Mobileread
Aura HD Kobo Aura HD wireless connecting to Calibre
#11  davidfor 12-24-2015, 07:06 AM
Quote Ad2
Hi david

I open the browser and type in the address bar:

http://10.0.0.70:8080/

The 10.0.0.70 and the port 8080 I got from Calibre by clicking on Connect/share then Start Content Server. I also clicked 'ok' on Start wireless device connection.
That should be OK. Have you opened the firewall on the PC?

#12  Ad2 12-24-2015, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure about the firewall - I'm not the most tech savvy guy

My Kobo browser works fine and I update Kobo firmware via wifi sync. I also have other devices (tablet, pvr, blu-ray) connected to my pc via wifi and they all work fine. This is the first time I have had problems with wifi so I'm not sure about the firewall.

#13  EldRick 12-24-2015, 01:51 PM
You have to plug the reader into USB power to charge it anyway. Might as well upload the books while it's tethered for a few hours.

#14  davidfor 12-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Quote Ad2
I'm not sure about the firewall - I'm not the most tech savvy guy

My Kobo browser works fine and I update Kobo firmware via wifi sync. I also have other devices (tablet, pvr, blu-ray) connected to my pc via wifi and they all work fine. This is the first time I have had problems with wifi so I'm not sure about the firewall.
Can the tablet browse to calibre? If so, the firewall is open. If not, the firewall is the most likely reason.

#15  Ad2 12-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Tried it on my tablet but no luck connecting browser to calibre

How do I go about fixing my firewall settings - is this something I need to ring my isp for?

#16  davidfor 12-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Quote Ad2
Tried it on my tablet but no luck connecting browser to calibre

How do I go about fixing my firewall settings - is this something I need to ring my isp for?
If you are only trying to do this on your local network, you should only need to open the appropriate port on the computer running the calibre server. How to do that depend on the OS you are running. I would recommend using Google to find the instructions.

#17  Ken Maltby 12-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Quote Ad2
Hi david

I open the browser and type in the address bar:

http://10.0.0.70:8080/

The 10.0.0.70 and the port 8080 I got from Calibre by clicking on Connect/share then Start Content Server. I also clicked 'ok' on Start wireless device connection.
The "Content Server" is separate from the "Wireless device connection". The Content Server serves up calibre's library in two formats; in HTML, for your browser and as an OPDS Catalog, that KOReader's OPDS support makes use of.

The Wireless device connection interacts with a program on your device; a calibre companion type program/function (or plugin in KOReader's case) to allow you to send multiple selected items from calibre's library to your device. A device Icon will be created in calibre, to represent the wirelessly connected device.

With the Content Server, you can search a listing of books in your caliber library up and running on your PC, and select a book to download/pull to your device. With the OPDS version you first see a page to select how you want to have the listing displayed:
By Newest
By Title
By Authors
By Languages
By Publisher
By Rating
By Series
By Tags

Luck;
Ken

#18  Ad2 12-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Thanks for explaining that Ken. I've always loved my Kobo but have never fully understood a lot of the functions it has and how to use them. I've always been more than content enjoying just plain reading on it but knowing these things does make it easy, convenient and a bit more fun to use.

#19  Ad2 12-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all your help david. I really appreciate it.

ha ha DONE IT! Got it working and downloaded my first book via wifi

As you said, the problem was the firewall settings. In "Allow a program to communicate through Windows Firewall" I did have Calibre in the exceptions list, twice for some reason. But with one allowing Public and the other allowing Private. So I checked/ticked all the 4 Calibre boxes so as to allow both Calibre exceptions in the list to allow both Public and Private. And it worked.

Thanks again david.

#20  kyrusdemnati 12-28-2015, 02:25 PM
dropbox dosnt seem to download files now

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register