Mobileread
Any way to disable hardware rendering in the new reader?
#11  DNSB 03-09-2020, 06:02 PM
Quote sjfan
Kovid linked the info above: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html

The environment variable you want is:

QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu"
Not sure if this works but from the referenced web page, it appears possible that you could use:

QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu" ebook-viewer

to disable using the GPU only for the calibre's ebook viewer.

#12  sjfan 03-09-2020, 10:14 PM
Quote DNSB
Not sure if this works but from the referenced web page, it appears possible that you could use:

QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu" ebook-viewer

to disable using the GPU only for the calibre's ebook viewer.
That'd work if you were running the ebook viewer from a command line shell, which he probably isn't.

The environment variable itself is what you need to set wherever Kuram's OS stores those things (https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm if it's some version of Windows).

If you really want to have it affect only the ebook-viewer and not other QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM programs, you could make a batch file that sets it and runs ebook-viewer and set that as your default program to open epubs. It's fairly unlikely he's got any other QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM programs installed other than calibre, though, so that's probably overkill (especially since he's having trouble just setting the environment variable).

#13  Kuram 03-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Well I don't know what else is qtwebengine_chromium so I can't say for certain. The viewer is already my default, but you're correct I typically just open books through calibre itself. This is my first time fiddling with environment variables so yes it's pretty new to me, I wouldn't consider myself a power user in any form (win10)

So does this make sense? Or the value has to be true? Or something else still flying over my head?
image ».

#14  sjfan 03-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Quote Kuram
Well I don't know what else is qtwebengine_chromium so I can't say for certain. The viewer is already my default, but you're correct I typically just open books through calibre itself. This is my first time fiddling with environment variables so yes it's pretty new to me, I wouldn't consider myself a power user in any form (win10)

So does this make sense? Or the value has to be true? Or something else still flying over my head?
image ».

Variable name should be QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS.
Variable value should be --disable-gpu.

You don't need the "ebook-viewer" there; that's from an example of running the viewer from the commandline.

#15  DNSB 03-10-2020, 05:59 PM
Quote sjfan
Variable name should be QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS.
Variable value should be --disable-gpu.

You don't need the "ebook-viewer" there; that's from an example of running the viewer from the commandline.
Which is where I quite often run the ebook viewer from. You mean everyone else doesn't use calibre and it's bits and pieces the same way I do? Shock and horror!

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register