the EU, a EU-based company does NOT have to charge VAT. Actually, they'd have to use the "0% tariff".

So yes, the 549 euro price would be correct for US customers. However, since the dollar is so weak (or, conversely, the euro is so expensive) you still end up with a price of $675 against the current exchange rate.

#26  Liviu_5 04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi,

Also note that if the company marks the item as a gift, you probably do not have to pay duty on it as long as it is under some ceiling. I do not know whether this would apply to the Irex since I bought only books/dvd's from Europe/Asia and they are definitely cheaper
However I presume there will be a company selling Irex specifically for N. America pretty soon after Irex will get released, like the companies that sell the Librie.
The price is still way too high as of now. I own a used but decent Fujitsu tablet from 2002 got last year under 300$ on Ebay with original price in the 2-3k range, and now after several years you can get a new or almost new far better tablet under 1k. I do not need one but the offer is there. So at ~600$ I do not see the Irex getting a foothold outside business (if even there). I like how it looks and the specs, offer it at ~400$ total cost, I would get it.

Liviu

Quote Laurens
This is correct. I was wrong earlier. For exporting products outside the EU, a EU-based company does NOT have to charge VAT. Actually, they'd have to use the "0% tariff".

So yes, the 549 euro price would be correct for US customers. However, since the dollar is so weak (or, conversely, the euro is so expensive) you still end up with a price of $675 against the current exchange rate.

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register