Mobileread
calibre metadata file on kindle oasis
#1  galaxyhub 03-23-2020, 03:44 AM
How long do you think it takes to rebuild a corrupt 'calibre metadata' file on a kindle oasis 32gb, so at the moment there are over 3000 books on there.

image »

Nearly 15 minutes is a bit excessive. How does the file become corrupted - I do not know, it happens quite often and I am extremely careful when it comes to plugging and un-plugging the kindle, I make sure all jobs are finished but still it corrupts for no reason at all, not often and not repeatable.

Maybe there is another method or some additional steps that can be taken to reduce this time. Backups come to mind, either on device or on the PC, or both and check which is newer.

#2  kovidgoyal 03-23-2020, 04:35 AM
rebuilding that file involves reading metadata from all files on the kindle. Its going to take a while. And if it is getting corrupted often it points to hardware issues, try resetting your reader and/or reformatting its filesystem.

#3  jhowell 03-23-2020, 07:51 AM
Quote galaxyhub
...I am extremely careful when it comes to plugging and un-plugging the kindle, I make sure all jobs are finished but still it corrupts for no reason at all, not often and not repeatable.
Are you doing an "eject" of the device through the OS or calibre before unplugging?

#4  Sirtel 03-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Possibly something is wrong with your Kindle or your computer. I have used various models of the Kindle Oasis since 2016, all books on them have been sideloaded from Calibre and I've never had a corrupted database.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register