Mobileread
Onyx 27 October Announcement
#1  WillAdams 10-31-2022, 10:27 AM
Not seeing any discussion of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g69oMk2iIaw

The Tab Ultra is really tempting to me:

https://shop.boox.com/products/tab

(probably would have ordered one if I didn't have the Kindle Scribe pre-ordered already)

One feature I'm not seeing discussed --- does it have the ability to function as an e-ink display over HDMI? (in particular for a Raspberry Pi 4)

#2  WillAdams 10-31-2022, 11:33 AM
Two other questions:

- can it run the Kindle App? Is that a reasonable way to read books?

- how well does Nebo.app run on it? EDIT: apparently the native note app is based on this technology

#3  dkccerbero 10-31-2022, 11:37 AM
I'd like to know also if the Tab ultra can (like a 2 in 1 or a Notebook could) use the USBC to be connected to a projector via HDMI...

#4  Renate 10-31-2022, 01:20 PM
Theoretically, the two new big ones use a Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 which has the potential to do DisplayPort over USB Type C if they built it into the kernel.
The 665 belongs to mid-range SoC like the 730, 730G.
I don't believe the 662 (NoteAir2, NovaAir2) support DisplayPort.

#5  kandwo 10-31-2022, 01:59 PM
Quote WillAdams
Two other questions:

- can it run the Kindle App? Is that a reasonable way to read books?

- how well does Nebo.app run on it?
It does run the Kindle app, as other Onyx devices already do. It should be a feasible way to read your books. It will probably be slower than using a Kindle directly, but I'm unsure how noticeable that will be. I also know that Onyx has optimized the performance of the Kindle app in some recent update.

However, the PPI is rather low - 227 instead of 300 of the Amazon Scribe (or basically any 6-8 inch reader out there outside of budget models) - and therefore the experience won't be as pleasant.

#6  downeaster59 10-31-2022, 02:36 PM
The real shocker in the Tab Ultra is that is has... gasp!!! ... a microSD card slot!!!!!

That slot, and the 128 GB of internal storage, could make this an interesting alternative to the Note series.

Edit: For reading purposes.... Unless you're reading pdfs often, I'd go with the Nova Air 2 as a better option. 7.8 inch display, 300 dpi. For me, it's become the ideal size for a reader. Six inch displays are doable but now seem a bit small; 20 inch displays ore okay but seem a bit too big!

#7  csdvrx 10-31-2022, 07:35 PM
Quote Renate
Theoretically, the two new big ones use a Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 which has the potential to do DisplayPort over USB Type C if they built it into the kernel.
And if they didn't, we can try to compile modules: Onyx helpfully provides /proc/config.gz

They don't release their source, and the different ksyms may be a problem, but nothing is impossible with a System.map + some time

#8  kandwo 11-01-2022, 02:51 AM
Quote downeaster59
The real shocker in the Tab Ultra is that is has... gasp!!! ... a microSD card slot!!!!!

That slot, and the 128 GB of internal storage, could make this an interesting alternative to the Note series.

Edit: For reading purposes.... Unless you're reading pdfs often, I'd go with the Nova Air 2 as a better option. 7.8 inch display, 300 dpi. For me, it's become the ideal size for a reader. Six inch displays are doable but now seem a bit small; 20 inch displays ore okay but seem a bit too big!
The Nova Air 2 on the other hand did not get the SD card slot and only has 32GB storage. That makes no sense to me as both the Tab Ultra and Leaf 2 will now have an SD card slot.

I agree that the 7.8 inch size is pleasant to use. It's also quite good for manga and smaller sized BW comics. And those are exactly what would need more storage - the space on my Nova 3 is running low due to all the comics I have loaded onto it. Some I could read online using Tachiyomi, but then the battery dies quickly..

The Nova 5 (Chinese market only) seems a better deal with both page turn buttons and an SD card slot.

#9  downeaster59 11-01-2022, 07:35 AM
Quote kandwo
The Nova Air 2 on the other hand did not get the SD card slot and only has 32GB storage. That makes no sense to me as both the Tab Ultra and Leaf 2 will now have an SD card slot.

I agree that the 7.8 inch size is pleasant to use. It's also quite good for manga and smaller sized BW comics. And those are exactly what would need more storage - the space on my Nova 3 is running low due to all the comics I have loaded onto it. Some I could read online using Tachiyomi, but then the battery dies quickly..

The Nova 5 (Chinese market only) seems a better deal with both page turn buttons and an SD card slot.
I see that the Leaf 2 has an sd card slot. That has a seven inch screen. That is a decent option!

#10  danicca 11-01-2022, 01:42 PM
I'm also very curious about Leaf, but I haven't seen review/video anywhere. Hoping it will show up somewhere soon.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register