Mobileread
NADSAT Translation dictionary
#21  Doitsu 02-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Quote PoP
Is there a way to bypass this problem? My future v0.5 dictionary needs this font to properly render Klingon translations!
If you really want to generate a Kingon dictionary for the Kindle, you're in luck. Thanks to the code2000.ttf fallback font, eInk Kindles support most Klingon glyphs (and glyphs for most Tolkien conlangs) out of the box.

However, they're encoded in the Private Use Area (F8D0 - F8FF) and both books and dictionary obviously would need to use the same encoding.

(The source files are embedded in the .mobi file; use 7Zip to extract them.)
code2000_Klingon.JPG 
[mobi] klingon.mobi (27.2 KB, 316 views)

#22  twobob 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote Doitsu
If you really want to generate a Kingon dictionary for the Kindle, you're in luck. Thanks to the code2000.ttf fallback font, eInk Kindles support most Klingon glyphs (and glyphs for most Tolkien conlangs) out of the box.

However, they're encoded in the Private Use Area (F8D0 - F8FF) and both books and dictionary obviously would need to use the same encoding.

Highly impressive knowledge. : ) Joyous

#23  PoP 02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote Doitsu

Exactly Doitsu! How about that : I previously went to the trouble of embedding my font for nothing. Just by luck the klingon glyphs are already present in the fallback builtin font and since I am already using the U+F8D0 to U+F8FF encoding, once I remove my embedded font everything is still rendered perfectly for that "ordinary" book.

But my original problem remains, it is within a "dictionary" that I want to display these glyphs. And I think that unless I can produce a KF8 dictionary (Kindlegen seeing indexing only creates a KF7 mobi) the fallback font is not used. See Chelloveck :
On Kindle Keyboard 3.4 show attachment » vs Kindle Previewer show attachment »

BTW DiapDealer post in the crossed referenced forum may force me to only use latin transliterations. HIQaH! QaH!

Work in progress dictionary:
[mobi] nadsat.mobi (240.5 KB, 330 views)

#24  Doitsu 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM
I had a look at the source files and noticed some syntax errors in the .opf file.
After commenting out the .ncx, script and font sections, it seems to work.
chelloveck.JPG 
[mobi] nadsat.mobi (209.4 KB, 374 views)

#25  twobob 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM
I, for one, thank you both.

Qapla

EDIT: showing that it works in all FONT STYLE TYPES
Selection_225.png Selection_226.png Selection_228.png Selection_227.png 

#26  PoP 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote Doitsu
I had a look at the source files and noticed some syntax errors in the .opf file.
After commenting out the .ncx, script and font sections, it seems to work.
Fantastic Mobi Master. I will study the corrections and will do-it-so.

Initialy your .mobi gave me the same problem. But then, I removed the (Droid) font hack I had installed and everything started to work fine after. Also, my original .mobi (the one with the syntax errors) now works fine too!

Looks like the builtin fallback font is possibly overridden by the fonthack.

Again thank you very much for the big help.

#27  PoP 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote shakaote
Do you have fonts in /mnt/us/fonts?
Good Luck! Kaplagh, or whatever!
Turns out the stock fonts contains the klingon glyphs as Doitsu demonstrated. No need to embed that font in the dictionary. But your question triggered the other half of the solution. I had the Droid font hacked installed. Once removed the klingon glyphs are rendered properly.

Thanks.

#28  PoP 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Done

Change license from MIT to Creative Commons. I like the sexier notice.

Added Klingon translation (for a single word)! I used both Klingon glyphs and latin transliteration. I hope it will entice aliens to translate all the other words.

Grab the update from the first post

#29  twobob 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM
LOL... not sure how I managed it.. but... when I downloaded the klingon.mobi I must have had two copies...

so it became:
/home/me/Downloads/Klingon (2).mobi

I threw it onto the KINDLE TOUCH device via SSH AND IT REBOOTED!!! HAHAHAH! perhaps it was the mangled name ??

anyways. no harm done. seems to be fine now. just thought I would share.

(oh the image looks a bit small on the touch) [picture 1]

looks really nice on the 3 [picture 2]
Great work.
Selection_232.png Selection_233.png 

#30  PoP 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote twobob
(oh the image looks a bit small on the touch)
Grab my Klingon v0.2 mobi from a spoiler in the first post.

I changed the aspect ratio of the cover (matching your's KUAL). Does the cover view look better aligned now?

I also fixed the html table size, and had fun with embedding fonts (thanks Doitsu).

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register